Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2019, 04:16 PM

" Not an SL.

Solid non-replaceable hanger on the SL. '

I'm with Beeatnik on this one.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:25 PM

Beautiful bikes.

I miss the fact that Moots stopped making their bikes with the integrated seatpost binder- it just looks cleaner and more elegant than the separate collars you slap on there. No doubt it's cheaper and quicker not to use the integrated binder; maybe there are practical reasons also (?)

Come to think of it none of the US Ti framebuilders I can think of still use the integrated binder except Holland. I think Stelbel and Passoni in Italy do as well.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I dont know for a fact but would suggest that the removable hanger or not has nothing to do with sl or not but rather with model year perhaps? That would be my guess at least. Likely more sls have the non replaceble as there would then be far more pre than post the change sls around.

Same for finish. Moots does not have identical finishes over the years. Its likely a bigger variance between year models than between sl or regular if there even was a difference at all between those.
Once the Compact was introduced only the SLs were made with the full Ti hanger and two cutouts. The pre-Compact Vamoots may have had full Ti hanger but no cutouts. Happycampyer can clarify.

As for the finish, the color and texture may be process dependent and, who knows, 2006 could have been the pinnacle of Moots Bead Blasting. In any case, every model I've seen and owned in the last 10 years is a variation of the same and none look like my SL. It's just a shinier, lighter gray.

Last edited by beeatnik; 10-18-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:16 PM

Terrible frames , especially in a 54cm. For your safety, I'll gladly take it off your hands, will throw in a couple hundred bucks.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:28 PM

Yup, SL's had cut outs in the drop outs. I have a 2009 Compact. Great all around bike. If this particular frame is in good shape then you should be pleased. You don't see many painted Moots. Pretty unique.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:34 PM
i ride to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowpicker View Post
" Not an SL.

Solid non-replaceable hanger on the SL. '

I'm with Beeatnik on this one.
I third this..

Old 10-18-2019, 08:31 PM

Afaik, beatnick is 100% correct. Non-SLs (Vamoots & Compact) always had solid Breezer-style dropouts, and replaceable derailleur hangers. SLs (Vamoots & Compacts) all had Breezer-style dropouts with cutouts and a non-replaceable derailleur hanger. Note that the mtb SLs had replaceable derailleur hangers, which made sense (greater risk of shearing).
Old 10-18-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
Thanks for the awesome right up Al. I know you love talking about your Moots. With that being said. If it is not an SL is it a deal breaker if it is just a Compact? Was going to trade my Madone 9 for it.
If you are looking for a Moots of this vintage, I wouldn't be dissuaded by the fact that it's not an SL. SLs generally sell for a premium, so I would make sure that you are not paying the SL premium for a non-SL frame. Also, looking at the photos in the linked album, you can see the sticker that says 3/2.5 (vs. the 6/4 Reynolds badge that was affixed to SL frames). The non-SL frames were approximately .3lbs heavier than the SL counterpart but, according to Moots, the tubing was selected for the bikes to have a similar ride quality (the 6/4 tubes of the SLs were slightly smaller in diameter than those on the non-SL counterparts).
Old 10-19-2019, 06:55 AM

Very well said and I do love the look of the paint on the moots. Unique. I’m actually trading my madone for it and we are due to chat this weekend about it. So we will see. Thanks for everyone pointing out the details and differences.

Cheers
Old 10-19-2019, 06:59 AM

It seems i stand corrected..

Bill do you know for a fact that the later versions say the few that were made on special order only before they were discontinued also had those dropouts and non replacable hangers?
Old 10-19-2019, 07:00 AM

Only other bike I’m tossing around is a Parlee z zero. Hard decision....
Old 10-19-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
It seems i stand corrected..

Bill do you know for a fact that the later versions say the few that were made on special order only before they were discontinued also had those dropouts and non replacable hangers?
Is it possible that Moots made a road SL with a replaceable hanger, I suppose so. As I noted, the mtb SLs had replaceable hangers, so it's possible. Perhaps Butch will chime in, since he was there when the SLs were made and could provide a more definitive answer. The most conclusive answer would be for the owner or huck*this to call Moots with the serial number and ask them to confirm.

In addition to the dropout, a pretty strong sign that this frame is not an SL is this sticker:

This is the decal on a standard Moots with 3/2.5 tubing, and you can just barely make out "3/2.5 titanium" on the last line of the decal.

Otoh, this is the metal "decal" or badge that was on the downtube of all of the SLs:

It seems odd to me that, when painting an SL, the painter would remove the badge and then put the wrong tubing decal on the bike.

In any case, a non-SL of this vintage is still a great bike, and the paint is nicely done and looks to be in decent shape once the bike is cleaned up.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
Only other bike I’m tossing around is a Parlee z zero. Hard decision....
Trade the MadOne for the Moots...even if it isn't a SL..that's an easy decision.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
Is it possible that Moots made a road SL with a replaceable hanger, I suppose so. As I noted, the mtb SLs had replaceable hangers, so it's possible. Perhaps Butch will chime in, since he was there when the SLs were made and could provide a more definitive answer. The most conclusive answer would be for the owner or huck*this to call Moots with the serial number and ask them to confirm.

In addition to the dropout, a pretty strong sign that this frame is not an SL is this sticker:

This is the decal on a standard Moots with 3/2.5 tubing, and you can just barely make out "3/2.5 titanium" on the last line of the decal.

Otoh, this is the metal "decal" or badge that was on the downtube of all of the SLs:

It seems odd to me that, when painting an SL, the painter would remove the badge and then put the wrong tubing decal on the bike.

In any case, a non-SL of this vintage is still a great bike, and the paint is nicely done and looks to be in decent shape once the bike is cleaned up.
Yes i agree that would be odd idd. i were speaking in general terms and not about this specific frame.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:53 AM

FWIW my Compact is not an SL and has a nonreplaceable hangar.

I would think that he SL would have stickers on it. If not then they were removed and if they were removed there could be an unscrupulous reason why.