Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2019, 12:01 PM
hoolered

OT: electric shavers

What’s up, face shavers?! I’m looking for a little insight on buying an electric shaver.
I’ve been on a wet shave, double edge safety razor regiment for years. Right now I’m considering an electric shaver to save on time, add convenience.

Has anyone made the switch from wet to electric? Anything to note? Is it even with the cost? I’m currently looking at the Braun series 9 at the $250.00 price point, any other shavers to consider? I’m concerned about obsolescence and upkeep.
I do like the low cost of my current setup but sometimes I just want to blast my face with an electric for 30 seconds and be done with it.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:21 PM

I have a Braun 7 series that’s about 8 years old. Still going strong. I replace the head about every 1.5 to 2 years. Gives a pretty good shave. The little cleaner device it comes with I think is key to the longevity and good performance. I used a mid-range Panasonic before that and the Braun crushes it.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:22 PM

Philips One Blade.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:24 PM

Depends on your face I guess. I wet shave with my electric Philips 9000. Go figure. I could never dry shave. It irritated my skin too much.

Philips has really ticked me off with their spare parts. After a few years, Philips completely redesigned the RQ1250's head for the worse. I recently picked up a 9000 series and realized the head is exactly the same. They haven't improved anything in their design - I think the battery life is pretty similar too.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummus_aquinas View Post
What’s up, face shavers?! I’m looking for a little insight on buying an electric shaver.
I’ve been on a wet shave, double edge safety razor regiment for years. Right now I’m considering an electric shaver to save on time, add convenience.

Has anyone made the switch from wet to electric? Anything to note? Is it even with the cost? I’m currently looking at the Braun series 9 at the $250.00 price point, any other shavers to consider? I’m concerned about obsolescence and upkeep.
I do like the low cost of my current setup but sometimes I just want to blast my face with an electric for 30 seconds and be done with it.
I was forced to switch to electric after I got hit by a car in 2006 and had heavy scarring on my face. I tried a rotary blade razor, and it didn’t work. I ultimately settled on a top-of-the-line Panasonic. https://shop.panasonic.com/personal-...d=mens-shavers.

I have grown to love it. It doesn’t shave as close as five-blade manual razor I was using, but I no longer get razor bumps and ingrown hairs on my face, and it is very convenient. I use a pre-shave solution sold online by lab series (https://www.labseries.com/product/15...shave-solution) or shave in the shower with soap.

I replace the foil and blades every year.

Last edited by djg21; 10-17-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:47 PM

I'll 2nd the Panasonic. While certainly not tried them all, best I've used.

I'm a wuss and my skin is a bit sensitive. Know Braun is known for that, but the Panny I owned was superior.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:52 PM

I have had a Braun since 1990. My current one is the second one (8585) and I have had it since 2006. I replace the head every two years. And I use the built-in cleaner for the head once a week. I would remove the foil to empty the loose hair before using the cleaner. Help the cleaning solution last longer and i also put the cap back on the cleaner solution so they don't evaporate as fast.

I have grown to really like foil shavers. Couple weeks ago the foil broke and while I was waiting for the delivery, I bought a Gillette Fusion razor and I just get used to it. And i was surprise to see the price for the replacement cartridges.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:19 PM
Randomhead

I used to get my cartridges for free, but my source works for a different company now, so no more promotional razors. I was looking at buying some, but I think I'll go back to electric. So this thread was timely.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:11 PM

I have several different Norelcos and they are the best for me. I used to prefer Braun foil shavers but Norelco kept improving their line. Just to try a Braun for old times sake I bought one a couple of years ago. It's good but I still prefer Norelco. My newest one has the head floating on a wand which allows it to follow curve and contours particularly well but the trimmer is a separate pice that has to be installed in place of the regular shaving head and that's a bit inconvenient. I think Norelco still offers a 30 day trial period. In fact I think they insist that a buyer try one for almost 30 days before requesting a refund because they feel it takes about that long for one's skin to adapt to the shaver.

OTOH,COSTCO has sold NORELCO and Braun so I would shop there first. The prices will be excellent and you can return anything you buy for at least a couple of months with no arguments.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:41 PM

Another vote for Norelco. Not expensive, and they do an excellent job. It's like my SPD-SL pedals, in that there may be something better, but with the Norelco I don't have a problem that needs addressing.

I'm sure the modern Panasonics are pretty good too.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:44 PM

If you are switching from wet shaving to electric, just grow a beard.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummus_aquinas View Post

...but sometimes I just want to blast my face with an electric for 30 seconds and be done with it.
Wait! Wut? You're going the wrong way!!
Join the rest of us who enjoy the quality of a straight shave.

I confess that nowadays the straight is not my daily shave because of time constraints. I do have a Braun Series 7 wet/dry and it's the best electimic razor that I've tried (best in the shower, IMO). But you won't be blasting anything very well in 30s with whatever you buy....
Old 10-17-2019, 04:35 PM

love my electric shaver
Old 10-17-2019, 05:01 PM

Where do you Panasonic users get replacement parts?
Should both blades and foil get replaced?
Old 10-17-2019, 05:09 PM

Panasonic

Bought my son an ARC 5 last year around Black Friday.
He loves it.

I had tried to get him to fall in love with DE safety razor, but for his college and summer intern routines, he loves the convenience and finds the closeness to be more than acceptable.

Like others have said; and like saddles and bibs, different folks will have different opinions.