Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Curious if a definition of shop use would be helpful.

For me, and I suspect most here, “shop use” at home is maybe 1-2 a month and that’s with 5 bikes.

At work, when I’m there since I cut back so only 2-3 times a week, but when I’m there, 4-5 times a day.

An expensive shop level tool just isn’t warranted for home shop use other than lust factor which is certainly ok. For home I have an older Parks 3.3, solid.

At the shop, I have the Shimano TL-CN 35, a very nice tool, shop grade.
I think I use my chain tool 5-7 times a year max, and that’s just to cut a new chain to length before installing the quick link.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
That's the one. I bought mine used off Ebay for less. None better.
Likely not, but at that price, it's because you want it and not because it works that much better than the other options. And wanting it is a real thing. Just ask me about my Phil Wood purchases recently.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:54 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Curious if a definition of shop use would be helpful.

For me, and I suspect most here, “shop use” at home is maybe 1-2 a month and that’s with 5 bikes.

At work, when I’m there since I cut back so only 2-3 times a week, but when I’m there, 4-5 times a day.

An expensive shop level tool just isn’t warranted for home shop use other than lust factor which is certainly ok. For home I have an older Parks 3.3, solid.

At the shop, I have the Shimano TL-CN 35, a very nice tool, shop grade.
I think there is something to be said of the higher quality craftsmanship of these "shop level" tools, which translates into easier use, prolonged life, etc. I know I'm a weekend pesudo mechanic if there ever was one, and the number of cheap vice grips, wrenches, chisels, drill bits I've broken over the years, it would have been so much cheaper to go with a proper "shop level" tool to begin with. And did I mention all those rounded off bolt heads from crappy allen keys??? I had to drill one out of a stem to get the bars out. That was expensive.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I think there is something to be said of the higher quality craftsmanship of these "shop level" tools, which translates into easier use, prolonged life, etc. I know I'm a weekend pesudo mechanic if there ever was one, and the number of cheap vice grips, wrenches, chisels, drill bits I've broken over the years, it would have been so much cheaper to go with a proper "shop level" tool to begin with. And did I mention all those rounded off bolt heads from crappy allen keys??? I had to drill one out of a stem to get the bars out. That was expensive.
Agreed. It depends on value to the buyer to some extent. I finally spent money on some good allen keys this year after rounding off more bolt heads that I care to recall. Might be the best cycling tool decision I have ever made. Bought a set of Bondhu and a set of Wiha. For the combined price they have been solid - literally - no rounding off.

I found that the cheaper chain tools did not allow me as much leverage to turn the crank. The pricier one had larger handles and provided me more of a grip and made the job 100% easier.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:33 PM
Vendor

I pushed really hard for more tools including the chain tool while at Lezyne. I played with prototypes. The final version is very good. I really like it. I also like the original Shimano chain tool(CH32 and CN34/35) and the Campy. The Campy is a bit complicated for constant daily use but it's an excellent tool.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:19 PM

Eklind

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
And did I mention all those rounded off bolt heads from crappy allen keys??? I had to drill one out of a stem to get the bars out.
In my experience, 4mm or greater, no threat of rounding with crappy allen keys. 3mm and below: precise tools matter.

That being said, I've had a good experience with humbly made in the USA and affordable Eklind tools.

Sorry for the aside, back to chain breakers.