Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2019, 07:28 PM

Don't screw around...get the Campagnolo. Easily the most precise tool of it's kind I've ever worked with. Well worth the extra coin. Trust me on this. (I think Park tools in general are garbage)

Last edited by Jeff N.; 10-17-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
Don't screw around...get the Campagnolo. Easily the most precise tool of it's kind I've ever worked with. Well worth the extra coin. Trust me on this. (I think Park tools in general are garbage)
Which one are you talking about? The one that I saw for 11 speed is $175 on sale! It better be worth the coin at that price.

https://www.amazon.com/Campagnolo-Ch...80762070&psc=1
Old 10-17-2019, 08:21 PM

The Abbey Decades was on my Christmas list last year. Do it! My heart quickens it’s pace every time I use it, and it will last well beyond my grandchildren.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
Which one are you talking about? The one that I saw for 11 speed is $175 on sale! It better be worth the coin at that price.

https://www.amazon.com/Campagnolo-Ch...80762070&psc=1
That's the one. I bought mine used off Ebay for less. None better.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:48 PM

If you’re spending the coin on the campy, buy the Abbey instead. It can everything the campy tool does and it relatively future proof.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:10 PM

I have been using a Rohloff Revolver for daily shop use about 18 years now. It has worked perfectly for thousands of chains. It also peens chains together It works so good, I bought a Revolver 3 last year for 11 and 12 speed. I know it's more than your budget, but I don't like buying tools I use a lot often.

Last edited by bikinchris; 10-18-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:14 AM
ZhugeLiang

Heavy use - park tool CT-5 mini

Not sure if this is considered shop quality but I have got two of this, one for regular use in the garage and the other I carry on my rides and it get used quite a bit too for me and for others. It worked fine, and is affordable, no need to re-invent the wheel.

Last edited by weisan; 10-18-2019 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:55 AM

+1 for the Abbey Decades. Everything they make is top-notch and this is no exception.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

I have a Campagnolo 10s tool and the 11/12s tool but for just breaking the chain..the Pedros Tutti is a around $50 'shop level' tool, as was asked. Stay away from the $10 pocket ones..they may be fine for your seat bag but 'shop level', as in numerous use, they are not..
Old 10-18-2019, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Took the file to the Pedros one i have last night and it works fine now, but i think i'll upgrade to the abbey somewhere down the road, only because i like nice tools, but no rush.

i'm also only using it to break the chain, i pretty much use only KMC chains with the quick link.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Took the file to the Pedros one i have last night and it works fine now, but i think i'll upgrade to the abbey somewhere down the road, only because i like nice tools, but no rush.

i'm also only using it to break the chain, i pretty much use only KMC chains with the quick link.
Glad you got it sorted. That said - I'm sure if you were to reach out to Pedros, they'd still take care of you. A quality tool shouldn't need modification out of the box to make it work as designed.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
Glad you got it sorted. That said - I'm sure if you were to reach out to Pedros, they'd still take care of you. A quality tool shouldn't need modification out of the box to make it work as designed.
i agree.

in this case, it was a couple minute project with a file and i'm good, but if it were not that easy, i would have reached out to Pedros. Sometimes, you can not improve unless you are aware of the problem.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i agree.

in this case, it was a couple minute project with a file and i'm good, but if it were not that easy, i would have reached out to Pedros. Sometimes, you can not improve unless you are aware of the problem.
I'm in the same boat, probably more hassle to go through the process of getting a replacement than 5min with the file.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I have a Campagnolo 10s tool and the 11/12s tool but for just breaking the chain..the Pedros Tutti is a around $50 'shop level' tool, as was asked. Stay away from the $10 pocket ones..they may be fine for your seat bag but 'shop level', as in numerous use, they are not..
Curious if a definition of shop use would be helpful.

For me, and I suspect most here, “shop use” at home is maybe 1-2 a month and that’s with 5 bikes.

At work, when I’m there since I cut back so only 2-3 times a week, but when I’m there, 4-5 times a day.

An expensive shop level tool just isn’t warranted for home shop use other than lust factor which is certainly ok. For home I have an older Parks 3.3, solid.

At the shop, I have the Shimano TL-CN 35, a very nice tool, shop grade.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:51 AM

I think when I use the term shop use it should mean that the tool works every time without fail whether it’s been 10 minutes or two years since I have used it. Chain tools in particular seem to me to be the best tool to buy a shop grade design because once you get outside of that level the quality drops significantly. I’ve had cheapies break after a single use. I simply cannot handle that.

Is there a difference in cost between Abbey and a tl-cn34? For sure, and there probably isn’t a $100 worth of value difference in tool design, but once you factor in USA made, future proof, etc that adds a ton of value. Just since I bought a decade last year AXS was released and I had to buy a 12 speed plate for my decade, with other designs I would’ve just thrown out the whole tool.