Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2019, 04:24 AM

Another really good steel option is Marinoni...Piuma Supreme.
Made in Quebec with Canadian pricing...with the crappy exchange, it’s almost free for you Americans!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2019, 04:57 AM

Not steel, but if a No 22 Great Divide pops up in your size and budget then it is basically the bike you seek. Clearance for 28s, a slightly larger headtube and smooth ride while remaining responsive. I am pushing 40 myself and the Great Divide is my go to road bike. It is just the perfect bike for me
Old 10-17-2019, 08:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by msasky View Post
I'm not committed to rim brakes but like the aesthetic. New Speedvagens are not in the budget. I'm inherently cheap and love a used bike. This time I've got a bit more of a budget but still have to stay married...
http://www.habcycles.com/

PLUS some group buys from the great people who habitat this forum and the classifieds and bob's yer uncle.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-17-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:30 AM

Independent fabrications steel bikes are very very nice! I have had like 8 or something and was never dissapointed.

A club racer would fit your needs quite well i would think. 32mm tires is more than plenty even for rough roads imo.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Steve Rex has relocated out of Sacramento, no?
I believe Rex downsized from having a shop to building out of his home workshop, but is still in Sacramento area.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
i'll also second a used trek domane. You mentioned smooth and plush, the domane is just that and lots of room for wide tires.
+1
Old 10-17-2019, 11:54 AM

Moots Routt
Old 10-17-2019, 12:45 PM
Total Fred

+1 for Gunnar. I've owned a lot of nice road bikes. There will always be a Gunnar in the fleet and, more often than not, I'll want to ride that more than anything else.

Tai
Old 10-17-2019, 02:48 PM

there is a Sachs in your size in the Classifieds now. I would jump all over that one.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:08 PM

This is embarrassing but, seven years ago I bought a Bridgestone RB-T from @PJN with the idea of a winter trainer and it's been on the hook all this time completely forgotten about. I looked at the geo and compared it to the Black Mountain Cycles roadie that was suggested and they're almost identical. 430mm chainstays, 70mm BB drop, 55mm trail, 173 headtube w/ king threadless headset.

I just pulled it down to take another look. It's possible that the bike I've been looking for has been here the whole time waiting for some love.

I'm bikeless, out of shape and my pants are more comfortable without the top button. I think I need to build this thing up as intended with a light and get moving. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
surly cross check

Not plush, but it'll take fat tires that are...
Old 10-17-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
This is embarrassing but, seven years ago I bought a Bridgestone RB-T from @PJN with the idea of a winter trainer and it's been on the hook all this time completely forgotten about. I looked at the geo and compared it to the Black Mountain Cycles roadie that was suggested and they're almost identical. 430mm chainstays, 70mm BB drop, 55mm trail, 173 headtube w/ king threadless headset.

I just pulled it down to take another look. It's possible that the bike I've been looking for has been here the whole time waiting for some love.

I'm bikeless, out of shape and my pants are more comfortable without the top button. I think I need to build this thing up as intended with a light and get moving. I'll keep you posted.
That's perfect.

Throw on a new drivetrain if you're feeling spendy, or else just new tires will get you rocking and rolling.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:19 PM

Rim-brake Trek Domane bikes are ridiculously cheap right now - you can get an SLR model with the IsoSpeed up front for not much money - it'll take 30c tires no problem - set them up tubeless, drop the pressure, and enjoy the ride...

Of course, if you can swing it, a Kirk "Montana Road Bike" or Ellis "Strada Fango" would give you everything you want and do so with style and grace.

One thing to watch for - just because a bike can fit 30-32s, doesn't mean its geometry was designed to do so. Putting big tires on a bike designed for 23s, even if they fit, compromises handling significantly.

If you want to run bigger tires with rim brakes, and go steel, there is no better option in the affordable realm than a Black Mountain Cycle road frame. You could build a used BMC frameset with R8000 wide-range gearing and some used handbuilt wheels from the classifieds for probably under $1500, maybe under $1200 - and have an incredibly capable and durable bike.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Hell yeah. Also, movement helps you lose weight if/when it inspires you to change your eating and live a healthier life, but it's not a cure-all. I ride a LOT - but still gain weight unless I am disciplined in the kitchen and at the bar/pub. Once you get fat, those cells love to get/stay plump - ask me how I know - stupid choices by 20-yr old me really hozed 40-yr old me
Old 10-17-2019, 03:28 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:

Wow, the perfect answer right there. That's a great story, and now you can finally love that RB-T for many miles and years.
Please post photos. Those are super bicycles.