Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Fire. Berhalter. Today.

That was embarrassing. Score should have been much, much worse if not for Aaron Long.

So tactically naïve, once again GB failed to adjust. He is so inflexible. He got outcoached AGAIN.

World Cup qualification is not a sure thing at this point. I'd put it at 50/50. They are a wreck.
Only consolation is that Costa Rica appears mightily sh**e as well, so maybe we have a chance?

No spine; no solidity. And don't expect much to change

Nepotism at its finest

And to think, this team could have been coached by Jesse Marsch...
Old 10-16-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
damn, the MNT gets a deux-a-zéro, at the hands of Canada, no less

pathetic...

Berlhalter out
MNT was ranked 21st in the world, while Canada was ranked 75th.

Last edited by wc1934; 10-16-2019 at 01:23 PM. Reason: -
Old 10-16-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
MNT was ranked 21st in the world, while Canada was ranked 75th.
FIFA rankings are massive s***e

Elo ranking has the U.S. at 43, with Canada at 56. Sounds about right
Old 10-16-2019, 07:49 PM

Also, @wc1934, did you know that SSC Napoli plays a song by the Village People before every home match.

Just by chance, i found the name of the tune that I often hear at football matches (including by Oranje fans at 2019 World Cup). Turns out quite a few teams have their own version of the song, which in its original form was supposed to be a jab at the USSR
Old 10-17-2019, 06:44 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Also, @wc1934, did you know that SSC Napoli plays a song by the Village People before every home match.

Just by chance, i found the name of the tune that I often hear at football matches (including by Oranje fans at 2019 World Cup). Turns out quite a few teams have their own version of the song, which in its original form was supposed to be a jab at the USSR
which songwould that be?

Also, i thought the best Napoli song is the Maradona song: Oh mamma mamma mamma, oh mamma mamma mamma, sai perché mi batte il cuore, ho visto Maradona, ho visto Maradona, ué mammà, innamorato so'!
Old 10-17-2019, 08:36 AM

Pet shop boys - Go West, which is a cover of Village People’s song of the same name, which itself is inspired by Pachebel’s Canon in D Major

Used by, among others, PSG, Arsenal (with the lyric 1-nil to the Arsenal), SSC Napoli, etc

The song itself is campy, kitschy, and dripping with irony, but fit right in at stadia across Europe

Last edited by echappist; 10-17-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Awesome - thanks for sharing - heard that song a million times but didnt know it was a Village People/Pet shop boys song.

This could start an interesting thread of anthems etc.

Tuesday Liechtenstein played at home against Italy. Their anthem had the same melody as God Save the Queen.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
which songwould that be?

Also, i thought the best Napoli song is the Maradona song: Oh mamma mamma mamma, oh mamma mamma mamma, sai perché mi batte il cuore, ho visto Maradona, ho visto Maradona, ué mammà, innamorato so'!

Haha - yup. He was our superstar who made our hearts beat - but look at him now.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:04 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Pet shop boys - Go West, which is a cover of Village People’s song of the same name, which itself is inspired by Pachebel’s Canon in D Major

Used by, among others, PSG, Arsenal (with the lyric 1-nil to the Arsenal), SSC Napoli, etc

The song itself is campy, kitschy, and dripping with irony, but fit right in at stadia across Europe
well it would be a lot shorter if we named clubs where that isn't played (like seven nation army)... Never thought anyone cared about the lyrics. In my stadium, they use "ole super fcb" and i imagine its the same all around.

There are, imo, very few songs that are exclusive to just one club. Even "you'll never walk alone" was adapted by every club soda created club in the world.

Last edited by martl; 10-17-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Awesome - thanks for sharing - heard that song a million times but didnt know it was a Village People/Pet shop boys song.

This could start an interesting thread of anthems etc.

Tuesday Liechtenstein played at home against Italy. Their anthem had the same melody as God Save the Queen.
ah, thanks for that. Didn't realize it.

personally, I've always found etymology and musical inspirations to be interesting (I guess i'm sort of a history junky)

For instance, outside Germany, the German national anthem is more commonly heard as a church hymn

And for England, they also play Jerusalem (using verses inspired by those of William Blake's "And did those feet in ancient time") at various sporting events, as God Save the Queen is viewed more as an anthem for Great Britain as a whole

Quote:
well it would be a lot shorter if we named clubs where that isn't played (like seven nation army)... Never thought anyone cared about the lyrics. In my stadium, they use "ole super fcb" and i imagine its the same all around.

There are, imo, very few songs that are exclusive to just one club. Even "you'll never walk alone" was adapted by every club soda created club in the world.
fair point. I had thought it had "higher brow" inspirations (similar to how the Triumphal March from Aida gets co-opted at football stadia across the globe). I didn't realize it's really traced to the Village People instead (albeit with hints of classical inspiration)

Too bad that YNWA gets co-opted by everyone. It should only be sang at Anfield, preferably on an European night

and by club soda created club, you are thinking of Red Bull Salzburg/Leipzig, right?

Last edited by echappist; 10-17-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:09 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
For instance, outside Germany, the German national anthem is more commonly heard as a church hymn
Heh, fair. It' s by Haydn, actually. Has been used/copied by many. I knida like it (and as an after-war-child i'm a bit allergic to explicit nationalism) for a german hymn, it is pleasantly un-bombastic.
Quote:
and by club soda created club, you are thinking of Red Bull Salzburg/Leipzig, right?
yep, as they are the posterboys of the test-tube clubs.

I remebered a couple of one-club only songs. Schalke have the "Steigerlied" which is a miners song and refers to the clubs history, but a few other clubs located in mining areas use it as well. Bayerns Kurve recently added the "Europapokalmarsch" to their repertoire, as well as the "Wembleylied", both refer to the triple-winning season 2013.

come to think of it, it is easier to find abusive songs (sung by opponents supporters) that are dedicated to a specific club. We are the only club on earth to be told to drop our leather pants everywhere we go, for example

Last edited by martl; 10-17-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
ah, thanks for that. Didn't realize it.

personally, I've always found etymology and musical inspirations to be interesting (I guess i'm sort of a history junky)

And for England, they also play Jerusalem (using verses inspired by those of William Blake's "And did those feet in ancient time") at various sporting events, as God Save the Queen is viewed more as an anthem for Great Britain as a whole

fair point. I had thought it had "higher brow" inspirations (similar to how the Triumphal March from Aida gets co-opted at football stadia across the globe). I didn't realize it's really traced to the Village People instead (albeit with hints of classical inspiration)

Too bad that YNWA gets co-opted by everyone. It should only be sang at Anfield, preferably on an European night

Thanks for clarification.
Martl - that went right over my head.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Heh, fair. It' s by Haydn, actually. Has been used/copied by many. I knida like it (and as an after-war-child i'm a bit allergic to explicit nationalism) for a german hymn, it is pleasantly un-bombastic.

yep, as they are the posterboys of the test-tube clubs.

I remebered a couple of one-club only songs. Schalke have the "Steigerlied" which is a miners song and refers to the clubs history, but a few other clubs located in mining areas use it as well. Bayerns Kurve recently added the "Europapokalmarsch" to their repertoire, as well as the "Wembleylied", both refer to the triple-winning season 2013.

come to think of it, it is easier to find abusive songs (sung by opponents supporters) that are dedicated to a specific club. We are the only club on earth to be told to drop our leather pants everywhere we go, for example
Certainly less bombastic than Zadok the Priest, written by another German (or does he count)? The Brits love it so much, that they play it at coronations of their kings and queens.

Of course, to those of us on this thread, we probably snicker a bit and think of the following when we hear it: "Die Meister, Die Besten, Les grandes équipes"
Old 10-17-2019, 05:28 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
...I would argue that if you teleported Cruyff, Pele or Beckenbauer on the pitch of any 2nd division match in any of the leading leagues today, they wouldn't know what hit them.
Flip it....teleport any player today back to then...they would not know what hit them...literally. Red card tackles today, were barely a foul back then...

Cheers.

For technical skill...check out George Best Not bad work with a waterlogged leather ball....and probably being half in the bag.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:43 AM

I've found Sid Lowe of The Guardian to write some of the best articles on football

Unlike some of his colleagues, who just churn things out, there's something deliberate and focused in his writing, while not being affected by the topic de jour.

I remember him writing about Inaki Williams and Athletics Club, and thought his latest piece on Rodri of Man City to be interesting