Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2021, 09:23 PM

Smile Brake Bleed Kit and Mineral Oil Recommendations Needed

I am looking for recommendations on a brake bleed kit to service a Tektro R290 Flat Mount Hydraulic Disc Brakes (from a 2020 hybrid bike) using mineral oil.

1. Any pros/cons on some kits? I have noticed that some kits have two syringes. Some with brass fittings vs plastic. Assuming brass fittings are better. I have seen a few folks in the forum happy with Revmega from Amazon, which is about one-tenth the cost of the brake bleed kit from Park Tool. With so many kits to choose from with varying parts in each, not exactly sure which to get.

2. Are all mineral oil the same or are there some with a different viscosity?

3. Any recommendations on mineral oil brand to buy?

Thanks
Old 04-20-2021, 07:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastend123 View Post
I am looking for recommendations on a brake bleed kit to service a Tektro R290 Flat Mount Hydraulic Disc Brakes (from a 2020 hybrid bike) using mineral oil.

1. Any pros/cons on some kits? I have noticed that some kits have two syringes. Some with brass fittings vs plastic. Assuming brass fittings are better. I have seen a few folks in the forum happy with Revmega from Amazon, which is about one-tenth the cost of the brake bleed kit from Park Tool. With so many kits to choose from with varying parts in each, not exactly sure which to get.

2. Are all mineral oil the same or are there some with a different viscosity?

3. Any recommendations on mineral oil brand to buy?

Thanks
Can't even speel disk breaks but seems like a 'Tektro' branded one would be best, si?

https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Tektro-.../dp/B004589OQ4
Old 04-20-2021, 07:52 AM

I don't have hydro disc but have wondered about the fluid.
When I saw mineral oil was one of the ones used, I thought, can I just hope over to the drug store and get a bottle of cheap(er) or does it have to be OEM stuff? Would using non OEM or recommended oil also compromise warranties in any way?
Old 04-20-2021, 08:50 AM

I bought this when everything else was out of stock: https://www.performancebike.com/bunn...-28044/p775206

Now I see it is out of stock, too. Worked great and was cheap! If you can find it elsewhere, have no qualms about it.

FWIW, I have heard of emergency (?) use of store bought mineral oil with no issues.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:16 PM

And can brakes that originally used dot fluid use mineral oil?
Old 04-20-2021, 06:20 PM

I have the Tektro kit for my Hylex brakes. I find it somewhat annoying (no, strike the "somewhat") as the tubing too easily pops off the bleed valve when mineral-oil-slippery...looking for an alternative. For now I use a small zip-tie as a hose-clamp.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:57 PM

This is the kit I have - two syringes instead of the funnel.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austex View Post
I have the Tektro kit for my Hylex brakes. I find it somewhat annoying (no, strike the "somewhat") as the tubing too easily pops off the bleed valve when mineral-oil-slippery...looking for an alternative. For now I use a small zip-tie as a hose-clamp.
You might do well to buy a tiny screw-ratchet reusable hose clamp at an auto parts store for a convenient secure way to attach the hose to the bleed nipple.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
No. Also, mineral oil for brakes is designed to have a high boiling point. DOT fluids also have different boiling points. The higher the better. DOT 5 is not compatible with 3,4 or 5.1.

https://epicbleedsolutions.com/blogs...-1-brake-fluid

Last edited by Dave; 04-21-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:19 AM

So what do you do if you get a leak/ rupture in a hydro line when out on a ride or worse, on a bike packing trip?

You gotta carry a kit with you whenever you're out?
Old 04-21-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
So what do you do if you get a leak/ rupture in a hydro line when out on a ride or worse, on a bike packing trip?

You must do some crazy road rides if you are worried about that. 25 years into hydraulic brakes on my DH bike, and I think I've torn a line twice?
Old 04-21-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:

I have disc brakes with closed system hydraulic calipers that are cable operated. No hoses, just cables. Juin-Tech GT four piston calipers with oil inside. Time will tell how long they last. No bike packing trips for me.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Nope, incompatible designs. Using the wrong fluid will damage the seals internally and lead to failure. Whatever the system was designed for, use that.

Personally, I like shimano oil. It's not crazy expensive and just works. Finish line makes some as well, but the shimano stuff is pretty easy to get wherever you go, so do you don't have to worry about mixing brands if you need a quick bleed away from home/your local shop. Get whatever bleed kit you can find in your budget for hoses, funnels, etc. For consumables like olives, barbs, and o-rings, I like to stick to OEM for whatever the brake manuf. is.

As far as reliability - if it is done correctly with quality parts/oil and checked for leaks at the time of bleed, spontaneous failure like a line blowing or a seal giving out is pretty rare unless the system was in really poor shape to begin with and neglected for a long time. Hydro setups actually require less maintenance than cable systems.

Tags
brake bleed kit tektro