Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
You seriously don’t think modern mountain bikes are that much better than an early 90s MTB?

Ha!
Riding a modern mtb feels like cheating...in a super fun way.

Instagram
Old 04-21-2021, 07:47 AM

If you are into bike racing, well, VN moved on from that a while ago- now “The Journal of Participation-Based Cycling”. New business model as part of a conglomerate that runs expensive fondos, owns bikereg and Outside magazines, and generally seems to be trying to accumulate data for various vertical marketing enterprises.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Ha!
Riding a modern mtb feels like cheating...in a super fun way.
That the truth! Night and day.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:28 AM

We've benefited from a lot of incremental changes we take for granted. Rear derailleurs shifting MTB cassettes are better (cassettes are better than freewheels :-) and I think more durable. Caliper brakes are way better - my 9000 series Dura Ace are noticeably better than 6500 series Ultegra. Drop bar shape options have expanded and the bars I ride today didn't exist BITD. Tire options (and I think quality) have gone up. Tubeless on MTB tires (or even chubby road tires?) is better.

Ten years ago I pooh-poohed carbon fiber frames and components; hydro discs; 1X drivetrains; full suspension; dropper posts. Now I ride a Pivot 429 that has all these, and I freaking love it. I finally gave away my Klein 26er.

None of this means we have to toss the bikes and equipment we have when something new comes out. Newer MTBs have geo optimized for downhill - where I ride, downhills last about 5 seconds, so I'm sticking with my 2013 bike. I did find that putting modern STI drivetrain on my Bob Jackson vs. the Campy Nuovo Record allows me to ride that bike a lot more, and longer rides. And on that bike what I really notice is the (now) poorer braking than any other bike, because even with a Paul Racer on the front, it doesn't compare with modern dual pivots, which won't work with the long reach.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
We've benefited from a lot of incremental changes we take for granted. Rear derailleurs shifting MTB cassettes are better (cassettes are better than freewheels :-) and I think more durable. Caliper brakes are way better - my 9000 series Dura Ace are noticeably better than 6500 series Ultegra. Drop bar shape options have expanded and the bars I ride today didn't exist BITD. Tire options (and I think quality) have gone up. Tubeless on MTB tires (or even chubby road tires?) is better.

Ten years ago I pooh-poohed carbon fiber frames and components; hydro discs; 1X drivetrains; full suspension; dropper posts. Now I ride a Pivot 429 that has all these, and I freaking love it. I finally gave away my Klein 26er.

None of this means we have to toss the bikes and equipment we have when something new comes out. Newer MTBs have geo optimized for downhill - where I ride, downhills last about 5 seconds, so I'm sticking with my 2013 bike. I did find that putting modern STI drivetrain on my Bob Jackson vs. the Campy Nuovo Record allows me to ride that bike a lot more, and longer rides. And on that bike what I really notice is the (now) poorer braking than any other bike, because even with a Paul Racer on the front, it doesn't compare with modern dual pivots, which won't work with the long reach.
I'm in full agreement with this--although I have not gone for the single speed, and don't really ride off-road. As a born-again rider, in the early 2000s I bought a "modern" version of what I used to race--Reynolds 531 Brit bike with Campy (couple of years old)--and was really thrilled with 8 speed Ergo (and it was only Mirage--gasp!), dual pivot brakes and clipless pedals.

I was like the Rip van Winkle of the bike world--"Hey, this stuff is really good!" (To this list I would add good bibs--OMG--what a freakin' improvement over 'chap your ass' real chamois...)

And I'm agnostic about the rest of the new stuff--the only thing that limits me wanting to try more new stuff is budget, but I'm now rocking two CF frames, and I would put the Look 585 in the very short list of the best bikes I ever threw a leg over...

Once there is a little more trickle-down--I'll probably be moving towards a disk rig and/or gravel bike--but if my ship comes in, I'll probably get Dave Kirk to build me something special in steel... And I think I'm done looking backwards--although every once and a while I get the Merckx bee in my bonnet...

Last edited by paredown; 04-21-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:40 AM
undermyfeat...

All of my bikes have rim brakes. All are steel or aluminum. I still love to ride as much as ever and enjoy what I have. My guess is that if you ride with anyone else you are tooling along just as well next to someone with the latest must have bike and components. I have no issue with technology moving forward and things that are legitimate improvements for those that want them but I do agree that it is clear that are not talking to me anymore.
The next time you are out on a glorious day smile and appreciate that the bike you are on got you out there, no matter what it is.
Cheers!
Old 04-21-2021, 03:39 PM

I think there has been a meaningful advance in metallurgy of bike frames over the past few decades. At least Ti frames are more affordable today.

I cannot say that I prefer 11 speed Campy over 9 speed Campy, both of which I regularly ride, but conceptually like interchangeability of 11 speed parts.

New supple tires are appreciated. I may even be able to tell the difference.

Disk brakes are a non-elegant solution (weight, extra parts, oil ) to a problem I don't really have.