Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Not full carbon, not disc, no internal cable routing, not 12-speed. People that can barely hold a 15 mph average for 10-15 miles in a group turning up their nose at the old, outdated junk I had on offer.
Ha. I do better than that on a 80s steel bike with external cables and rim brakes.

Quote:
Interestingly, I got more interest from the older crowd who it seemed can appreciate nice construction and a properly tuned drivetrain, regardless of how many speeds or what type of brakes.
Mmmm, yeah, that's basically me, although I do like having more than 6 or 7 cogs in back and integrated brake/shift levers (I updated some components).

Quote:
The new stuff is trendy, flashy, etc. and that's what most people want.
Well, in general, newer is better - bikes, cars, etc. But not always. And oftentimes you end up paying for vanishingly small returns.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:25 PM

Any of y’all getting hearing aid ads in the mailbox? You’re still someone’s target market.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Ha. I do better than that on a 80s steel bike with external cables and rim brakes.

Mmmm, yeah, that's basically me, although I do like having more than 6 or 7 cogs in back and integrated brake/shift levers (I updated some components).

Well, in general, newer is better - bikes, cars, etc. But not always. And oftentimes you end up paying for vanishingly small returns.
Me too.

A lot of these guys who say what I had for sale wasn't up to their expectations would have been ridden off my wheel, by me, on that crappy bike.

But to each his own.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Me too.

A lot of these guys who say what I had for sale wasn't up to their expectations would have been ridden off my wheel, by me, on that crappy bike.

But to each his own.
it appears that you were offended.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:26 PM
ZhugeLiang

I don't think there's one simple way to classify the target audience. Just within my small little group, we got people who upgraded and bought the latest offerings from specialized, trek, salsa etc and in terms of age, gender and disposable income, they are all over the map.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Don’t worry, AARP sends out a bicycle edition🤣
Didn’t realize Chris Froome was old enough to be a member.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chr...n-disc-brakes/
Old 04-20-2021, 05:45 PM

I would agree with the OP about about target audience and I'm a 40+ year subscriber. Other than a decent training article most issues and a couple of product reviews, Velo News doesn't have much to offer anymore. Probably not going to be a subscriber much longer.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:45 PM

ok thanks for the update
Old 04-20-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
More likely 60+ than 40+
I am 27 Though I turn 28 on Saturday so clearly I'm getting on...
Old 04-20-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrya View Post
any of y’all getting hearing aid ads in the mailbox? You’re still someone’s target market.
potd
Old 04-20-2021, 06:05 PM

I'm glad I ride alone

Paceline and my bike shop are my tether to the bike population and industry. I'm more or less indifferent to the marketing of bikes by advertisement or in-store sale channels. I am curious about other people's thoughts about bikes.

If I were to characterize what this (paceline) tribe is, the first word that comes to mind is skeptical. I think that's rational, and if that means retrogrouch, great, send me that ship in a bottle or that hearing aid in the mail.

I'm always curious about bikes, but I believe differences in product features are now so minimal, the benefits accrue as mostly cultural or tribal membership.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:09 PM

VeloNews HAS changed their target audience and it was necessary, to turn a profit. Decades ago it was focused on racing, in-depth racing. That market was small, but print advertising dominated so there was money to be made and it was necessary for the advertisers to use the print medium to get the word out about their product.

While the internet isn't the sole reason, I'm sure it's changed the way advertisers spend their advertising dollar drastically, to the detriment of print media.

So, to keep print media profitable, I'm sure they had to broaden their target audience. So now a magazine like VeloNews has to appeal to something wider than hard core racer types (I've been a subscriber since the late 70's so I've seen the changes.).

But the certainly DO have to have a demographic in mind because it is necessary to guide the articles they choose to print, which will attract the audience, and who the advertisers they will solicit, so they can make a buck.

As for the advertising itself, whether it's the manufacturers ads or buyers' guides, I as the consumer am always getting the feeling that I'm being told what I have is so significantly outdated or underperforming, or that by not buying the latest thing I'm missing out on tremendous advances in speed and comfort.

The ads can be very effective at making me feel inadequate as long as I don't own that new thing they're selling, but as soon as I buy it, it seems the circle is repeating.

At some point I had to stop trying to remain current in bike tech because there never seemed to be an end point to the journey, and it would suck my pockets dry.

But yes; advertising definitely affects different age groups and differemt demographics in different ways. It will excite some and compel them to buy, while it will repel and disgust others.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:15 PM

When I was young and raced I was the first around to race on clinchers, to race an aluminum bike even if it was the only one at the race or time trial( with a Suntour Superbe group) . Now I am 65 and for me, if it fits and you like it ride it.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:18 PM

I just don’t get why some of you all are so triggered by new bikes. To me it reeks of inferiority complex to be honest. So much caring about what other people are buying. I’ve literally never seen someone on an old steel bike show up to a group ride and talk crap to people about their aero or disc brake bike so it’s just all internet smack talk. Maybe some of you are fast enough to keep up with an A ride while riding a bike from 2000 or older but in real life it’s 1/100 people in the group on an old ass bike.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
I just don’t get why some of you all are so triggered by new bikes. To me it reeks of inferiority complex to be honest. So much caring about what other people are buying. I’ve literally never seen someone on an old steel bike show up to a group ride and talk crap to people about their aero or disc brake bike so it’s just all internet smack talk. Maybe some of you are fast enough to keep up with an A ride while riding a bike from 2000 or older but in real life it’s 1/100 people in the group on an old ass bike.
I honestly think you are misreading the room on this one.

Really, I dont think anyone here cares what other people ride. I think it's OK to lament that the newest tech no longer appeals to someone.

I also think it's OK to prefer rim brakes and steel frames to carbon and rim discs while at the same time not hating the new tech.

personally, i am under 40, and prefer rim brake bikes, but i really dont think they are better than discs, and i certainly dont care if my friends ride disc brakes, just the difference in what i prefer. i think it's fair that i'm a little sad that fewer and fewer new bikes are being made with rim brakes.

that said, i'm very close to pulling the trigger on a new pinarello rim brake bike, so i'm on board with brand new fun bikes too!