Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
I never understood the waxing thing and multiple chains. Chains are cheap. Just use a chain until it wears out and replace. I use NFS and get thousands of miles out of my chains. What more do you need? A quick wipe with a rag, fresh NFS.
1. Some people use wax because it is the fastest tested
2. Some people use it because it is the cleanest.
3. Some both 1 & 2.

The multiple chains in rotation is so you can always have one to put on the bike right away while others are waiting to be re-waxed.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
1. Some people use wax because it is the fastest tested
2. Some people use it because it is the cleanest.
3. Some both 1 & 2.

The multiple chains in rotation is so you can always have one to put on the bike right away while others are waiting to be re-waxed.
Yeah and being uber clean and grit-free really helps the rest of your components that are not cheap like cassettes and chainrings(campy *** $150?!!).

and its good to rotate chains to just give some longevity to your drivetrain.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:18 PM

I broke down and bought some.

Josh claimed on his YouTube vid that tungsten Di-Sulfide, the secret ingredient, was “highly lubricious”. I ran my finger over the top of the chain after my ride today, and wow, that chain feels slick to the touch.

I would be lying if I said I felt a difference on the ride. My last lube was NFS’s biodegradeable version (Ne Plus Ultra, now discontinued). I wouldn’t expect the Silca stuff to be that much faster, maybe 1-2 watts at most. That’s most likely too small for most riders to actually detect.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:26 PM

I got a shipping confirmation number Monday. Label printed since then. I have received nothing.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post

I would be lying if I said I felt a difference on the ride. My last lube was NFS’s biodegradeable version (Ne Plus Ultra, now discontinued). I wouldn’t expect the Silca stuff to be that much faster, maybe 1-2 watts at most. That’s most likely too small for most riders to actually detect.
When they do chain tests, I think the spread is something like 6 watts from absolute worst to best, or something like that. Its not a difference anyone would be able to 'feel', and even with a power meter on the bike, if you saw you were going same speed at 5 watts less power, you would have no way of knowing if its the chain, or different wind conditions, or 1 of 100 other things. I think we just have to have faith in the testing that has been done.

I'm more interested to hear how it looks, how dirty it gets, after 3 or 4 rides. Does it leave a mess on your drivetrain, etc... Please let us know. Thx!
Old 05-09-2020, 09:14 PM

I don’t think I need any of this.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msriddle View Post
I don’t think I need any of this.
k, thx
Old 05-10-2020, 07:34 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
I got a shipping confirmation number Monday. Label printed since then. I have received nothing.
Things may take longer to ship these days due to an ongoing pandemic of a novel corona virus.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:45 AM

Silca limited-edition chain lube

Just got mine yesterday. Will probably use it in the next week or so. Need to go buy some mineral spirits to clean existing chains.

There is about 10 or so oz in this “shaker” jar.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:14 AM

[QUOTE=nobuseri;2715437]Just got mine yesterday. Will probably use it in the next week or so. Need to go buy some mineral spirits to clean existing chains.

How is this applied, you brush it on?
Old 05-10-2020, 08:32 AM

[QUOTE=charliedid;2715453]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuseri View Post
Just got mine yesterday. Will probably use it in the next week or so. Need to go buy some mineral spirits to clean existing chains.

How is this applied, you brush it on?
Submerse the chain in the supplied container and shake it. They have a dropper bottle option as well, to lube with the chain installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMHqDfuVxEs

It appears they are having some sourcing challenges on the bottles. Josh explains there are two styles of dropper bottles, and the shaker bottle pictured above differs from the one in the video too. Same basic function though, and they are shipping product.

Last edited by jb_11; 05-10-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:37 AM

Yeah, basically I will do the above. Clean existing chain, let dry, submerge in Silca lube, stir/shake, let dry, chain back on the bike.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:56 AM

[QUOTE=jb_11;2715469]
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post

Submerse the chain in the supplied container and shake it. They have a dropper bottle option as well, to lube with the chain installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMHqDfuVxEs

It appears they are having some sourcing challenges on the bottles. Josh explains there are two styles of dropper bottles, and the shaker bottle pictured above differs from the one in the video too. Same basic function though, and they are shipping product.
If you listen to the marginal gains podcast he states that he’s basically bottling and labeling from home with whatever he can find. The labels are just from his own home printer on office supply stock

That being said I love the idea of having 3-4 chains in rotation, but having to waste a new quick link or pin with every install has to add up in the value proposition as they are around $2-5 a piece. So even with the average waxed chain life of maybe 5k miles you’re looking at $25-60 worth of connectors. Is it worth it? As does the waxing really improve cassette and chainring life vs other lubes and regular cleaning?
Old 05-10-2020, 09:23 AM

[QUOTE=yinzerniner;2715484]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_11 View Post

If you listen to the marginal gains podcast he states that he’s basically bottling and labeling from home with whatever he can find. The labels are just from his own home printer on office supply stock

That being said I love the idea of having 3-4 chains in rotation, but having to waste a new quick link or pin with every install has to add up in the value proposition as they are around $2-5 a piece. So even with the average waxed chain life of maybe 5k miles you’re looking at $25-60 worth of connectors. Is it worth it? As does the waxing really improve cassette and chainring life vs other lubes and regular cleaning?
I like a clean bike/chain as much as the next person but I'm just not that OCD

Josh loves what he does and it shows, nothing wrong with any of it. Except maybe the Super Secret but I thinks it's just harmless schtick.

I've been preaching for 30 years about wiping down the chain regularly and keeping it clean and lightly lubed. Works for me.

PS I use quick link more than once on my personal bikes.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuseri View Post

The label says 4oz

Tags
snake oil