Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2021, 07:06 AM

11 spd chain choices

So I need to get a couple of 11 spd chains. Since I’m running Campy Record have traditionally used Campy chains which I find to be quite durable but...

Damn I hate how you connect the chain together and I’m loathed to spend a small fortune for the Campy chain tool. I usually just install a quick link and go from there.

In past (8yrs ago or so) tried KMC chains but found they were not as durable and were noisy so unlikely to go that route.

So now crowd sourcing some ideas before next purchase of chains. What has worked well for you?
Old 04-21-2021, 07:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysmooth View Post
So I need to get a couple of 11 spd chains. Since I’m running Campy Record have traditionally used Campy chains which I find to be quite durable but...

Damn I hate how you connect the chain together and I’m loathed to spend a small fortune for the Campy chain tool. I usually just install a quick link and go from there.

In past (8yrs ago or so) tried KMC chains but found they were not as durable and were noisy so unlikely to go that route.

So now crowd sourcing some ideas before next purchase of chains. What has worked well for you?
Campag chain and KMC or Wipperman quicklinks...? Don't need the very nice, but expensive Campag tool.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:55 AM

I've used Shimano quick links on Campy Record 11 chains with no issues. A two pack on Amazon is $15 or so. Very handy.

When installing a new chain I use a Park chain tool. No need for the beautiful Campy one.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Campag chain and KMC or Wipperman quicklinks...? Don't need the very nice, but expensive Campag tool.
Thanks. That is what I’ve been doing for years so will just continue unless of course someone is migrating off Campy and has that “very nice” campy chain tool they want to let go of...
Old 04-21-2021, 08:35 AM
Ari W

I have been using KMC chains and quick links with my Campy 11 setups for a few years now, works great.

-Ari
Old 04-21-2021, 10:01 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysmooth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariw View Post
I have been using KMC chains and quick links with my Campy 11 setups for a few years now, works great.
I'm with Ari: Been using KMC chains on Record 11sp since 2016 and never experienced any noise or egregious behavior.