Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
UEFA are not the good guys, and their hypocrisy reeks to high heaven, but there is one inviolable principle: Multi-tiered national competition, with promotion and relegation, and merit-based qualification to European competition. Anything outside of that, I'm not interested in.

If Liverpool, et al, want to become creators of global sporting content that's fine, but they will no longer be football clubs rooted in the community.

That cord has already been stretched for a long time, but this would be a terminal rupture.
As a Real Madrid fan who follows 2 other Spanish clubs (Oviedo and Celta - where my grandparents grew up and followed in their younger days), I really hope this is just another step in the battle over Champions League changes or updates as a US style closed league would be MUCH less interesting to watch..

I can see why it's appealing for Real who have lost major revenue with the changes in TV rights and closing of the stadium for COVID, since as a membership based club they don't have a big money owner pumping in money like the English clubs or PSG, but ultimately it doesn't seem like this would solve much except blowing up the entire structure of football in Europe and making just a mess - sort of like boxing where it's too confusing to follow or know who's winning anything.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:09 PM

Squires on the ESL: https://www.theguardian.com/football...n-super-league .
Old 04-20-2021, 12:19 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
"FIFA and UEFA are understandably furious. If anyone's going to implement a terrible plan, it should be them."

QFT.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:43 PM

Well, well. Chelsea will no longer partake in the Super League.

I think is the number of want-aways exceed three, it will be very likely that the whole thing will be DoA. It won't surprise me if some clubs initially joined simply to get leverage on UEFA, whereas others (Barça, Real, Inter, and Spurs) are doing it b/c they have too much debt.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:24 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
others (Barça, Real, Inter, and Spurs) are doing it b/c they have too much debt.
Thing is, the whole thing boils down to a scheme to create more debt. JP Morgan is funding the startup against expected future revenues, i.e. broadcast contracts that don't exist yet. The clubs have created an entity to lend themselves money.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Thing is, the whole thing boils down to a scheme to create more debt. JP Morgan is funding the startup against expected future revenues, i.e. broadcast contracts that don't exist yet. The clubs have created an entity to lend themselves money.
I totally agree, this is just the most ridiculous way to manage your finances( that you have already screwed up )
Old 04-20-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I should have known it was a reverse mortgage type affair, as opposed to actual money being given out. Perhaps what you pointed out was the whole purpose: to be able to tap into future revenue now, without a damn given about repercussion in the future, which would be in line with at least how Barça has been operating.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Well, well. Chelsea will no longer partake in the Super League.

I think is the number of want-aways exceed three, it will be very likely that the whole thing will be DoA. It won't surprise me if some clubs initially joined simply to get leverage on UEFA, whereas others (Barça, Real, Inter, and Spurs) are doing it b/c they have too much debt.
The straw house is tumbling - first Chelsea - next MC?
Old 04-20-2021, 07:01 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Well, it looks like "saving" European football wasn't that important after all - a few hours of pushback, and the ESL is now 100% DOA.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:36 PM

Somehow with all the ESL talk I missed the fact that for 2024/25 season CL is expanding to 36 teams and adopting the Swiss model. In my opinion, that sucks. Talk about tanking and meaningless games - oh man, the beautiful game is getting ugly.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:43 PM

But first, there’s a Euro to be held in numerous countries, despite the fact we are in a pandemic. And then afterwards, there’s a World Cup to be played in stadia built by modern slave labor.

Uefa and Fifa are as morally bankrupt as they come.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:24 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Watford officially promoted back to the Premiership after being relegated last year. Let's hope Xisco Munoz can work his magic.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:49 PM

Btw, you guys realize that this is last year's thread, right?

This year's football talk should go here