Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 07:29 PM

OT:Any other smokers out here.....BBQ

I have been using an old homemade smoker made out of a old fride for years and it finally rusted out. I have been looking at insulated box type smokers for a few weeks and pulled the trigger in one of these. It should be here by the end of the week. It was a scratch and dent so I got it a a pretty nice discount.
I just got done working 7 days a week 10 to 12 hours per day for the last 6 weeks so had to find something to do with some of the extra cash now that I maxed out both IRA's for the year.

https://humphreysbbq.myshopify.com/pages/the-weekender

Last edited by skiezo; 06-12-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:57 PM

My pal loves her Traeger which is largely a set-it-forget-it device. I love the food it produces and they are often sold for good prices at COSTCO. I've done some smoking in my 22.5" Weber Kettle but it would not handle as big a load or be as easy to use as a dedicated smoker. OTOH a Weber is easy to move and clean while not costing too much. Lots of happy users of Big Green Eggs and other komado cookers.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:58 PM

Lot's of different types of smokers out there but I am really starting to think about hot and fast instead of low and slow. I have had pellet grills and I love that you can set and forget it but I like building a good fire and I don't want to get up a 2am to get a brisket on. I got a behind the scenes tour of Blacks BBQ in Texas a few years ago and I was surprised when they told be they cook at 300F. Best brisket I ever had.

Anyway, check out Gateway Drum Smokers. He really has the design nailed.

https://www.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/

Mike

Last edited by Wilkinson4; 06-12-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:41 PM

I use a Yoder YS640 pellet grill and it's amazing. I like the Yoder because it excels at low and slow but can also sear at 600 degrees+ as a direct grill It's also built in Kansas, like a tank - 330 pounds of 10-gauge steel!
"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" -Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI

Old 06-12-2018, 09:33 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Old 06-12-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Edwards View Post
I use a Yoder YS640 pellet grill and it's amazing. I like the Yoder because it excels at low and slow but can also sear at 600 degrees+ as a direct grill It's also built in Kansas, like a tank - 330 pounds of 10-gauge steel!

I just looked at the 480 and those Yoder's make the Traeger grills look like they are made of tin! I am torn between the Yoder and the gateway drum... Two different animals for sure!

Mike
Old 06-12-2018, 10:34 PM

I love my big green egg. Does everything well. I don't know how you could cook a good brisket at 300 degrees though.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsmcm View Post
I love my big green egg. Does everything well. I don't know how you could cook a good brisket at 300 degrees though.
I've always wondered, have they managed to find a way to be able to add more coals without having to move the meat off the grill top?
Old 06-13-2018, 07:24 AM
n - 1

I use a Weber Kettle, even for 10-12 hr brisket smokes. It’s been pretty much set and forget, but I sometimes have to add some coal towards the end of the smoke. Temps fluctuate between 230-280, but I have been able to get the vents set to keep it high or lower in that range. I thought about getting a dedicated smoker but Weber does just fine for me. I may pick up a Slow n Sear this year, which should just add more consistency to this grill.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 AM

I'm relatively new to the smoking game, but I picked up a Slow n Sear 2 years ago and have been very happy with it in conjunction with my Weber Kettle. I imagine it's a bit more work than a high $ dedicated smoker, but it's also a much cheaper way to get into the game. The other requirement is a quality thermometer.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:09 AM
Administrator

man, i love smoked food.

i have a pretty basic charcoal smoker, and use it a regularly in the summer, but i do not consider myself very good at it. i'll be watching this thread for inspiration and tips/tricks!

the best part about the smoker is how long it takes for me. nothing better than a sunny sunday when you get up early, fire up the smoker, and have to sit around and tend it and drink beers all day.

"do you want to go to the mall?"........"nope, i gotta stay here and watch the smoker, and drink beer"
Old 06-13-2018, 08:29 AM

I have a weber smokey mountain. Pretty basic but it gets the job done. My brother and father in law both have big green eggs which are nice, but we both acheive the same results but I saved $1500 dollars.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:50 AM

Been using this guy for several years:
https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-2...ectric+smokers

Makes great meat, that's about all I have to say. I mostly do pork, but I need to give brisket a shot at some point.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:57 AM

Not technically a smoker, but I love my Big Green Egg!
Old 06-13-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_len1 View Post
Been using this guy for several years:
https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-2...ectric+smokers

Makes great meat, that's about all I have to say. I mostly do pork, but I need to give brisket a shot at some point.
How often do you have to add more chips or can you just put in a bunch at the beginning and leave it alone for hours?