Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2017, 05:33 AM

If self-driving cars are now a reality for us, self-riding bicycles surely can't be far behind.

google's afj self-riding bike:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LSZPNwZex9s
Old 01-31-2017, 12:31 PM

All my bikes have a biological ABS system. When the nervous system of the animal putting pressure on the brake levers senses lock up, it automatically modules pressure.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Already is disc..622mm rotor, rubber compound pads. Yup, the original anti lock brakes.

Have 'em on my Merckx.
My Campagnolo Delta brakes have the added feature of squealing so loud that nobody will get close to me.

Stuck pigs have nothing on my Delta brakes. And yes, I tried everything that could be tried to make them not squeal. The best thing to keep them from squealing was to take them off the bike!
Old 01-31-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wisconsin64 View Post
According to several inside industry sources, Shimano's top of the line groupset will feature and updated integrated system. Braking, shifting, and computerized data will be combined using one larger more powerful, yet light weight battery.

Anti-Lock Brakes, integrated optional front and rear lights, electronic shifting, and main computer storing power output ranges and optional GPS systems.

The groupset price is estimated at $5,999 USD, and is expected to debut at .....

...... o. hey. just thought if anyone can make up some fake news on a wing and a prayer and that it might just become true than why not?

Honestly, I hope we see this down the line in the future. I'm not that old, but when I do get old, I'm going to need this technology!
This is funny cause it's probably going to come true, Shimano is on track to create a groupset (not a fully functioning bicycle) that costs more than a brand new fully functioning motorcycle in the next ten years.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:22 PM

They already have anti lock v-brakes... Some hybrids have a spring inside the brake noodle to help keep people from going over the bars. No its not exactly antilock brakes, but close enough.

Could work for cable discs too. Now for hydro brakes just need a little nozzle that squirts brake fluid on the rotor every time you squeeze the lever... those brakes will never lock up.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 01-31-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:49 PM

Side pull and v antilock bike brakes, SABS from King Industries, have been available for around 5 years and someone marketed a cantilever version in the mid 1990's. Ever seen a bike equipped with them? Neither have I.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:08 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
My Campagnolo Delta brakes have the added feature of squealing so loud that nobody will get close to me.

Stuck pigs have nothing on my Delta brakes. And yes, I tried everything that could be tried to make them not squeal. The best thing to keep them from squealing was to take them off the bike!
Hmmm. I have 5 bikes with Deltas and none of them squeal. I did have that problem one time during a 7 day cross state ride but since the pad holders have dedicated bolts to adjust toe-in it was a quick and easy fix.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:31 AM
Total Fred

I think fork shudder with wide profile cantilever brakes could be described as anti-lock brakes.

Tai
Old 02-01-2017, 05:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post

Reason is the actual caliper arms are vibrating. The bolts holding them to the body can be adjusted/tightened...Mine are silent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delta03-450.JPG (23.4 KB, 95 views)
Old 08-20-2019, 12:55 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Sensors, modules, batteries...sounds like unwanted weight and complexity to me. No thanks.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:02 AM

Must.....stop....from....Ludicrous...Speed!

Old 08-20-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I had a motorcycle (honda) with optional ABS brakes. I didn't get the ABS on it. I did a bunch of brake service myself on that bike.

I would never have attempted to service the brakes myself if I had the ABS model based on the procedures and tools required according to the service manual.

From what I've read ABS systems have to get pressurized by a pump, normal hydraulic brakes do not. Lots of complexity.

I think if they built it for bikes even bike shops might balk at what was required to service it.

You'd get into all kinds of system integration issues too.. you might be required to run a particular set of calipers/rotors/wheels to keep it working?
Mechanics of old never touched a computer. Now that’s a mechanic’s primary tool, they evolved so will bike mechanics.

As an aside, an interesting fact about modern cars. Today’s cars have more lines of computer code then a 747. Hard to believe but true.

Let’s hope bikes never get that complicated!
Old 08-20-2019, 06:58 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
As an aside, an interesting fact about modern cars. Today’s cars have more lines of computer code then a 747. Hard to believe but true.
Half of those lines are responsible for your adaptive rain-sensing dimmed ambient-lighting of the rear left shock absorber, whitout which life is not worth living.

If one absolutely lives in constant fear of a brake lockup, please just have the cable set up by an incompetent mechanic, or upgrade to Campagnolo Deltas.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:22 AM
50 bpm

Automatic transmission was shown in pre-production mode five years ago.

It remains in pre-production.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wisconsin64 View Post
I'm thinking of the times I crashed in the rain due to wheel lock up, or the times going down long hills when someone pulled out in front of me.
How many times have you gone down? It sounds like you either need a new sport, new skills, or need to call it quits like Clean39T and focus your attention off road.