Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Classics Fan

Handcut Hay - Have we reached peak 'hand-made'?

I pass a farm on one of my rides offering up "Hand cut Hay". Seriously? This is what the world has come to?

People buying hay now care that it was cut using the same technique as Jebediah, circa 1786?

Pretty soon we'll start seeing hand-sawn fire wood.

What's the craziest 'hand made' thing you've seen for sale?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:18 PM

so some small town farmer goes out and cuts some hay, puts a sign on their lawn that it's hand cut, and you're butt hurt about it?

get a life, dude.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:22 PM

Can a profit even be made doing that? Livestock eat a lot of hay.

I've been commercial clamming since last Sept. Getting a great price because clams are getting scarce, soft shell that is. The kind that are good for steaming. It's wicked hard work, I work in all kinds of conditions. Digging in the mud, sand and sometimes in gravel rocky places. I make great money doing though and I am my own boss I even found an excuse to get a nice little skiff to do this and I get to write it off

Well I have to applaud all who take it upon themselves to reduce climate change but the damage is already done. Relating to my new found profession it is a slow death. The ocean is acidifying and all the clammers are seeing it.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6 View Post
so some small town farmer goes out and cuts some hay, puts a sign on their lawn that it's hand cut, and you're butt hurt about it?

get a life, dude.
so some small town forum member goes online and starts a thread about the peculiarities of our culture in America, and you're butt hurt about it?

get a life, dude.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
so some small town forum member goes online and starts a thread about the peculiarities of our culture in America, and you're butt hurt about it?

get a life, dude.

sorry, i thought this was a cycling forum. what's your take on hand cut hay, nighthawk?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:33 PM

$150 a ton....

I though slavery had been banned in the US.
http://burlington.craigslist.org/grd/4553572049.html
Old 07-28-2014, 12:37 PM

Anything 'artisan' pretty much loses me the second I see it at a Wendy's or any other huge, corporate store.

Just be what you are and own it.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6 View Post
sorry, i thought this was a cycling forum. what's your take on hand cut hay, nighthawk?
It's not about hand cut hay. This forum is steeped hand built custom bicycles. And as such, many members care about craftsmanship and hand-built things.

Can it be taken too far? Artisinal pencil sharpening is one example. Another would be a bespoke tweed arm sling.

When does hand-made go from being a signal of craftsmanship and quality to a cliche?

Am I butt-hurt about a farmer cutting hay by hand and trying to sell it? No, I'm amused by it. But I'm also intrigued by it for what it says about the greater culture that a farmer would cut hay by hand and then paint a giant sign offering said hay for sale. And not just 'hay for sale', but actually specifying that it was 'hand cut hay for sale.'

So even some small town farmer sees that the society has a fixation on things done by hand... THAT is what is interesting.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
I though slavery had been banned in the US.
http://burlington.craigslist.org/grd/4553572049.html
THAT is the hay I pass!!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
It's not about hand cut hay. This forum is steeped hand built custom bicycles. And as such, many members care about craftsmanship and hand-built things.

Can it be taken too far? Artisinal pencil sharpening is one example. Another would be a bespoke tweed arm sling.

When does hand-made go from being a signal of craftsmanship and quality to a cliche?

Am I butt-hurt about a farmer cutting hay by hand and trying to sell it? No, I'm amused by it. But I'm also intrigued by it for what it says about the greater culture that a farmer would cut hay by hand and then paint a giant sign offering said hay for sale. And not just 'hay for sale', but actually specifying that it was 'hand cut hay for sale.'

So even some small town farmer sees that the society has a fixation on things done by hand... THAT is what is interesting.
Ohhh, so that is the point of all this. I thought this small time farmer was trying to save the planet because he can't afford to maintain his tractor.

Actually the vast majority of cyclist really don't even care, need or want a handmade bicycle. Don't get me wrong even most layman can appreciate the craftsmanship and unique qualities but it's the price of building one up complete with components that makes hand made bikes another douche a rolling thru the night. It's too bad cycling is realistically a slightly elitist yuppie uppity activity but hand made don't really help the image much.

Last edited by gemship; 07-28-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:46 PM

too many seeds, won't work for me. i need clean straw. plus it's in vermont, and i already have a bottle of maple syrup.

pass.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:47 PM

I like the all gluten free band wagon that cracks me up too.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:48 PM

The only hay I will buy is hand cut hay, it also must be blessed by a Shaman. No way would I feed my hand bred horse any other.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:48 PM

"Am I butt-hurt about a farmer cutting hay by hand and trying to sell it? No, I'm amused by it. But I'm also intrigued by it for what it says about the greater culture that a farmer would cut hay by hand and then paint a giant sign offering said hay for sale. And not just 'hay for sale', but actually specifying that it was 'hand cut hay for sale.' "

He's probably hoping that someone will feel sorry for him and buy the hay out of sympathy.

"Different types of land, of course, give different grass yields. It takes my household (two people) six weeks to bring in 6.4 tons from our five acres (sometimes with a little help from friends). We work full eight-hour days—including weekends—and only take a break when it rains. (Ask neighboring farmers what you can expect from your fields, and—if you can count on the labor of two regular workers—allow a month or more to harvest enough hay for one cow.)"

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/homes...#ixzz38mnsXDGv
Old 07-28-2014, 12:53 PM

Did you mean a Shamano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
The only hay I will buy is hand cut hay, it also must be blessed by a Shaman. No way would I feed my hand bred horse any other.