Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2019, 07:18 PM

Greasing carbon seatpost on carbon frame?

I got a 25.4mm seatpost for my supersix as the previous one broke (poor quality). In the interim I had the original cannondale-branded aluminum seatpost, which fits fine. The previous seatpost fit fine too, until it broke.

I just took delivery of a brand new seatpost, labeled 25.4mm. I put some anti-slip paste (Fiber Grip), and the seatpost didn't go in the frame. Odd, I thought. So I cleaned the paste off and tried inserting the seatpost. No dice. Should I grease it? Is it ok to grease a seatpost in a carbon frame? I sure could go back to the cannondale-branded aluminum version, but I want light(ish) and zero offset. I definitely will *not* force the thing in the frame, hence the grease question.

Thanks,

G
Old 08-19-2019, 09:52 PM

No grease!
Old 08-19-2019, 10:05 PM

Don't grease! if it's tight already then you won't be able to take it off later because carbon will swell from the grease. for handlebars and seat post just stick with alloy!
Old 08-19-2019, 10:26 PM
Member?

https://www.velonews.com/2005/10/bik...ed-carbon_9023

I always apply Philwood grease to carbon posts in carbon frames. Never had a problem. Perhaps I am just lucky...or Craig is correct.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghammer View Post
I got a 25.4mm seatpost for my supersix as the previous one broke (poor quality). In the interim I had the original cannondale-branded aluminum seatpost, which fits fine. The previous seatpost fit fine too, until it broke.

I just took delivery of a brand new seatpost, labeled 25.4mm. I put some anti-slip paste (Fiber Grip), and the seatpost didn't go in the frame. Odd, I thought. So I cleaned the paste off and tried inserting the seatpost. No dice. Should I grease it? Is it ok to grease a seatpost in a carbon frame? I sure could go back to the cannondale-branded aluminum version, but I want light(ish) and zero offset. I definitely will *not* force the thing in the frame, hence the grease question.

Thanks,

G
As has been mentioned no grease but if both are proper size, it should go in..the frame or the seatpost is NOT 25.4..if the aluminum DID fit fine, the new one obviously is not..25.4
Old 08-20-2019, 05:43 PM

Does the Supersix have a removable seat post collar. If so, you could try inserting the post in the frame with the collar removed. Even though the collar bolt/fastener is loose, sometimes the collar can still apply a slight clamping force. This assumes that the two seat posts are indeed the same diameter. The collar may need to be spread open a touch before re-installing.

Last edited by semdoug; 08-20-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:27 PM

Sooo, to revive this thread for some help:

Cinelli XCR (steel), 31.6 mm seat post diameter + Ritchey WCS Carbon 31.6 mm seat post = Ritchey won't fit.

I tried it with carbon paste and way too much effort, then tried it with regular grease and it's a bit easier...but then I remembered all that talk about 10 years ago about NOT using regular grease on carbon seat posts.

Is there any consensus here on this now?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2020, 08:31 PM

Dunno. My carbon posts in steel frames have a touch of Park grease. Perhaps I'm tempting fate.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:42 PM

I was told by Seven to use grease in their carbon seatpost sleeves. Does that mean I cant use a carbon post in the frame anymore?
Old 06-04-2020, 06:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaliu View Post
Sooo, to revive this thread for some help:

Cinelli XCR (steel), 31.6 mm seat post diameter + Ritchey WCS Carbon 31.6 mm seat post = Ritchey won't fit.

I tried it with carbon paste and way too much effort, then tried it with regular grease and it's a bit easier...but then I remembered all that talk about 10 years ago about NOT using regular grease on carbon seat posts.

Is there any consensus here on this now?

Thanks!
Steel frame..I'd take a flex hone to it a bit..has other 31.6mm seat posts fit in the frame?