Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 07:36 PM

part out or sell whole best ROI

Just picked up a new ride and now thinking seriously about selling my do it all cx bike.

In your experience is it easier to sell as a whole bike or part out and most importantly what is my best course of action getting the most back on my investment?

I bought the this bike complete 3 years ago and have pretty much upgraded everything but the headset and stem with top shelf parts. It's a well respected but niche brand that has a good reputation, but its 3 years old which in bike years is like 10 or so lol.

any advise is appreciated
cheers
cuda
Old 08-16-2019, 07:49 PM

TLDR: you'll probably net more by parting out, but how do you value your time? Sale of individual components takes time, energy, and effort, and you should assign a value to that as well.

Long version:
Last year, I bought a new bike, and I kept only the frame, fork, headset, BB, and seatpost. In other words, I'd have been better served by paying more and getting the frameset.

I eventually sold my old bike frameset and the following items from my new bike: stem, handlebar, Di2 shifters, saddle, Di2 junction box, crankset and wheelset. The derailleurs were transferred over to another bike.

In my case, I had to part things out, as the frameset I was selling was used, while everything else were new takeoff, but it'll be the last time I do this. So much hassle and so much time spent communicating and shipping, and I lived only 1/4 mile from the post office. I certainly can't be bothered with parting things out again.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:04 PM

My experience has been that parting out a bike returns more $$$ than selling as a whole. The trade off is that selling the individual parts requires more effort on the part of the seller (listing each part, responding to more buyer inquiries, and shipping each part). Whether that trade off is worth it to you is a personal decision.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:01 PM

all right. Thanks. I think I'll imagine and mid-range price for the complete bike and do some comps for the various parts as if I were to part out and see if the difference is significant enough to be worthwhile.

I had sort of planned to buy a new complete build with average parts and switch the better components to the new frame and the weaker stuff to the old frame and sell it like that. From what i'm reading it sounds like this is the bigger p.i.a. than a full part out or sell whole?
Old 08-16-2019, 09:16 PM

I've parted out and sold whole bikes. The prior comments on time versus maxing out ROI is spot on.

However, I got one tip: if there are any super desirable parts (e.g. Enve cockpit, Zipp wheels, Moots seatpost), I'd recommend swapping those out with less pricey parts and selling the bike with less than top shelf replacement parts. You don't really get a lot more for your complete bike if there is a basic Bontrager aluminum stem on it or a Enve aero stem.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:06 PM

It really depends.

If you have a Paul rear derailleur on the bike then part out.

If it’s equipped with shimano 105 than complete

I think you get what I’m saying
Old 08-16-2019, 10:13 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
It really depends.

If you have a Paul rear derailleur on the bike then part out.

If it’s equipped with shimano 105 than complete

I think you get what I’m saying

Yup.. unless all your components are high-end, you'll have a lot of stuff that simply won't sell, regardless of price. 'Meh' saddles don't sell for $150, $50, or even $10, for instance.

I've parted out countless bikes over the years, as I'm usually only ever buying a "bike" for the frame. I usually do pretty well selling all the **** off, but I still always have a big pile of "meh" saddles, saddle posts, stems, bars, wheels, etc. Good to have on hand, for experimenting and being peoples heroes when you give them free stuff.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:54 AM

good points - I was definitely going to pull gucci parts and replace them with random stuff sitting in the garage. I look at this as a twofer since I'll be cleaning out the meh pile of stuff.
thanks