Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 03:57 PM
extremely tall

I just went though several packs before landing on one.

First was the Chrome Urban EX 28l. Loved the build quality, material feels tough, straps adequate. What I didn’t like was the single small pocket; not big enough to comfortably fit phone, wallet, keys, glasses case. Also it’s a very tall narrow bag, and I found it hard to see what was packed and to fish for stuff. Laptop sleeve worked fine. No external pocket for a lock was another point against. The lashing loops worked well to put the u-lock through, but I like to have access to my lock should I ever need it during my commute.

Second was an Osprey Radial 26 that I bought based on positive reviews. Very good quality, but way overbuilt for my purposes. Tons of pockets/layers that felt redundant, rain cover in bottom pocket (nice feature but takes up space). The mesh panel was nice in terms of breathability/back sweat but the whole thing just felt like overkill. Again, really nice bag, just...busy.

Third and last was a Patagonia Black Hole 28l. It continues my streak of never regretting anything I purchase from Patagonia. It has just enough pockets to be useful without feeling cluttered or confusing. Easy to see what’s inside thanks to the large zippered flap. Definitely not as waterproof as the Chrome purports to be (or the Osprey with the cover) but my commute’s only 5 miles each way so that was secondary for me. That said, the material is coated and certainly keeps things dry in light/moderate rain. Added bonus is that it matches my Patagonia wheeled carry-on and large duffel bag, so it works as a travel backpack if I want to be matchy matchy.

For size reference, I’m 6’6” and food-friendly; both the Chrome and the Patagonia fit well, and the Osprey felt a bit small.

Finally, due to the roll-top the Chrome was a little harder than the other two to look around/past when glancing over my shoulder. Not a deal-breaker on its own but it was annoying.

May you all profit from my follies!

Last edited by echelon_john; 08-16-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:08 PM
twin

Ortlieb

I have a white Ortlieb with black letters rolltop if you are interested. I tried several and I just like the idea that should something leak on the inside it will not get on you.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john
I just went though several packs before landing on one.
Thank you for the input - exactly what I was hoping for! This actually pushes me a little closer to the Chrome Urban pack - the small pocket won't be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john
May you all profit from my follies!
Funny you should say that, since I'm the new owner of your old BMC Road frame. It's a peach - will pics soon!