Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2019, 08:12 AM

Visiting San Rafael August 22-26

I am visiting San Rafael at the end of the month and was hoping to get a ride or two in. I would love your suggestions.

I won't be flying with my bike, so if you have any leads on a bike to rent or borrow, I am all ears! I ride a 54, ideally with more stack and less reach.

Here are two routes a friend recommended. (My only concern is that I don't have the legs for Mt. Tam!) I was also keen to ride in Point Reyes.

Lucas Valley Loop
https://www.strava.com/routes/20854656

Mt. Tam Loop
https://www.strava.com/routes/20854639
Old 08-07-2019, 08:50 AM

Whoo.. you're in Joostx-land.

He can giv ebetter recommendations but rent a bike from Above Category and go ride some of these routes

Or ride to PT Reyes Station, grab a cookie @ Bovine Bakery, explore the small town and ride back. Classic. Just gotta get outta town though. Not a fan of the town sections but then I was riding on the weekend.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:57 AM

We just returned from Marin last night. What an incredible place! I wonder if Mike @ Black Mountain in Point Reyes Station rents bikes? It would be a great place to ride from. So may options...

I don't have any bike shop suggestions for San Rafael itself, but I HIGHLY recommend SOL Food (PuertoRican food). It's the bomb!

Have fun!

Texbike
Old 08-11-2019, 11:35 AM
2Retro4U

Don't forget to visit the Marin Museum of Bicycling and the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame in Fairfax.

While you are in Fairfax, rent a bike at Sunshine Bike Works and buy a $5 day pass to the private trails at Tamarancho.

After all that, stop into the Gestalt Haus, which features dozens of local brews and indoor bicycle parking for extra security.

A few feet west of the Gestalt Haus, take in the public monument to the Repack races and their role in the history of mountain biking.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:44 PM

Tam is some serious climbing...are you going to be riding solo? if you're not used to long climbs, it can take it out of you. But if you have time, take it easy it should be doable. I'm not a natural climber, but over the years, I've learned to suffer. if you're staying in San Rafael, Fairfax is not too far to go rent a bike at Sunshine.

Point Reyes should be good, a few climbs but go through Samuel P. Taylor
and come back through Nicasio and Lucas Valley and you avoid Tam.

For more climbing, go through Mill Valley climb to Pantoll Station and descend to Stinson Beach...then decide climb more or climb less...go north to bolinas fairfax (bofax) which is a big long climb and then more climbing or south for a serious of smaller climbs back to Mill Valley. Either will have incredible roads and views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan View Post
I am visiting San Rafael at the end of the month and was hoping to get a ride or two in. I would love your suggestions.

I won't be flying with my bike, so if you have any leads on a bike to rent or borrow, I am all ears! I ride a 54, ideally with more stack and less reach.

Here are two routes a friend recommended. (My only concern is that I don't have the legs for Mt. Tam!) I was also keen to ride in Point Reyes.

Lucas Valley Loop

Mt. Tam Loop
Old 08-12-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
Don't forget to visit the Marin Museum of Bicycling and the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame in Fairfax.

While you are in Fairfax, rent a bike at Sunshine Bike Works and buy a $5 day pass to the private trails at Tamarancho.

After all that, stop into the Gestalt Haus, which features dozens of local brews and indoor bicycle parking for extra security.

A few feet west of the Gestalt Haus, take in the public monument to the Repack races and their role in the history of mountain biking.

cannot argue with these rec's. I would suggest riding up and down Tam before riding Tamarancho. But rent your bike from Sunshine and drink a beer at the Gestalt. And just ride somewhere near both. You cannot go wrong.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:57 AM
50 bpm

Acme Bikes in San Rafael rents Trek road bikes.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:31 AM

Flattish route - out to Pt Reyes through Sam P Taylor Park (weekday) and back through Naicasio.
Climb heavy - Alpine Dam from Fairfax, up on the Ridge, and back down through Pantoll (add East Peak if you want more, but you get all the views from the ride on the ridge).
Mtn biking - Tamarancho for technical, rooty trails, China Camp for a bit easier, but still fun single track
Gravel riding - RR grade up to Tam or West Point Inn from Mill Valley
Old 08-12-2019, 12:41 PM
Vendor

I'm pretty sure Black Mtn doesn't rent bikes. If you're into road then a route that takes in Ridge Crest is a must. If you're into dirt then Tamarancho. Pick up a Tamarancho day pass at Sunshine Bikes in Fairfax.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:42 PM

Approx how many miles do you want to do per ride? Flat(ish) I assume since you said no Tam (of which you'll regret later if you don't ride some of it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan View Post

Lucas Valley Loop

Mt. Tam Loop
Old 08-16-2019, 10:50 PM

Thanks, everyone! I seemed to have missed your posts and am only just catching up.

I think I'd like to do a road ride. The ridge seems wonderful. It is totally going to hurt.

Last edited by rohan; 08-16-2019 at 11:11 PM.