Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 09:23 AM

Duties, tariffs on gifts sent to USA?

If I send a package south of the border from Canada to the US and check off the box that indicates the item is a gift, do Americans still get hit at all with taxes, duties, tariffs (even if it is more than $20)?

Last edited by Veloo; 08-16-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:47 AM

Its my understanding that the US have a very high threshold before they pay any kind of tolls etc on import.

Believe it was something closer to a 100$.
20 should be well within limits
Old 08-16-2019, 02:27 PM

IMO depends a lot of the carrier too.

With USPS i never had problems from overseas, but the limits are like 300 bucks gift or so.

With UPS and Fedex is a different story. Either way, for 20 bucks doubt will be a problem at all.

The issue and I do understand why you are asking, is because darn customs in Canada are a real PITA. Import duties to the US are really flexible, bike stuff is exempt up to some limit but i do not remember which is the magical number.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
IMO depends a lot of the carrier too.

With USPS i never had problems from overseas, but the limits are like 300 bucks gift or so.

With UPS and Fedex is a different story. Either way, for 20 bucks doubt will be a problem at all.

The issue and I do understand why you are asking, is because darn customs in Canada are a real PITA. Import duties to the US are really flexible, bike stuff is exempt up to some limit but i do not remember which is the magical number.
$800 but not sure if that applies to gift vs purchase
Old 08-16-2019, 05:27 PM

I'm quite sure it is also $800, regardless if it's gift or purchase.

I'm up in Canada, and unfortunately we don't have it that lucky. Usually anything over $150 shipped to Canada, gift or not, gets taxed and dutied up the ying yang.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:53 PM

Been in your country a few times and I'm still figuring out how you guys make it at the end of the month with so many taxes, you go to a restaurant and you have like 4 taxes (making up stuff), one uncle sam, then a tax because you like beers, then the tax for being ugly and then on top of that the city tax plus the tip... bye bye for a long margin the exchange rate...

Every year gets worse... remember the 1st time went there like 20 years ago... then if i compare with last year... geeeeezzzzus.... at least the details are in the receipt but either way.... with my wife we were like..."how in the world people can make it here?".... amazing.

One thing tho... your food is just excellent...i ate so good, even in the theme park outside of toronto...1st time I see a theme park restaurant with fish and super quality cooked food...
Old 08-16-2019, 10:43 PM

US postal box

Hi all,

The only way around some tax is having a US postal address. I have one and Canada Customs lets you go with items less than $300 or thereabout.

Patrick