Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2019, 04:10 PM
bourbon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I pass a farm on one of my rides offering up "Hand cut Hay". Seriously? This is what the world has come to?

People buying hay now care that it was cut using the same technique as Jebediah, circa 1786?

Pretty soon we'll start seeing hand-sawn fire wood.

What's the craziest 'hand made' thing you've seen for sale?
Ask and ye shall receive

https://youtu.be/TBb9O-aW4zI
Old 08-14-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
Ohhh, so that is the point of all this. I thought this small time farmer was trying to save the planet because he can't afford to maintain his tractor.

Actually the vast majority of cyclist really don't even care, need or want a handmade bicycle. Don't get me wrong even most layman can appreciate the craftsmanship and unique qualities but it's the price of building one up complete with components that makes hand made bikes another douche a rolling thru the night. It's too bad cycling is realistically a slightly elitist yuppie uppity activity but hand made don't really help the image much.
I used to not understand the desire for a handmade custom bike. Then because of circumstances, I got a Serotta. Now I understand.
You don't need a new frame, get fitted and find out the dimensions you would want. Keep an eye on the classifieds and eventually a good frame will come around.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:43 PM

yeah, id buy the guys hay if i needed hay. i appreciate people who dont take the easy way out and trade fuel for something that can be done with honest work. i think we cheapen everything in this world, to our own detriment. i think its bizarre that one would even think this is odd. i use a machete instead of a weedwacker, some people think about more than money, some people have standards in everything.

i dont get the point of this at all
Old 08-14-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
yeah, id buy the guys hay if i needed hay. i appreciate people who dont take the easy way out and trade fuel for something that can be done with honest work. i think we cheapen everything in this world, to our own detriment. i think its bizarre that one would even think this is odd. i use a machete instead of a weedwacker, some people think about more than money, some people have standards in everything.

i dont get the point of this at all
Some people would be proud of having sex standing up in a canoe. Others see no point in it.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Some people would be proud of having sex standing up in a canoe. Others see no point in it.
exactly, but why is it worth talking about? thats the sort of thing you see, go hmmpf, then just keep walking. or try when you get home, as that would be an amazing feat.

who cares...

sorry, my mood was trashed yesterday, then i read this crap and felt like the world had gone mad with negativity just because it can.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:30 AM

This post is one reason why I love this place. It’s just the best!

Hay is for horses and we just need to all sit back and enjoy the glory of someone taking the time to hand cut their hay and sell it with pride.

I bet if he used a bike with blades attached to do the trimming it would be lauded here as a novel and worthy achievement.

I feel like watching some Portlandia now.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:58 AM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Ask and ye shall receive

https://youtu.be/TBb9O-aW4zI
Ha!
I was just going to post this. Except it’s not really for sale.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:02 AM

Is it any wonder that people are becoming anachronistic, when everything we invented and used to sell to the world is now manufactured in China and sold back to us?

Nobody can afford the time it takes to become a cabinet maker because, no community of American ancestral architecture can afford to pay skilled workers the wage they'd deserve for acquiring the skills required to maintain 150 y/o housing stock. Is it any wonder our children and grand-children are building houses on trailers, or in vans?

The human impulse is straining to break free of the goddmned economy, and big education keeps trying to sell us loans so we can double down on nothing much, at all.

In our '1st-world' economy, farmers are sitting 11 feet off the ground in air-conditioned cabs listening to Rush Limbaugh on satellite radio while they harvest wheat.

Is it any wonder that someone, maybe some wealthy child or grandchild we know, wants to stand on the Earth itself, put their hands into the crops they've grown and harvest them into the satchel on their hip?

I find nothing laughable in the actual human act of farming. In my community it's how a lot of people feed their children, or afford less basic necessities.

If you hadn't seen the ad you'd have never noticed them at all. And the impoverished rural American has been here struggling and losing you're whole life. And yes, they've been "artisanal farming".

The next time we all drive by a family member sitting in the shade behind their truck of produce, let's stop, and let's buy something.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:48 PM

Noticed a sign in southern New Hampshire, "Wild Apple Wood" for sale.....
Old 08-15-2019, 07:17 PM

Back in the old country I remember watching gramps wielding a grim-reaper style scythe and cutting hay. But he did it because the tractor was broke down, not out of desire. Heck of a work out I'm sure.
In today's culture, I guess knowing your hay was cut without using a combustion engine sure makes some people all cutie and fuzzy inside. To each his own.