Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2023, 07:04 PM

Orlando cycling

Hey, I am taking a family trip to Orlando this summer and was wondering what the cycling scene is like there. Is it worth renting a bike? Is there a decent place close to the city center worth cycling? I am fine to just run and lift for a week, but cycling is fun too!

Also, anyone have experience with resort/hotel bikes and pedals? It might be nice to bring my Favero Assioma pedals to make the indoor experience better
Old 06-02-2023, 07:09 PM
Everything is connected

Reach out to Ralph here on PL.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:17 PM

Most of the cycling is around the W side of town around hilly Clermont area, and NE of Downtown. Check out Seminole Cycles and Florida Freewheelers ride schedules. Very large cycle clubs with rides most days of the week. Most have rides you can download. If you don't want to mix with traffic, we have wide paved trails where you can ride all you want. Some fast group rides Sat and Sun AM...check Seminole Cyclists. I believe there is a short trail downtown. Probably best for running.

The answer you get to your question will most likely depend on what kind of riding they do. I'm an old guy and I don't like mixing with traffic, so I prefer the urban trails. Others who ride much faster prefer the roads. Lots of riding around here. Mornings typically clear, afternoons maybe thunderstorms.

I'm sure others will opine. Orlando is a big metropolitan area. If you are going to be in the Disney area....that's not really Orlando. I live about 15 miles NE of downtown, and most of the Disney property is 30-40 miles SW of me. I wouldn't even consider riding a bike around Disneyworld. No cycling infrastructure there....they want you renting cars and riding their transportation. It all depends on where you are staying. Up my way, lots of riding. Trails or country roads. Clermont....wonderful riding. But bike club group rides leaving from about everywhere....except S of town.

Last edited by Ralph; 06-02-2023 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:48 PM

Unless you are just going to ride on paved trails riding in Orlando is a hard pass. The traffic has just gotten worse and worse. Check out the Seminole Wekiva trail, West Orange trail. I think winter garden wheel works rents bikes. You can take the west orange trail from their shop into to Clermont to got some Florida hills. There are group rides on the weekends in Orlando and Windermere area.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:38 AM
Too Few Miles

Long Time Orlando Resident Here

I would not recommend city center for any cycling of substance. It's crowded, the roads are narrow, what does not have heavy traffic is residential so it's hard to get up any sustained training and if you don't know where you are going there are some really sketchy areas.

If you have a car and want to drive out, starting at Winter Garden and taking the trail out to a series of state roads in / near Clermont is really nice, with rolling hills and not much traffic.

Alternatively, the trail system north of the city (as others have pointed out) is safe, wide and generally a nice ride (be careful when it crosses streets!).

This time of year you do need to start early. We're getting into wet season so T-storms can be as early as 1 pm.

Feel free to PM.

Joel
Old 06-03-2023, 08:47 AM

Any mountain biking close by?
Old 06-03-2023, 12:56 PM
Too Few Miles

^^^
Uh, it's Florida

I'm not into that. I do seem to recall that there was some trail riding by Wekiva Park at some point, but it may have been closed down due to accidents.

I'll leave it to any other locals with knowledge.
Old 06-03-2023, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
Any mountain biking close by?
Nothing worthwhile in the Orlando area. Gotta drive to Ocala/Tampa for any sort of decent trails.

I was in Florida for 30 years. In the past couple of years, things have gotten worse and worse in Orlando. The traffic and drivers are just downright dangerous and do not want us on their roads. Go with a group or stick to the trails.
Old 06-03-2023, 02:24 PM

There is a series of Mtn bike trails at the Markam RD trail head on the Seminole Wekiva Trail. Parking, bike wash, etc. It has been expanded considerable last few years. Still mostly flat, but single track thru woods over creeks, etc. Some trails more technical than others. Believe all ridable by people of modest skills. My visiting son recently said he got in 12 miles and didn't ride them all. And some more trails on Snow Hill RD. Haven't done any of them myself.

A very popular gravel ride is the Lake Apopka Loop trail route around the edge of Lake Apopka. 34 miles round trip from the parking lot in Magnolia Park, in Orange County. N of Orlando. Flat but scenic....and depending on the time of year interesting dodging local "wild life" (Gators). Lots of large birds. Interesting ride with some history behind it. Part of the lake was drained during WW11 for growing vegetables for the war effort, lot of pesticides, etc. Currently trying to restore and clean lake to previous bass fishing glory and better recreational use. Believe 3rd largest lake in state. I have a bike with 700X32's I use here. Wider tires would be better. I like to ride this....take pics, etc. The old pump house has some interesting WW11 Allis Chalmers diesel engines in it. Still working when they move water around.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Lake+A...f66567&pc=U531

There is actually a lot of almost year around riding around here. But you have to know where it is....like most places. The above is only a sample.

Last edited by Ralph; 06-04-2023 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:57 PM

I’m seconding Lake Apopa. Get out there early because there’s no shade but it’s beautiful riding. You can also ride the trail to Ferndale and ride the infamous Mount Sugarloaf loop and then go back and finish the lake loop. When you’re done you can stop in downtown Winter Garden for a beer at Crooked Can brewery. I’ve done this ride several times and it’s one of my favorites.

I can send you a .fit or .gpx file if you’re interested.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:16 AM

Thanks I’m looking for something to get a break from the Disney experience. Hopefully I’ll be able to bring my bike, but don’t want to lug it 2k miles for nothing either.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:02 AM

Put it to you this way, a hard core cycling buddy of mine who moved to Orlando but the bike away after a month or so and took up sailing instead.
Old 10-12-2023, 12:24 PM

Any suggestions for good shops to visit? I am specifically looking for road shoes, so anyplace that has a good range of sizes and brands is appreciated.

From what I can tell we are staying in the north end of the city.
Old 10-12-2023, 01:30 PM

Orange Cycle is the shop you want to visit, as its reasonably large, in a nice part of town, and they have a good inventory. A very good shop. There are others, but Orange is the best imho.

As others have said, traffic has gotten very bad, not just in Orlando but just about all over Florida. Its sad but, it's just the way it is. It's not knocking on heavens door like it used to be.

Clermont has also grown in population but, it remains a good place to road cycle. Some good short hills, and some decent scenery although the orange trees are gone. But the Clermont area is worth bringing your bike for, because it will make a nice getaway from the Disney scene and you get some exercise. You can get routes from RideWithGPS or, via the Florida Freewheeler site (if you are a member).
Old 10-13-2023, 04:22 PM
Too Few Miles

Yes, Orange Cycle is the answer for that. I have not looked at their shoe selection post COVID so I'm not sure what they carry anymore.

If you're staying up north, it's an easy detour off of I-4 heading to the tourist areas.

Just exit at Princeton Street heading west. Cross Edgewater. It's immediately on the left. Don't speed on Princeton though - major speed trap...

Enjoy!