Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2023, 03:10 PM

good luck--that is a hard arena to be in

I remember around 2014 being tasked to create a from-scratch sexual assault response program, which was really dumb since at the time the base followed the near-gold standard CA program with its dedicated centers and professionals fully trained. Instead, be were tasked to do a "separate but equal" type of plan, which was only separate: as we then had navy docs/nurses who weren't well trained trying to do the exams and such (and with constant PCS and the relatively low-volume of sexual assaults', they never would be as good as the professionals doing the county-wide CA program). The local DAs were really pissed about the quality of the 1st few cases that happened. I retired in 2016 before anything went to trial. The only ones who benefited were the victim advocates since they could use the base clinic rather than having to drive to the CA county dedicated SARP center.

I hope the USCG was smarter about it.

Also, since USCG moved under DHS, did you guys lose CAL-VET? I hope not, since much of your career (10yrs?) you were DoD and I'd think that should qualify. It is a significant benefit if your kid is interested in a UC school.

wishing you tailwinds on your rides

Last edited by jimcav; 06-02-2023 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2023, 03:18 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
I remember around 2014 being tasked to create a from-scratch sexual assault response program, which was really dumb since at the time the base followed the near-gold standard CA program with its dedicated centers and professionals fully trained. Instead, be were tasked to do a "separate but equal" type of plan, which was only separate: as we then had navy docs/nurses who weren't well trained trying to do the exams and such. The local DAs were really pissed about the quality of the 1st few cases that happened. I retired in 2016 before anything went to trial. The only ones who benefited were the victim advocates since they could use the base clinic rather than having to drive to the CA county dedicated SARP center.

I hope the USCG was smarter about it.

Also, since USCG moved under DHS, did you guys lose CAL-VET? I hope not, since much of your career you were DoD and I'd think that should qualify. It is a significant benefit if your kid is interested in a UC school.

wishing you tailwinds on your rides
we just revamped our SAAPR program to align with a study/review that was done the last couple of years.. it should be a lot better for the victims.

I can still qualify for the CAL-VET program as long as I meet one of the parameters.. for me, I basically need to get a 100% rating from the VA, so we'll see..

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2023, 03:19 PM

Chris,

Congrats on retirement. I am guessing that your handle, fourflys, means you and your wife have two (probably now) adult children.

I retired at 70 years old last September as the clinical manager of respiratory care and pulmonary diagnostics at Winchester Medical Center. I may have retired sooner but my office was dead center of a 48-bed adult ICU and COVID hit. I just could not jump ship when the ICU looked like a war zone.

I also was planning on working per diem in the pulmonary lab after stopping full time, but decided instead on full retirement - in retrospect, that was the right decision.

Dave
Old 06-02-2023, 03:24 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
Chris,

Congrats on retirement. I am guessing that your handle, fourflys, means you and your wife have two (probably now) adult children.

I retired at 70 years old last September as the clinical manager of respiratory care and pulmonary diagnostics at Winchester Medical Center. I may have retired sooner but my office was dead center of a 48-bed adult ICU and COVID hit. I just could not jump ship when the ICU looked like a war zone.

I also was planning on working per diem in the pulmonary lab after stopping full time, but decided instead on full retirement - in retrospect, that was the right decision.

Dave
Thanks Dave and, yes, I have two kids.. my email used to be Threeflys, but then I messed around and found out and became Fourflys..

I'm really looking forward to being able to still help my fellow Coasties, especially in what is, I'm sure, the darkest time of their lives..
Old 06-02-2023, 03:24 PM

Congrats, well done and thank you Master Chief! Is HS Coastie for Corpsman? Also best wishes on starting an honorable second career. I served on my Navy base board evaluating sexual assault, domestic violence and child abuse cases and feel like we did good work.

A Navy salute for you! (given to me by a Corpsman Chief when I got out in 2008)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5668.jpg (65.7 KB, 102 views)
Old 06-02-2023, 03:25 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Congrats, well done and thank you Master Chief! Is HS Coastie for Corpsman? Also best wishes on starting an honorable second career. I served on my Navy base board evaluating sexual assault, domestic violence and child abuse cases and feel like we did good work.

A Navy salute for you! (given to me by a Corpsman Chief when I got out in 2008)
Yes, HS stands for Health Services Technician officially, but we call ourselves Corpsman..

and thank you (and all the other prior on here) for all of your service!
Old 06-02-2023, 03:35 PM

Congratulations, Master Chief!

Thank you for everything you've done. And from a long-retired Navy Medicine Captain, what a wonderful touch to pin your Skipper as an Honorary Chief. She must be thrilled!
Old 06-02-2023, 03:59 PM

Congrats Master Chief, well deserved.

I'm about 3 years removed from when I started retirement leave from the Army after 20 years, if I'd say anything, it would be to take a proper break before starting the new gig and reset perspective, you'll be much happier for it. While my time in was filled with much more good than bad moments, it is the people I miss more than anything.

MSG, US Army Retired
Old 06-02-2023, 04:03 PM

I salute you Sir! Job Well Done!!
Old 06-02-2023, 05:20 PM

Congratulations

Good luck in your next task
Old 06-02-2023, 06:08 PM

Congratulations and thanks for your service.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:15 PM

Great post. I really appreciate your focus on mentoring/promotion of staff. I always think that when I am done, I will first and foremost measure my impact by the folks whose careers I have supported.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:27 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa86 View Post
Great post. I really appreciate your focus on mentoring/promotion of staff. I always think that when I am done, I will first and foremost measure my impact by the folks whose careers I have supported.
thank you! My realization a while back was while I loved the Anchors on my collar and the Badge on my chest, I loved them because they allowed me into a space to, hopefully, make a difference in a member's career or life.. even if I was able to help only one person through a rough patch, it was all worth it.. There will be many more Master Chiefs and CMCs in the Coast Guard.. I'm easily replaced in that regard.. but hopefully someone remembers me for being Chris rather than Master Chief.. our jobs will always be to train those below us to replace us (in all aspects, not just technical).. the minute we lose that focus, we become a manager and not a leader IMHO..
Old 06-02-2023, 08:38 PM

Congrats!!!!
Old 06-03-2023, 04:57 AM

Congrats. I hope you can savor the next part of your life and that it is filled with much goodness.
My wife and I retired 3 years ago. The first months were a joy - just being done with the old stuff. Now? Part time work, helping extended family - probably just as "busy," but without the same pressures. I have to remind myself to stop and contemplate the mysteries of this life. We are much more aware of the fragility of our days .... And that is a good thing.