Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2023, 08:44 AM

Bont Vapyor-
Or
Shimano RX8

The Bonts are so stiff and great for shorter riders - racing.

RX8 is so comfortable- great shoes

I also like the Lake shoes- I just got a pair and they are my favorite mtb shoe ever (I know that is not what you are looking for but as a point of reference from a shoe person)
Old 06-02-2023, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Thank you all for the recommendations.

Seems like the S-Works and the RX8 got the most recommendations. I do not like lace up shoes for cycling, and know Shimano fit works for me, and I found a nice price on the RX8 in my size so I spring for them. Should be a good fit. I'll report back on how I like them once I get some miles on them. Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:17 AM

The Sidi Gravel shoe is much like my Sidi road shoes in fit and feel. Uses the Boa, which I've found I don't care for, but it does the trick. Looks like the might have beefed up the sole from my version
https://www.sidi.com/en/mtb/400-mtb-gravel.html
Old 06-02-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
These shoes come with a lousy insole. I put the Specialized aftermarket insoles in them and they are very comfortable.

I do think it's a little ridiculous that shoes that expensive don't come with a comfy insole. But I got mine for free so I guess I'm not complaining too loudly.
Same. I replace with the blue Spec insole every time.

Instagram
Old 06-02-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Thank you all for the recommendations.

Seems like the S-Works and the RX8 got the most recommendations. I do not like lace up shoes for cycling, and know Shimano fit works for me, and I found a nice price on the RX8 in my size so I spring for them. Should be a good fit. I'll report back on how I like them once I get some miles on them. Thanks again.
Both of those shoes have pretty polarizing fits, but they're both highly regarded by the people they fit. I've been a Giro fanboy for the last 10 years or so and I just can't really go anywhere else, they somehow are both roomy and secure. Shimano is oddly wide and flat, the heel on Specialized is too damn tight on my Achilles, and Lakes, which everyone seems to love, have a heel that's too loose, such that I need to crank on the boas enough to cut circulation off in my foot to keep it from sloshing around the shoe.

So I'm stuck with Giros, and I really liked my old Code VR70s for gravel applications. The carbon sole finally wore so much that they rocked like crazy with SPDs, so I got a set of Empire
VR90s, which I like the fit of, but I'm not crazy about the laces. I wish they would make the Code VR70s again, or maybe make a mtb version of their imperial:

Old 06-02-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
or maybe make a mtb version of their imperial:
That would be 100% amazing.

The shoes I finally killed were the previous techlace road version of those. They're the most comfortable and best vented shoes I've ever used and I dont care that they're trashed I'll do it again as soon as I can find another pair.
Old 06-02-2023, 12:15 PM

RX8 also have a wide version if the regular fit doesn't work out
Old 06-02-2023, 12:39 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj0 View Post
RX8 also have a wide version if the regular fit doesn't work out
just be aware that the wide isn't that wide (as compared to something like a Lake).. I had the RX6 in wide and while it was a great shoe (at least wearing around the house), it was just a bit too narrow after 45 minutes or so..
Old 06-02-2023, 12:59 PM

I have wide feet. I have ridden Sidi Megas, and Lake MX237 for past 20 years. Recently got the Lake MX242 and it was the most comfortable pair for my feet.

That is until I went ahead and got Bont Vapor G with double width Asian fit, and this is another notch above the Lake MX242 in comfort. It is also lighter.

However, it is harder to walk in Bont Vapor G, but sounds like it would fit your use. I am using the Lake MX242 for MTB where some walking on trail is needed at times, and Bont Vapor G for road riding.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:12 PM

If they have your size, grab them: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...=330100-205506

They are the most comfortable and light gravel shoes I've ever had (I had a few).
Old 06-02-2023, 01:13 PM
shimergo

+1 on S-Works Recon, Shimano RX8, and Bont Vaypor G.

I've owned all 3 pairs and use them with Time ATAC on my road, gravel, and MTB.

Some notes:
Shimano RX8 - Very light. Stiff enough but not too stiff. I have the wide version, but as fourflys mentioned they're really not that wide. Shimano "wide" simply adds a bit more material to the upper and doesn't add insole width. I retired this pair not due to wear, but just that it became too narrow for me.

S-Works Recon (Boa version) - Not as light as the RX8, but definitely more stiff while still being able to walk and hike-a-bike. The materials in the upper is very durable. I have thousands of miles on my pair and they've sustained multiple incidents, walking, etc. I have the wide version of these and despite not being super wide, the upper stretches enough to barely accommodate.

Bont Vaypor G - These are extremely stiff due to the "bathtub" carbon sole. Really similar to road racing shoes. Excellent power transfer, but might pose a comfort issue for longer days or walking. I've worn mine only a couple times on the trainer but gave up on them because one of my feet doesn't jive with the edge of the bathtub sole (up for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested).
Old 06-02-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davist View Post
alternatively you could use the 3 bolt to 2 bolt adapter shimano has here for $17.
+1
Old 06-02-2023, 01:16 PM

One note the "new" s works recon sl are a very different animal than the previous version with velcro strap/or laced. More of a gravel/xc shoe than a cx/mtb shoe.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:33 PM

S-works Recon with BOA.

Light/stiff/very durable -except for the lugs, which I rarely use. Wider-ish toe box allows for a natural foot spread.

Heel cup shape is a bit funky for me. Thought I might get out my heat gun to tweak but it's been just "subproblematic" and I'm lazy.

Not perfectly executed design but almost the same quality as a custom shoe at 1/3 to 1/4 the price at retail. Deals available regularly.

Edit: Just looked at the Specialized site. Not seeing an SL version but the new S-works looks improved in a couple areas.

Last edited by bshell; 06-02-2023 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
Both of those shoes have pretty polarizing fits, but they're both highly regarded by the people they fit. I've been a Giro fanboy for the last 10 years or so and I just can't really go anywhere else, they somehow are both roomy and secure. Shimano is oddly wide and flat, the heel on Specialized is too damn tight on my Achilles, and Lakes, which everyone seems to love, have a heel that's too loose, such that I need to crank on the boas enough to cut circulation off in my foot to keep it from sloshing around the shoe.
Good info.

Bontrager has the loose heel like Lakes with a Big roomy toe box like Specialized.

I find the loose heel weird/annoying until I clip in, then it disappears. Problematic sometimes for MTB though. I almost popped my foot out of them once when I had to get off the bike and push it up a super steep incline. If you had to run with the bike in XC/Cross it would be a problem for sure.

I think I should try Giros, but the look of that shoe you put the picture up of looks like it has too much of a curved last for me that would force the feeling of pedaling toe down. That kind of last gives me numb feet at high intensities, and pretty quickly.

I should try Shimano if they are flat as I pedal flat or heel down, but then if they are wide that might not work. My first pair of shoes was Shimano but that was like forever ago, at that time they were not too wide and worked well and were very comfortable.