Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2023, 11:00 PM
Member?

Bont Vaypor G. Very light weight, stiff and moldable.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:08 PM

I will put another vote in for Shimano RX8. I love them so much that I switched my road bike to SPD pedals.
Old 06-02-2023, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I will put another vote in for Shimano RX8. I love them so much that I switched my road bike to SPD pedals.
More RX8 love here. I felt like they were as close to a road shoes as I have ever tried for MTB shoes. Light and stiff and comfy. I think Fizik makes a powerstrap model that looks like a road shoe but has a lightly lugged sole. I think they’re ugly, but they are well liked…
Old 06-02-2023, 01:42 AM

Sidi Dragons were the closest thing to a road shoe that I have used. Stiff carbon soles with the ability to walk when needed. Used mine for a few seasons.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2023, 06:59 AM

Giro Empire if you don't mind laces.

For a true mtb shoe, I like Shimano XC9s.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:02 AM

The Sidi last and sole pretty much stays the same from road to MTB, if they work for your feet. Replaceable lugs as well which is nice. Tigers or Dragon(now Drako I believe) match the Shot/Wire models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2023, 08:00 AM

I use sidis, but they're way heavy vs road shoes. Don't have personal experince with MTB versions, but the Fizik winter and road shoes are great, and MTB terra straps are on sale at BTD here Alternatively you could use the 3 bolt to 2 bolt adapter shimano has here for $17. I don't reallly do much hike a bike, even in the chonk with my 2.1s and wonder why I have mtb shoes sometimes..
Old 06-02-2023, 08:06 AM

S Works Recon

I recently tried the S Works Recon (lace). Excel Sports has them on clearance. They were actually too pro for me. Like a rigid pro road shoe with a little bit of rubber lug on them. Sounds like what you are describing. I see several others have suggested the same shoe as well.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Might pick up a new pair of gravel shoes this season...

I am most comfortable in road shoes and pedals, but for many reasons I use MTB pedals on my gravel bike and obviously this means mtb shoes.

My favorite road shoes are Giro with the carbon sole. Light and stiff.

I have the upper end, whatever they are called Giro mtb shoes and they are fine, but definitely a lot heavier and not as comfortable to me as the road shoe.

I do not require big lugs or gobs of traction. Looking for a minimalist, lightweight basically road shoe that is walkable and uses SPD cleats.

Sidi is out for me, just dont work for my foot.

Thoughts?
I have the same preference and I use road shoes on my gravel rides with Look Keo cleats/pedals. The only downside is that the nice lightweight road shoes seem to get worn out very quickly doing this.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:16 AM

If you really like Giro road shoes, their lower end models are both 2 bolt and 3 bolt compatible.

https://www.giro.com/p/stylus-road-c...100000100.html

https://www.giro.com/p/cadet-road-cy...100000096.html
Old 06-02-2023, 08:18 AM

Bont Vapor-G
Old 06-02-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikser View Post
I recently tried the S Works Recon (lace). Excel Sports has them on clearance. They were actually too pro for me. Like a rigid pro road shoe with a little bit of rubber lug on them. Sounds like what you are describing. I see several others have suggested the same shoe as well.
These shoes come with a lousy insole. I put the Specialized aftermarket insoles in them and they are very comfortable.

I do think it's a little ridiculous that shoes that expensive don't come with a comfy insole. But I got mine for free so I guess I'm not complaining too loudly.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:28 AM

Having used mtb shoes for many years nows in lieu of road shoes, I use mostly road-like shoes with some lugs. My current shoes are some older Bontrager mtb shoes with rigid carbon soles; they've lasted for over 10 yrs now.

I also use the Specialized Recon 2.0 and 3.0. Very light for a mtb shoe (it makes my older Lake shoes feel like boat anchors). I'm a big fan of the Boa since it is so easy to adjust, especially on the bike as your feet swell. I ride with them a bit loose to start and once my feet feel "right" after a few miles, then I can tighten with a quick turn. I got mine on sale through Specialized and Backcountry.

Both Bontrager and Specialized have wider toe boxes than Giro and Shimano in their medium widths.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:29 AM

Another vote for S-works Recon. You might also look at an spd pedal with a wider platform, like an A600. I use both of these together and it feels like I'm leaving very little on the table compared to my road shoes/pedals.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:29 AM

Insoles are ridiculously personal.. they put the "lousy" ones in because one that you or I think is amazing will be horrible/painful/injurious to someone else. (Just like shoes really)

I have had several rounds of both Specialized and Bontrager shoes where both the road and MTB shoe fit identically. I have Bontrager MTB shoes right now that look a lot like road shoes.. pretty subtle with the lugs. Not great on stiffness but I didn't buy the fancy ones.

Last edited by benb; 06-02-2023 at 08:31 AM.