Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2023, 10:56 AM

So is anyone a little surprised that SRAM/Shimano/Campy haven't come out with pre-waxed chains? I know there are the $$$ graphene super duper extra space polymer ones sold, but it seems like a hole in the market, given how popular chain waxing has become.

I'd probably get one if I could get a pre-waxed chain for ~$40 or so from shimano and just dunk it in a melted wax bucket for a few minutes every couple weeks. And that's coming from a current non-waxer.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:58 AM

Yes totally. If this is so great, and I'm sure Shimano/SRAM/Campy have pretty serious testing, why are they not pre-selling chains setup this way?

They could even do it both ways for people who don't want to pay the upcharge.

And if Silca could do it effectively at scale it would make sense for them to sell chains that they already did it for.

Definitely a business opportunity to completely eliminate the time/chemicals arguments completely.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
ok boomer
Off by basically 2 generations, but thanks for being offensive to all the older members.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Yes totally. If this is so great, and I'm sure Shimano/SRAM/Campy have pretty serious testing, why are they not pre-selling chains setup this way?

They could even do it both ways for people who don't want to pay the upcharge.

And if Silca could do it effectively at scale it would make sense for them to sell chains that they already did it for.

Definitely a business opportunity to completely eliminate the time/chemicals arguments completely.
Silca does sell new chains that it has stripped and waxed.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Off by basically 2 generations, but thanks for being offensive to all the older members.
has nothing to do with age
Old 06-02-2023, 11:13 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
my guess is because they don't need to, market-wise, and the set-up to make this happen would be quite expensive.. I'm not going to debate if I should or shouldn't wax my chain, but my feeling is the number of riders who do take the time is extremely small in the grand scheme of cyclists.. and unless Shimano/SRAM/KMC can come out a with a pre-waxed chain that's only a few dollars more, they would never sell enough to make it worth the production costs..

Also, Silca sells a pre-waxed chain if you are looking for that..
https://silca.cc/collections/chain-l...xed-race-chain
Old 06-02-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:

A bottle of this + a bag of the Silca chain lube costs almost as much as a top end chain too.
Cheap waxed chain > top of the line chain that never got factory grease flushed

Faster, cleaner, longer lasting.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
my guess is because they don't need to, market-wise, and the set-up to make this happen would be quite expensive.. I'm not going to debate if I should or shouldn't wax my chain, but my feeling is the number of riders who do take the time is extremely small in the grand scheme of cyclists.. and unless Shimano/SRAM/KMC can come out a with a pre-waxed chain that's only a few dollars more, they would never sell enough to make it worth the production costs..
This is an interesting proposition to be honest. If the biggest hassle with waxed chains is the factory grease, manufacturers are the players positioned to never apply factory grease in the first place and wax the chains instead.

Still probably not realistic as they'd need entirely new tooling and processes in factories they don't own, only to meet a very small fraction of the market. But interesting nonetheless.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Agree 100% on both assertions. Since I started waxing chains, I spend less time on bike maintenance. The wax lasts longer than my previous lubes AND the bike stays far cleaner. I find this especially noticeable on my gravel bike, after a muddy or dusty ride. It cleans up so much faster because chain lube hasn't been dispersed all over the back half of the bike. Post-ride bike cleaning takes 1/3 the time it previously required.

Greg
Maybe you were using too much chain lube? If I clean my gravel bike after a muddy or dusty ride, it's to clean off the mud and dust, not chain lube that has been "dispersed over the back half of the bike."
Old 06-02-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
This is an interesting proposition to be honest. If the biggest hassle with waxed chains is the factory grease, manufacturers are the players positioned to never apply factory grease in the first place and wax the chains instead.

Still probably not realistic as they'd need entirely new tooling and processes in factories they don't own, only to meet a very small fraction of the market. But interesting nonetheless.
I've always thought of the factory coating as more of a long-term rust inhibitor than an actual lubricating grease. Chains are something that's going to sit on a shelf or in a LBS drawer for years (maybe) and still needs to look brand new coming out of the package.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
I've always thought of the factory coating as more of a long-term rust inhibitor than an actual lubricating grease.
That's exactly what it's meant to be. If that stuff was such great chain lube, why wouldn't the chain manufacturers sell it aftermarket? If it was so great, they'd be able to sell oodles of it.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:37 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Maybe you were using too much chain lube? If I clean my gravel bike after a muddy or dusty ride, it's to clean off the mud and dust, not chain lube that has been "dispersed over the back half of the bike."
I would agree.. as a more inexperienced cyclist, I know I was using way too much lube back in the day.. I didn't understand the idea that the lube was for the inside of the chain (rollers, pins, etc) and NOT for where the chain meets the teeth..

#themoreyouknow (insert theme music)
Old 06-02-2023, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I would agree.. as a more inexperienced cyclist, I know I was using way too much lube back in the day.. I didn't understand the idea that the lube was for the inside of the chain (rollers, pins, etc) and NOT for where the chain meets the teeth..
Appreciate the suggestions, but no, the mess isn't from too much lube on the chain. Prior to waxing, I only lubed the appropriate parts of the chain (pins/rollers) and wiped off excess lube prior to riding. During wet rides, every part the chain touched (chainrings, cogs, derailleur pulleys) would get some small amount chain lube washed on to them. That in turn would get onto the rear wheel, derailleurs, and frame. Since I switched to chain wax, I find all drivetrain components stay much cleaner and wash off easier after a muddy or dusty ride. Chain wax is a win-win for me. Longer lubrication intervals, easier cleanup, and (if you believe the hype) maybe a bit less friction. The latter is immaterial to me.

Greg
Old 06-02-2023, 01:37 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
This whole wax thing just boggles me. How does anyone actually have the time and money to want to deal with this to save 5w or whatever they claim?
For me, waxxing has zero to do with performance.

The only reason I'm interested is that with cassettes now costing ~$200, I want them to last as long as possible. Waxing allegedly extends drivetrain life by 3-4-5x. That's cool with me.

@JoshSilca, THANK YOU for posting. Welcome to the jungle here of naysayers and constant pissing and moaning. Most here would likely protest being handed a glass of water in hell if the ice were missing on not the proper type (everyone knows that "hosiptal ice" is best and saves watts).

Last edited by lavi; 06-02-2023 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:55 PM

Guys, if you don't want to wax chains or use Silca products, that's fine!!! It's your bike, do it your way! Sheesh.

Cleanliness and component lifetime are my reasons. And if there is an easy one step new chain prep product that works, it got even easier.