Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Agree. Hope it streams. But, as Lemond raced in the Gewiss Ballan EPO fueled early 90s, why he started getting dropped…Timmy Duggan saw the same thing and subsequently quit after he refused to ‘go on the program’ at Liquigas(sp?).
I regularly trained with a few local Pros in the late '90s, one raced in Europe for Motorola and experienced the same. After a few months was sent home because he wouldn't partake. The stories he would tell.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:12 PM

Prize-Winning Zucchini Stripped Of Blue Ribbon Following Miracle Gro Scandal

https://www.theonion.com/prize-winni...win-1850488514
Old 06-02-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
I regularly trained with a few local Pros in the late '90s, one raced in Europe for Motorola and experienced the same. After a few months was sent home because he wouldn't partake. The stories he would tell.
There are many of these stories, not to dismiss your friends, but I have heard stories as well that only corroborate yours. A lot of the pros from the US had a different outlook on life than the guys from Europe. Most of them came from wealthier families, they had career options, and were willing to give up a pro career and return stateside to avoid the risk of premature death. It was going on here to a much lesser extent as well. If you look at the mainstream US sports they were/are rife with "enhancements", starting at the HS level. These sports are mostly made up of guys from the "other" side of the tracks trying to make it and willing to do whatever it takes, just like the Euros.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:57 AM

Man, I really wish we could discuss pro racing from the past without it devolving into a doping discussion. C'est la vie I guess.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Man, I really wish we could discuss pro racing from the past without it devolving into a doping discussion. C'est la vie I guess.
"We have seen the enemy and they are us"...Pro bike racing is their own worse enemy. Same as any pro sport that hands out the $ and 'prestige' it does.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Looking forward to seeing this. As a young teenager in 86 he was my inspiration that got me into road racing.

https://youtu.be/9kWF4FmllqM
Same here except I was a bit older at the time. Loved cycling as a kid then went to college and spent too much time studying. When a classmate in med school told me about the 1996 Tour deFrance, which we watched on CBS, it resurrected my passion for road racing.
I’ve always admired LeMond, his rare talent, determination and “guts” to go to Europe and break into such a “foreign” sport as the rare American. Over the years I’ve picked up many books and DVDs of his racing and life.
I believe that he was “clean” with the big difference and his unorthodox approach to specializing in the Tour de France and World Championships, using almost all the others races only as preparation.
In contrast, most great riders (Merckx, Hinault) went out to win “every” Classic and would never consider LeMond’s approach.
After the LA fiasco, I’m glad LeMond’s accomplishments will be given the exposure they deserve.

Last edited by Cycling Doc; 06-03-2023 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 06-03-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
There are many of these stories, not to dismiss your friends, but I have heard stories as well that only corroborate yours. A lot of the pros from the US had a different outlook on life than the guys from Europe. Most of them came from wealthier families, they had career options, and were willing to give up a pro career and return stateside to avoid the risk of premature death. It was going on here to a much lesser extent as well. If you look at the mainstream US sports they were/are rife with "enhancements", starting at the HS level. These sports are mostly made up of guys from the "other" side of the tracks trying to make it and willing to do whatever it takes, just like the Euros.
These Americans from wealthier families you speak of, are these the same that dope on Ritalin and other ADHD drugs to improve their scores on college entrance exams, to get into more elite schools? (That is, when their parents are giving outright bribes to college admissions). Cheating (through drugs and other means) isn't restricted to certain classes and groups of people, but can be found everywhere.
Old 06-03-2023, 01:00 PM

Damn, this was showing at the Blue Mountain Film Fest yesterday at 10:30 am but I found out too late.
I was up in the area too.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
These Americans from wealthier families you speak of, are these the same that dope on Ritalin and other ADHD drugs to improve their scores on college entrance exams, to get into more elite schools? (That is, when their parents are giving outright bribes to college admissions). Cheating (through drugs and other means) isn't restricted to certain classes and groups of people, but can be found everywhere.
Bike racing in the US is primarily a sport of middle and upper income people. The athletes that make it to the big time are already at an economic and social advantage. The difference is that Ritalin isn't going to kill you so there's a lot of perceived potential gain for little to no risk. EPO/HGH/blood doping has a lot of measurable gain but there's a lot of risk coupled to it.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:58 PM

It's the US ski team model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
Bike racing in the US is primarily a sport of middle and upper income people. The athletes that make it to the big time are already at an economic and social advantage. The difference is that Ritalin isn't going to kill you so there's a lot of perceived potential gain for little to no risk. EPO/HGH/blood doping has a lot of measurable gain but there's a lot of risk coupled to it.
Old 06-23-2023, 09:21 PM

I saw the film this evening.

LeMond's '89 Tour win inspired me to take up cycling and like most of us, I know the story inside and out.

The interviews with his wife, Guimard and Delgado offered some insight, but I didn't really learn anything new with one exception. Fignon's famous saddle sore that hampered him in the final time trial was, according to Guimard, a testicle swollen three times its normal size. Ouch!

Side note: the ticket was $19.59 and I was the only one in the theater. Plus, the previews and ads took slightly more than 20 minutes.
Old 06-23-2023, 11:55 PM

Don't know who might be interested here in Vermont...but just saw that it's playing at Palace 9 in South Burlington...last day of showing is wednesday...if you go on tuesday it's only 5 bucks!
Old 06-24-2023, 07:28 AM

I can only find it playing in Salt Lake City and for the most part I avoid SLC like the plague.

I so want to see it but will probably have to buy it when it's released to the public.
Old 06-24-2023, 08:12 AM

Just found out it’s playing here in SYR. Texted my SO to add it to the date night list. Between this and the Netflix TdF documentaries, it’s a great time for cycling movies.

Greg
Old 06-24-2023, 01:45 PM
Back At It!

Just getting ready for it to start.. only me so far in a 14 seat theatre in Petaluma.. nice cushy, reclining chairs for $9.50.. it’s like I’m rich and have my own movie room!