Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2023, 01:37 PM

OT: Recommend me sun shirts

Hi everyone. I've been seeing people increasingly wearing those sun shirts, which are those lightweight hoodies to protect you against sunburn. Frankly, I loathe wearing sunscreen, so I thought this would be worth a shot for days where I'm going to be in direct sun for a long time.

I'm looking for something ultra-lightweight but tough...

Any recommendations on what to buy??? Thanks
Old 05-31-2023, 01:45 PM

I have a number of these Patagonia Capilene shirts. I think they come in a hoodie version too. REI has a sale on these at least once a year.

https://www.rei.com/product/216809/p...hic-shirt-mens
Old 05-31-2023, 01:58 PM
Sunshine

REI has their own sunshirt in hooded and regular, and a ton of colors. Best of all- they come in tall too. They seem to run large, I am an XL in most stuff and a Large Tall in these.
Just offering up something on the more inexpensive side of things, while still being quality.

https://www.rei.com/product/185196/r...de-hoodie-mens
https://www.rei.com/product/163977/r...e-t-shirt-mens
Old 05-31-2023, 02:15 PM

I have an Outdoor Research Echo hoodie. Has worked well.
Old 05-31-2023, 02:26 PM

Oh cool, I should have thought to check the REI house brand first. They only have ugly colors left in my size, but hey, I can't imagine thinking about style first in any situation where I would be wearing this thing.... Port-O-Potty Blue will have to do...
Old 05-31-2023, 02:28 PM

If you're interested in a bright yellow one (size medium) I could part with mine. I live in a pretty rainy climate so it hasn't seen much use.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:05 PM

Patagonia and a lot of other outdoor brands make them now. Lightweight UPF-something hoodies. Very popular with fisher(wo)men, kayakers, and others who spend a lot of time with water reflecting extra rays back up to them (or if you're in a place like the Salar de Uyuni, where I've been). You can find similar items from REI and all sorts of other brands at places like Bass Pro/Cabelas. Not sure about Nike/Puma/Adidas/UnderArmor and other more mainstream brands.

I'm sure that the devil (UPF and longevity) is in the details, so you might need to go into the weeds to find what you really want/need.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/me...ody/45325.html

https://www.patagonia.com/product/me...fit/45335.html
Old 05-31-2023, 03:32 PM

I bought three Patagonia long sleeve SPF trail running shirts recently at Dicks (online). I think they are/were? having a sale...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-31-2023, 03:43 PM

Most outdoor and/or fishing apparel companies probably sell these now. I have SPF hoodies from Columbia and Costa. I wear them more doing yard work in the summer than for fishing but they're fine for either purpose.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:49 PM

I have a bunch of Vapor Apparel and Naviskin UV clothing. I think the Vapor Apparel is slightly better cut for a tall skinny cyclist.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:57 PM

If you have jerseys, consider just getting sun sleeves. Many companies sell them, I like the Pearl Izumi. Turns every jersey into a sun jersey

https://www.pearlizumi.com/products/...gn=sag_organic
Old 05-31-2023, 05:00 PM

I just use sun sleeves and a regular jersey. The fabric is good for about SPF 30 to 50 depending on fit and the air goes straight through like it isn't there.
Old 06-02-2023, 02:14 PM

Ive been wearing the Columbia hooded (and non-) ones for a few years now in the boat and kayak- have have enough stuff removed from me that I'm trying to minimize UV exposure to the extent possible. They usually are on major sale during the offseason on the columbia.com site. Sunscreen on the rest of the exposed parts of me, and sun sleeves on the bike in the summer.
Old 06-02-2023, 02:28 PM

I bought one of the REI brand ones to see if I like the concept in general. If I do, I'll spend some more $$ on something fancier. I do like the idea of those sun sleeves...
Old 06-04-2023, 06:51 PM

Good choice IMHO, I have 2 REI long sleeve button down Sahara shirts for hiking and beach under intense California sun, much cooler than a t-shirt where high humidity is not an issue, dry fast and they don't get stinky like a lot of fabrics. Very versatile I wear them often, they even act as a light windbreak over a baselayer in cooler weather. I'd be interested to see if they work as well in Mid-Atlantic summer humidity, but they're awesome in dryer heat for sure.

On the bike, I never ride in sunny conditions without sun sleeves anymore. My favorites are from Voler but I have super cheap $5 ones from Amazon that work too, just not quite as protective, but OK for shorter daily rides--- but the Volers for all day adventures.

Last edited by zennmotion; 06-04-2023 at 06:57 PM.