Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2023, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
$5399!!!!! Bwahahahahahaaaahahahahahaha

What a friggin joke.
No need to laugh. Super Record has always been the top tier group. The best of the best. It's not for everyone. It's not for the masses. If the price offends you, it's not for you.

Introductions of new tech at the Super Record level have always been interesting to watch because it's a sign of what's to come at the lower levels. Now that they have the tech sorted out, I'm sure we'll be seeing record and chorus follow suit at more reasonable price points.

I'm keen to grab a chorus 45/29 crank when they get them out there.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:01 AM

After seeing this I might have to get a disc road bike.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:03 AM

Hold on, you may have mistaken this thread for the one disparaging the pros closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Which plot? The 'peanut gallery' has been clamoring for a wireless Campag group for how long(in spite of wireless does zero in terms of performance compared to a 'wired' group)??

Same for road disc brakes. Same for external BB cups, same for 9s, 10s, 11s, 12s..same for Cassettes rear hubs and index shifting...etc
etc
etc

Many thought shimano 11s MECHANICAL was the epitome of shifting too(including guys like Wayne Stetina), yet...Di2...
Old 05-30-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Which plot? The 'peanut gallery' has been clamoring for a wireless Campag group for how long(in spite of wireless does zero in terms of performance compared to a 'wired' group)??

Same for road disc brakes. Same for external BB cups, same for 9s, 10s, 11s, 12s..same for Cassettes rear hubs and index shifting...etc
etc
etc

Many thought shimano 11s MECHANICAL was the epitome of shifting too(including guys like Wayne Stetina), yet...Di2...
The plot of not changing for the sake of change.

There’s little here that reads as “better”, when compared to what already exists - ie, SR12.

The ground that’s broken feels and looks like form over substance.

Of course I’d 100% take it over any Shimano or SRAM offerings…..

Note: I spent Saturday enjoying a mix of R10/C10, hammering along in a group ride next to anonymous carbon bikes w electro 12 speed disc whatever systems.. I might just be hungover on the elegance of what came before.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
After seeing this I might have to get a disc road bike.
(chanting softly)

one of us... one of us... one of us... one of us...
Old 05-30-2023, 09:14 AM

Another vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXj6...=CyclingWeekly
Old 05-30-2023, 09:14 AM

I'm not a candidate for this groupset because it's clearly aimed at high performance riders with the low gear of 29:29. But I think they got some things right. I tried both Record 10 and 11 and couldn't get on with thumb shifters. The new levers look great. However, I ride year round and I am guessing that the two adjacent buttons on the new SR levers are too close when I'm wearing my Castelli winter gloves, whereas I can shift my Shimano 11s fine.

I always think more choices is good for the cycling community so happy to see this offering and curious what will show up in Record and Chorus.

Of course I'm also sad that rim brakes are gone, especially since now with the Growtacs I can have my discs without hydro!
Old 05-30-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
No need to laugh. Super Record has always been the top tier group. The best of the best. It's not for everyone. It's not for the masses. If the price offends you, it's not for you.

Introductions of new tech at the Super Record level have always been interesting to watch because it's a sign of what's to come at the lower levels. Now that they have the tech sorted out, I'm sure we'll be seeing record and chorus follow suit at more reasonable price points.

I'm keen to grab a chorus 45/29 crank when they get them out there.
^This is largely my view. As someone who was looking to pull the trigger on a new groupset, I am tempted to hold fire, fit something 2/h as a placeholder, and wait for a Chorus level wireless. I suspect that might be some time away, however...
Old 05-30-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
No need to laugh. Super Record has always been the top tier group. The best of the best. It's not for everyone.
What does the best of the best mean? Why is it better than any other top tier group? What is the justification for it to be 20% more than any other group on the market? (these are all rhetorical questions...)

The one thing I agree it is not for the masses. Would love to know how many of these groups they will sell in a year compared to Sram or Shimano top tier groups. I realize I don't exactly live in a cycling mecca, but know I will never ever see one of these groups in real life. IRL where I live - Campy isn't a top tier group maker. They are a total niche product.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:19 AM

Campy could merely change the color of their packaging and people would howl that “they’ve lost the plot.”
Old 05-30-2023, 09:20 AM
Sriracha is delicious

Per usual, it's aggressively pricey, but it looks sweet, so I'll talk myself into it before too long...
Old 05-30-2023, 09:21 AM

I am officially too old for this thread. Sell me your old rim brake mechanicals to me and have fun out there!
Old 05-30-2023, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
What does the best of the best mean? Why is it better than any other top tier group? What is the justification for it to be 20% more than any other group on the market? (these are all rhetorical questions...)
Right or wrong, the way I have always thought about it is that Record competes directly with Dura-Ace and RED. Super Record is a class above that level.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:26 AM

Sorry if already covered in the thread - what's the weight of SR WRL? how does it compare to SR12 eps and SR12 mech?

Anyone have the new group listed for sale yet?

Last edited by drgonzo; 05-30-2023 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:52 AM
PezTech

A little more Later.
Wireless 2x12
Carbon Fiber and Ti hadware
Ebike compatible
45X29 / 48x23 / 50x34 Front
10-25 / 10x27 / 10x29 Rear - N3W COMPATIBLE
Gearing combos give you the equal to 55-11 at the big side and 1-1 climbing (in case you have a tree somewhere you want to go up) - and the cassette jumps are small
165/170/172.5/175 Crank l
Battery fully charges inside an hour from dead. - Will give you 120+ miles from dead in 10-ish minutes
Battery's will last 750-1000KM
BATTERY CLEAR INDICATORS - lights on front and rear Batteries
Chargeable on and off bike - Magnetic cord head...
Disc Only
Brakes run cooler / discs get rounded rad.
174.5 Q Factor
25200 Grams - smallest combo

Last edited by Charles M; 05-30-2023 at 10:32 AM.