Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I love the potholes in NE, none finer.
In New England, the Road Department doesn't actually fill in the potholes, they just move them around so you can't memorize them.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:07 PM

Yah seriously I’ve never really gone for a ride anywhere that I truly thought sucked. It’s still a bike ride!
Old 05-30-2023, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
Although a little hesitant to jump into this controversial thread, why not? My wife grew up in Burlington, VT and me just across the lake. We got married in Burlington and lived there for several years. I wasn't riding as much then but the riding was fine, just not the best I have experienced.

We moved to Syracuse, then to the Danville/Bloomsburg area of rural north central PA in the Susquehanna Valley. The riding and the views there were phenomenal when looking out from a high point over the Susquehanna river and its valley. I think that that riding was my favorite as far as emotional attachment.

Now in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, the riding is great but not as spectacular as in our PA home. The thing I like about Virginia is the extensive recorded history, from Jamestown, thru 1619, thru slavery and the plantations which are still here as historical sites, thru the civil war, and on. The riding is fine but that is not why we live here. My wife also has a network of friends here since she taught for 30 years in the VA school system.
* been exploring so/central/western PA of late - Somerset/Bedford county - phenomenal views, rural roads, some really, truly undisturbed country. Looking down over/through the Alleghenies from various high points. Strenuous climbs, varied road surfaces. It’s been revelatory. But the bigger revelation is how much more there is out there! It’s widened my aperture to consider “roads not traveled”.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
In New England, the Road Department doesn't actually fill in the potholes, they just move them around so you can't memorize them.

Love it!
Old 05-30-2023, 08:58 PM
ZhugeLiang

Kingson pal, I know you wrote up this post kinda tongue in cheek. That's OK, I get it, we all have our preferences, likes and dislikes, dreams, aspirations,
notions of perfection etc. But you probably know this, a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush, instead of living in the what could have been, what if, why don't you invest your time and energy in making the best out of what you have and where you are? I truly believe if you do, you will find gems of beauty and perfection around you.

Last edited by weisan; 05-30-2023 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:08 PM

Best post here so far. This from an adopted New Englander (metro Boston) of 25 years. Someone here mentioned ancient roads that predate cars. So true. And there are *so many* of them, all the way to NY. Sure, in the city is kinda crappy but the winters do a number on the roads plus we get significant precipitation. Still, the outdoor riding season provides plenty, and the summers are no joke. I suppose there are worse places; I’ve spent some time in the SF and while beautiful, it was busy with worse pavement. We tend to get spoiled once we find the groove that inspires us. I say we make the most out of it, but as far as being a roadie, it’s pretty kick ass.

One clarification: I wouldn’t say drivers are chill. Rather, they’re tolerating as they know this area is rife w roadies, commuters, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Kingson pal, I know you wrote up this post kinda tongue in cheek. That's OK, I get it, we all have our preferences, likes and dislikes, dreams, aspirations,
notions of perfection etc. But you probably know this, a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush, instead of living in the what could have been, what if, why don't you invest your time and energy in making the best out of what you have and where you are? I truly believe if you do, you will find gems of beauty and perfection around you.

Old 05-30-2023, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Kingson pal, I know you wrote up this post kinda tongue in cheek.
Based on the fact that he's done it before, I don't think it is tongue in cheek.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:49 AM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Yah seriously I’ve never really gone for a ride anywhere that I truly thought sucked. It’s still a bike ride!
Yep..regardless of where you pedal the pavement, the best riding is when you start by appreciating the fact that you’re able to ride a bike in the first place, take in the sights, smells and surroundings, make it back in one piece to tell some tall tales and reset your mind and body, so that you can rinse, lather and repeat.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Yup, unfortunately the riding in Colorado and Boulder in particular sucks big time despite what some folks might claim. Skiing in Colorado is overrated as well. As is hiking, backpacking, white water rafting, kayaking, fishing, hunting, etc, etc. To make matters worse Boulder has over 100,000 residents and only one Dunkin Donuts. Move back to New England while you're still able and tell your friends to avoid this state like the plague.
Thought that one closed? Ahh, next to tacoBell. No Krispi Creme tho..
I like that idea...
Quote:
Based on the fact that he's done it before, I don't think it is tongue in cheek.
Agree but he doesn't like Colorado/Boulder? Fine and dandy, stay away...thanks.

BTW-had Bolder Boulder just this last Monday...
Quote:
Race director Cliff Bosley reported as of Sunday morning, the Bolder Boulder had surpassed 38,000 registrations,
But, yup, Boulder sucks, stay away....

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 05-31-2023 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
Yep..regardless of where you pedal the pavement, the best riding is when you start by appreciating the fact that you’re able to ride a bike in the first place, take in the sights, smells and surroundings, make it back in one piece to tell some tall tales and reset your mind and body, so that you can rinse, lather and repeat.
Yah.. perspective. Rode to work yesterday. It is NOT an epic ride.

But it was still a massive grin, today I took the car and it took longer than riding. And people wonder why I'm skeptical of "fun" cars these days. The more "fun" the car is the more agonizing it is to know you're going slower than a bicycle, especially comparing commuting in street clothes with fat tires & a backpack and flat pedals.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:38 AM

I spent 21 years of my life growing up in Connecticut and get back to NE every once in a while. Yeah I liked riding up there but I like it better here in Virginia. Miles and miles of pavement with very little traffic here in the mountains of Virginia.

Have look through the 'post pics of your ride' thread and open up your horizons as to where in this world is beautiful to ride, lots of places, many which I will never get to experience except through others here.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:53 AM

Man, so this thread is funny, its making me want to ride in Colorado and New England, I've been to both places but never ridden a bike in either one. I can see the appeal of NE though, I'm just not wild about cold weather, and riding in cold weather bugs me even more since it requires a lengthy dressing process and a lot of laundry afterwards. Summertime seems nice though.

One of the things I've found about riding in new areas is that there's a distinctly parabolic curve to my enjoyment as time goes on. At first, I have no idea where I'm going and I tend to end up on stroads and other bad places to ride, but as I learn good routes my enjoyment increases, and then I get a little bored with the roads in a ~30 mile radius and I lack the desire to drive or ride farther out. So if there's no nostalgia and pleasant memories related to the familiar roads, I can see just being annoyed with a place as you get to the downslope of the enjoyment curve.

I'm kinda there with WNC right now--the riding (both road, gravel and MTB) is objectively amazing, but I'm just a little tired of my current routes and the non-riding aspects of living here drive me bananas.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:59 AM

The cold weather thing is highly highly relative to how thick your skin is.

If you're a lifelong southerner you'd have to realize you just get used to it. Most of us up here ride in weather you might think is "horrible" but we don't even think about it and we're having a grand old time.

Even riding in the snow can be a heck of a good time.

I need/like the variety. If things are too static it gets boring. But then I have pretty much always lived in the northeast.

The places I've traveled to but NOT rode a bicycle (only driven the car or motorcycled) that I would most want to get back to would be the smoky mountains in rural TN and NC. We have family in NC right off the parkway. When my wife's grandparents were alive we'd travel down there and I'd be stuck visiting with a bunch of nice people and would be going out of my mind wanting to go for a ride. Insanely beautiful, people were generally super nice, there weren't that many people anyway, very little cars, lots of climbing. I did get to motorcycle a heck of a lot down there one trip though.

I rode around Nova Scotia once on a week road trip and also some places around the Bay of Fundy.. also another place that would be super cool to get back to and I highly recommend it. I didn't get to the Cabot trail and that is on my bucket list of roads to ride. Not for people afraid of cold weather though. I was in NS the the first week of June and there was snow when I rode in the Bay of Fundy so I needed my winter clothes. And that was very far south of the Cabot Trail.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
The cold weather thing is highly highly relative to how thick your skin is.
And the particular season. Granted, I'm in NJ, so not NE really, but this winter was the mildest one I can remember. Didnt use my snowblower once and was able to train (running...) outside all season as the temps stayed mild for the most part. Interesting times.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post

I'm kinda there with WNC right now--the riding (both road, gravel and MTB) is objectively amazing, but I'm just a little tired of my current routes and the non-riding aspects of living here drive me bananas.
I was just down in Boone for my nieces graduation and while it was definitely a bit busy there it looked like a paradise to ride a bike through pavement and trails.

I've only ever done races in that area. Used to be one called The French Broad and some others I cannot remember now. It's a lot like Virginia but the mountains are a bit bigger.