Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
bikinGREEN cankset just arrived. I'm not impressed. Finish work is not very good, some gaps between rings and arm beds. Granted, the price for the while crankset is basically the same as for just the 46/30 ring combo, but still. May just return it.

Their big secret is that they have figured out a way to make a 30 tooth 110bcd ring. Maybe everyone else already knew that, but it was news to me.

If they just sold that ring separately life would be easier. Does anyone else make a 110bcd 30tooth ring?
When I had the chainrings it was pretty clear that you needed the pair for them to work correctly. The bolts are designed specifically for the combo and the chainline of the big ring was shifted in. Even if you got a 30t ring to bolt in with a regular 46t big ring the shifting would be horrible with the huge gap between rings
Old 05-11-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
bikinGREEN cankset just arrived. I'm not impressed. Finish work is not very good, some gaps between rings and arm beds. Granted, the price for the while crankset is basically the same as for just the 46/30 ring combo, but still. May just return it.

Their big secret is that they have figured out a way to make a 30 tooth 110bcd ring. Maybe everyone else already knew that, but it was news to me.

If they just sold that ring separately life would be easier. Does anyone else make a 110bcd 30tooth ring?
Outside of bikingreen's 30T ring, I believe the answer is no. The smallest ring you could fit on a 110bcd is 33t and the only maker of that is TA and available in silver or black:

https://specialites-ta.com/double/12...denture,33-dts

Actually, if you don't mind an "oval" ring, it appears TA also sells a 32t for 110bcd:

https://specialites-ta.com/double/30...denture,32-dts

Good Luck!

Good Luck!
Old 05-11-2022, 07:36 PM

Absolute Black makes 46/30 oval for 110 bcd.

SPP
Old 05-11-2022, 09:13 PM

Aha.
Seems to me somebody makes a set of doodads that fit over/into the outer ring beds of a standard 110/74 bcd crankset that allows you to mount a 46 on the middle ring beds using standard bolts and a 30 (or other size) granny on the inner ring beds. Resulting in a 46/30 that’s somewhat shifted inward but that works if the BB and FD is set up like a triple.

Please note that I’m friction shifting the front derailleur and have a lot of experience setting up triples and oddball ring combinations, which does make this somewhat easier.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Aha.
Seems to me somebody makes a set of doodads that fit over/into the outer ring beds of a standard 110/74 bcd crankset that allows you to mount a 46 on the middle ring beds using standard bolts and a 30 (or other size) granny on the inner ring beds. Resulting in a 46/30 that’s somewhat shifted inward but that works if the BB and FD is set up like a triple.

Please note that I’m friction shifting the front derailleur and have a lot of experience setting up triples and oddball ring combinations, which does make this somewhat easier.
If you are talking about setting a 110/74 triple up as a double, You can simply mount a 46 middle in the middle position. I've had a setup like this for years; currently on a commuter bike. It may have required shorter than standard chainring bolts but works fine without additional attachment. Is important to use a middle and not an outer ring for the recessed bolt holes.

Aside from the hack aesthetic, a downside is the higher Q of these setups, if you are sensitive to that.

Last edited by marciero; 05-12-2022 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
If you are talking about setting a 110/74 triple up as a double, You can simply mount a 46 middle in the middle position. I've had a setup like this for years; currently on a commuter bike. It may have required shorter than standard chainring bolts but works fine without additional attachment. Is important to use a middle and not an outer ring for the recessed bolt holes.

Aside from the hack aesthetic, a downside is the higher Q of these setups, if you are sensitive to that.
The other difference is the lack of an anti-jam pin. But without an outer chainring, there probably isn't much chance of the chain getting jammed between the crank arm and the chainring.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:38 AM

I got the GRX crankset and installed it on my Mercian.
Installation was straight forward, remove the 105 crankset and slide in the GRX. Except I was in a hurry and did not notice the bearing dust cap came off with the 105 crank so I was left with a gap when I installed the GRX crank. Took me a while to figure it out but got it sorted. My SRAM FD had plenty of outboard adjustment to accommodate the extra 2.5mm of chainline and the shifting is good. I don't really notice the outboard chainline being a problem. I try to not ride in the top two cassette cogs when I am in the big chainring but it seems I can use them if I wanted. Stating the obvious my lowest gear is really low and I can stay in the big chainring more of the time. I went for a flattish 17 mile ride with my wife yesterday and it worked fine. I never needed to use the 46x11 but never got over 20 mph. The real test will be to climb some 20%+ walls which probably won't be until I get back from vacation in a few weeks.
The extra Q-factor was a bit noticeable. I have an extra long spindle on my right pedal and can probably back it off now. The look does not fit the bike. If the gearing works out I may change it out for a Dixna or Sugino when my new Mercian comes later this year. Another thought is to strip the black anodizing and polish it. I am really a fan of the Hollowtech system, it is so easy to service and the best for me. I am really surprised that there are not more 46/30 road specific cranksets out there, I think it makes more sense than 50/34 for many cyclists.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:37 AM

Reviving this thread to let people know I purchased the IRD Vortex crank set based on info from IRD that it had a 45 mm chain line. I installed it per the instructions on my 68 mm BSA BB and it's actually a 47.5 mm chain line. Furthermore the pedals are offset and not centered - the non drive side being further outboard. Adjusting the provided spacers so that the pedals are properly centered would lead to a 50 mm chain line. I think this should really be for 73 mm BSA bottom brackets only...

Hope that info helps someone in the future not make a $200 mistake like I did. Seems like a nice piece of kit otherwise...
Old 06-01-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
Reviving this thread to let people know I purchased the IRD Vortex crank set based on info from IRD that it had a 45 mm chain line. I installed it per the instructions on my 68 mm BSA BB and it's actually a 47.5 mm chain line. Furthermore the pedals are offset and not centered - the non drive side being further outboard. Adjusting the provided spacers so that the pedals are properly centered would lead to a 50 mm chain line. I think this should really be for 73 mm BSA bottom brackets only...

Hope that info helps someone in the future not make a $200 mistake like I did. Seems like a nice piece of kit otherwise...
The specs. for the Vortex cranks on the IRD web page say that it fits 73mm or 68mm BBs (using spacers), and that it has a 158mm Q factor. So it is no surprise that it has a wide chainline. IRD has another sub-compact crank called the Lobo, and this also fits 73mm BBs and has a wide Q factor and wide chainine.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
+1 for Sugino OX 901d (11 speed) They're very pretty, and shift flawlessly (which can be an issue with a big spread between large/small chainrings, not all rings are machined equally, you pay for what you get in my experience). They're expensive though, direct from Sugino is about the only source, though they ship fast from Japan, less than a week for me.
I've recently had good luck getting the Sugino OX through Amazon (sounds stupid, I know). It seems to put an order directly to Sugino through Amazon's Japan branch. You can select any combination crank arm length and chainring size you want, which leads me to believe they are being produced/assembled as orders come in. The first set I ordered took about 6 weeks to arrive - a 165mm with 46/30. Put it on my father-in-law's Peugeot and it shifts beautifully. Waiting on a second set for myself now.

As an aside - the Sugino 24mm BSA bottom bracket was also fantastic, and looks great alongside the cranks.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlyPuncheur View Post
I've recently had good luck getting the Sugino OX through Amazon (sounds stupid, I know). It seems to put an order directly to Sugino through Amazon's Japan branch. You can select any combination crank arm length and chainring size you want, which leads me to believe they are being produced/assembled as orders come in. The first set I ordered took about 6 weeks to arrive - a 165mm with 46/30. Put it on my father-in-law's Peugeot and it shifts beautifully. Waiting on a second set for myself now.

As an aside - the Sugino 24mm BSA bottom bracket was also fantastic, and looks great alongside the cranks.
Could you provide a link? My attempt to find this on Amazon was unsuccessful. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2023, 11:08 AM
Go Sox!

Sub compacts that are 12 speed campy compatible, whatcha all got?

Last edited by Alexi; 06-01-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Since this thread has been resurrected I thought I’d chime in with my experience in using the bikinGREEN crankset. Mine is 170 mm, 46/30. Weight w/o BB is under 600 gms. Currently being used in an otherwise Shimano 9 spd drivetrain with bar ends, by a ~ 155 lb. rider.

Probably 300-400 miles of mixed on- and off-road use so far, so no thoughts whatsoever on long-term durability.

At any rate, it shifts both up and down very well (with an old ‘found it at the bottom of the drawer’ FSA compact crank FD). Chainrings arrived nice and true and remain so in use. No chainring bolt loosening or other issues.

I’d certainly buy it again.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:06 PM

All in on sub-compact:
White Industry VBC square taper (46/28) - narrower q vs other WI cranks, shifting not perfect but probably due to 18t difference in rings, otherwise works great with a lot of flexibility on chainrings (have a 40/24 combo I used for Mt Washington).
Rotor Aldhu 46/30 24 mm axle - stiff, light, looks more ‘modern’ than WI and shifts better
FSA Energy Modular Crankset 46/30 - cheapest, shifts well and easy install

My preference is WI on steel/Ti bikes but all are good (on my 11 speed set-ups)
Old 06-01-2023, 09:51 PM

I agree that the bikingreen 110 BCD 30/46 is a great deal. I have it in an old Sugino mighty, Shimano silver FC4550 and an IRD.