Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2020, 09:21 PM

Gotta say I got a little bit of the shoe bug after losing a ton of weight - found Floresheim 3x (several styles of oxford and a loafer) are absolutely perfect fit - was thrilled to be able to wear a dressy shoe for once in my life!
Old 10-02-2020, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
This is clearly an east coast thread.

Here all you need is olukai, allbirds and that one pair of bruno/ferragamo/tod's when the suit comes out.
In the northeast it's Birkenstocks. Or at least it used to be. A friend used to wear them for comfort and because of a foot issue. I think he switched to something else.

I'm fine with a couple of pairs of Reefs, a pair of trail runners (usually Salomon), and a few odd shoes/boots for hiking.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:46 AM

For those that want a rubber sole with the feel of leather, there is always the option to "toppy" the shoe.

Its basically just a thin, rubber layer applied directly to the dole. If done properly. They grind just a bit of the dole off to keep the same height snd profile. Rubber protection. Leather feel, minimal weight gain.

This was accidentally done to a pair of my shoes when a cobbler did not understand all I wanted was toe taps put on.
Unfortunately, they do change the sound of the shoe when you walk. I like the crisp sound of a leather dhow on marble floors.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:24 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
...like others, i'm grounded for a long while. i havent put anything on my feet other than birkenstocks, reef sandals or cycling shoes in over 7 months.
+1

My feet have never been happier....

I used to do the "expensive" shoe thing....had a closet full of Allen Edmond, E.T. Wright, and others....leather shoes, etc. Got tired of resoling every year (NW Fall, Winter, Spring are brutal on leather soles).

Luckily, my industry moved from suits to business casual about 15-20 yrs ago...started wearing Ecco shoes (rubber soles)...much less expensive and lasted longer in the wet weather.

I'll be WFH for the next 6+ months and hope to continue this at least part time in foreseeable future.

Cheers.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:27 AM

I wear leather shoes just 'cause I like them.

More photos are required in this thread!

My favourite pair of Alden's, the D9613, exclusive to the Madison Ave store but now discontinued. Color 8 Cordovan. Incredibly comfortable and very light. I actually sold my Color 8 975 Long Wing Blutcher's because they were simply too heavy versus these. I'd always grab these over the LWB's.

Also, my favourite pair of casual leather shoes. Yuketen Angler Moc's in a Horween nubuck. The sole on this is really stellar. A traditional Italian rubber compound with deep, deep lugs. They were perfect for NYC winter... not so much for Los Angeles! Once there's some snow in the mountains I will make a conscious effort to take them for a spin.

Damn. I have a thing for moccasin construction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56BF2980-933B-4174-8CB9-7E8158364093.jpg (151.8 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0589.jpg (112.0 KB, 225 views)
Old 10-02-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
More photos are required in this thread!

Okay, the ones in bold are shown below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
My current collection of dress (and casual) shoes:
  • Alden (for Brooks Brothers) Straight Tip Blucher - 971 Black Calfskin
  • Alden (for Brooks Brothers) Straight Tip Blucher - 972 Walnut Calfskin
  • Alden (for Brooks Brothers) Penny Loafer - 9695 Black Soft Calf
  • Alden (for Brooks Brothers) Penny Loafer - 9697 Dark Brown Suede
  • Allen Edmonds Wilbert - Brown
  • Carmina 531 Derby - Brown Repello Suede
  • Meermin Split Toe Blucher 101601 - Snuff Superbuck (MTO - due end of October)
Old 10-04-2020, 11:37 PM
Big Bike Love

A couple of current favorites- vintage Florsheim Imperial shell cordovan long wing tips and Bontoni loafers...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shoe1.jpg (148.9 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg shoe2.jpg (146.4 KB, 192 views)
Old 10-04-2020, 11:54 PM

@NYCFixie - love the low-ish vamp on the BB’s. Great for showing a fun coloured sock.

Need to add some Alden LHS Loafers to my repertoire.

Last edited by jkbrwn; 10-05-2020 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:07 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

It's interesting how some things can interest someone and others not.

I think boots are cool, and have a few more than I really need. I think watches are cool and have way more than I need. (I won't even bother going into bikes.)

But shoes? They aren't that big a deal for me. My only splurge on those is that I tend to buy Rancourt shoes, but primarily because I like the idea of supporting American jobs, especially those in Maine, where my sister lives.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post

I think boots are cool, and have a few more than I really need. I think watches are cool and have way more than I need. (I won't even bother going into bikes.)

But shoes? They aren't that big a deal for me. My only splurge on those is that I tend to buy Rancourt shoes, but primarily because I like the idea of supporting American jobs, especially those in Maine, where my sister lives.
Totally. I was like that with watches till I realised I can only wear one at a time, so I sold them all. I now only have a Casio Worldtimer and the watch I was given for my 18th birthday.

Shoes on the other hand.... I’ve always loved. Like watches, made by hand by an artisan, they have a back story, they last and are repairable and are infinitely more useful than something like a watch in the grand scheme of things.

I’ve really missed not wearing shoes for the last 8 months...!
Old 10-05-2020, 07:36 AM

Black shell alden long wingtip AKA gunboats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shoes.jpg (146.4 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by pdonk; 10-05-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:34 AM

Had my 2009 Red Wing 3141 Chukkas resoled for the second time in their life, they just get better with age.

Snagged a pair of black Grenson Curt Derbys for winter, first 'proper' shoes in years. Looking forward to breaking them in, the lugged sole will come in useful I think.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:53 AM

i have two pairs of dress shoes, five pairs of cowboy boots and more athletic and hiking shoes then I can count.

Since the beginning of the Pandemic, I have conducted all arbitration conferences and hearings remotely. As a result, the attorney dress code has devolved to nonexistent. I think this is a good thing and see no change in the forseeable future.

As a result, my "professional" shoes, when I wear them, are Tevas and Clarke Desert Boots.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Totally. I was like that with watches till I realised I can only wear one at a time, so I sold them all. I now only have a Casio Worldtimer and the watch I was given for my 18th birthday.

I’ve really missed not wearing shoes for the last 8 months...!
About 15 years ago I started to build a watch collection, all Seikos. I had dabbled with a vintage Breitling Navitimer, but gave it up after forgetting to wind it.

I ended up with three Seiko Sumos and a dozen other lesser Seikos, then 5 years ago I started running, bought a Garmin and haven't worn another watch since. I think I'm on my fourth Garmin now, a Fenix 5. I still have one of the Sumos and have been slowly selling off the others.

With regard to shoes...I mostly work at home (and have done so for ten years) and love being barefoot. If I never wore anything but running shoes or cycling shoes again, that would be fine with me.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-05-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post

I care about everything I buy. Shoes, watches, bikes, cars, clothes, furniture, kitchen items and so on.

I buy things I really like and keep them for a long time. Less expensive in the long run.

Jeff