Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2023, 09:00 PM

Bike Pump Recommendations?

I really need a new pump... I've been running tubeless on my gravel bike now for a bit and the joe blow sport I have is a bit finnicky to get them seated. I mean it's a great workout and all but I've had that pump since 2007 or so and I feel pretty okay retiring it.

Should I be looking at dual stage pumps that do high pressure and high volume or should I be looking at pumps that have the built in tank?

I've also thought about picking up a small compressor. Harbor freight etc have the low noise compressors in the 1-2 gallon size that should be pretty much perfect for this use but it seems a bit ridiculous to get those for something I'd do so infrequently... and I do need a new pump!

We get some money through work for bike maintenance etc. I'm hoping to pick up a pump and some tubeless tires for my roadbike. I'd given up on riding the roadie outside instead riding the gravel bike instead for a cushier ride... but figure riding the widest tubeless tires I can fit might be worth a shot first before giving up entirely!

Thanks for any and all help!
Old 06-02-2023, 12:49 AM

a compressor will work best. but something like this will work https://www.jensonusa.com/Foundation...ess-Floor-Pump

I think the key to tubeless tires is wider is better. but the question is what can your bike take?
Old 06-02-2023, 09:31 AM
Back At It!

I recently watched a video with David Arthur where he used the Topeak pump with the extra chamber to seat both hooked and hookless tires and it seemed to work pretty well.. that will probably be the way the go, a pump with the extra chamber..
Old 06-02-2023, 09:45 AM

Years ago I bought a little pancake compressor from Northern Tool and it has been surprisingly useful in general. I have no regrets on buying it, especially when I need to seat a finnicky TL tire.

Plus it's good for airing up the car tires at home, blowing water off freshly washed bikes/drivetrains, etc.

For floor pumps, I have a Lezyne Sport Floordrive and it's OK.
The gauge seems "sticky" and not super accurate from pump to pump.
The screw-on head was annoying so I replaced it with a click-on from Amazon that has been delightful to use. Really.

For setting up TL, it works fine when the wheel/tire combo is playing nicely. Anything that's letting lots of air out already and I go to the compressor for a quick shot and done.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:48 AM

I have a Lezyne floor pump with a Topeak smart head.
It works well but mostly I use my Porter Cable 3.5G compressor with a digital gauge and Jaco presta head. It just seems easier and is more accurate.
I use latex tubes so they need air on every ride.
Compressor is also handy for nail gun, filling car tires, blowing stuff off with a nozzle.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:11 AM

I have a compressor but I'd never buy a bike specific compressor or a particularly small one or one of the manual pump up "charge cylinders" that the bike companies are selling. Most of the bike compressors are more expensive than a 6-gallon pancake compressor from the modest name brands, and you will need that size for the biggest MTB tires anyway.

You basically want a shop compressor if you're going that route AND a nice bike pump cause you're not going to take the compressor out on the road unless you're in full on bike-van-life.

Budget for the tools/accessories too, you're always going to need more of those than you think, but again they aren't that expensive when you're not buying bike-marketed stuff.

If you want to inflate presta valves with a compressor you'll need to get one of the bike specific products. I have the Arundel one, bike-marketed so of course it was by far the most expensive accessory I have. It works but the pressure gauge is not accurate enough. I basically only use it for in-garage tire changes. It's never worth firing up the compressor to use it just to top off a tire. I will be off riding having used the floor pump long before the compressor fills since I always drain it (which is what the safety docs will tell you to do).

For manual pumps the availability of rebuild kits for all the wear parts is the key.. probably very hard to beat Silca for that aspect if you want a forever pump. The other brands will occasionally make super nice pumps, the question is when they do need a rebuild will the manufacturer have already moved onto something new and now you can't get the rebuild kit.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:12 AM

I'd get the best pump for your everyday usage and pair it with a separate tank or compressor.

Personally I'm a big fan of Topeak's JoeBlow Pro Digital floor pump. The gauge is accurate for both MTB and road pressures and it has a bleeder valve so you can easily dial in the exact pressure. I live the apartment life so I have an generic air tank for seating tires.
Old 06-02-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalattorney View Post
I'd get the best pump for your everyday usage and pair it with a separate tank or compressor.

Personally I'm a big fan of Topeak's JoeBlow Pro Digital floor pump. The gauge is accurate for both MTB and road pressures and it has a bleeder valve so you can easily dial in the exact pressure. I live the apartment life so I have an generic air tank for seating tires.
I'm also in an apartment so that's a consideration ie can't really have a loud compressor. I mean I guess I could but like....

So you think the play is to just get a good regular pump and a separate tank for tubeless tires? Like one of the bike tanks?
Old 06-02-2023, 01:18 PM

I have a pancake compressor but never used it for bikes. For those who do what tip/tool are you using for presta valves?
Old 06-02-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I have a pancake compressor but never used it for bikes. For those who do what tip/tool are you using for presta valves?
I'm using something just like this, I think from Harbor Freight. It will slip over the presta valve core for a first try. But usually I end up removing the core and just using my fingers to hold it aligned to the valve stem.

Old 06-02-2023, 02:48 PM

This is the one I have:

https://www.arundelbike.com/product/shop-inflator/

I could have sworn it was a LOT less expensive than that last year. IIRC it was in stock at the LBS and was more like $50-60. It's very very nice but like everything else the gauge isn't super accurate. My schrader inflator for the cars is also not that accurate.

The only bike thing I really use it for is tubeless tires, and I don't use the Presta inflator, I use just an open "cone tip" and put it into the valve with the core removed. I paid about $20 for a giant set of various compressor tips/accessories at HD and it was in there. Takes about 1 second to lock a 29x2.3" tire onto the rim. 5-10 seconds for a fat bike tire, but my fat bike rims are so flat they don't seem to help. I do use the Arundel to inflate tires when I change them, it saves a lot of time for that. It's just not worth firing up the compressor to just top off a tire.

Last edited by benb; 06-02-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:06 PM

Thanks to both of you. So when you use a compressor to pop and set tubeless MTB tires do you take the valve stem out to do that anyway?

Sorry OP didn't mean to hijack the thread
Old 06-02-2023, 08:33 PM

I have the Bontrager Flash Charger pump https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-pump/p/11881/

It works really well to seat tubeless tires. Never had a problem. That said, as a daily pump to top off your tires, it is a pain as you have to fill the tank before your tires get air. So I use my regular floor pumps.

So moral of the story is - you might be better off just getting one of those air canisters instead of dedicated pump with a tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Airshot-1-15L...92484145&psc=1
Old 06-02-2023, 09:12 PM
n - 1

Few years ago, I might have suggested those canister pumps. But the tubeless tech now has pretty tight tolerances, I’m always able to seat tubeless tires with a simple floor pump. Taking out the valve and spraying soapy water helps.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
I have the Bontrager Flash Charger pump https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-pump/p/11881/

It works really well to seat tubeless tires. Never had a problem. That said, as a daily pump to top off your tires, it is a pain as you have to fill the tank before your tires get air. So I use my regular floor pumps.

So moral of the story is - you might be better off just getting one of those air canisters instead of dedicated pump with a tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Airshot-1-15L...92484145&psc=1
So I did some research based on your rec and just bought the new version of the tlr flash charger floor pump.

Got my tire seated on the second try but only because I didn't pressurize the tank enough the first time. Super super stoked on it. I can't believe how much time I've wasted trying to seat tires with my floor pump. So much needless frustration!