Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2023, 01:28 PM

Bad Ride Milestones for June 2nd

Average Temp for my ride today 94 degrees, Max 100.4, maybe the weather wouldn't say so, but my Garmin's thermometer recorded that.

Kind of ridiculous for June here I guess. Estimated 1027ml fluid loss for one hour. Didn't weigh myself but that's a kilogram, I have not thought about that like that in the past. No wonder a 100+ mile ride feels so rough in 90 degree weather, in retrospect I'd be 50% off on the # of bottles on a long ride.

All in all not that bad, I took my MTB, rode to the trails, and stayed mostly in the shade. But lots of slow climbing, so it certainly did feel hot.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:33 PM
Administrator

I dont use a garmin anymore, but remember when I did the recorded temp was always way higher than reality. I dont think those can be trusted to record accurate temps.

That said: yea, it's hot out there today. I was planning on a run after work, but I'm skipping that. Here in NYC land the AQI is really bad the last couple days too, so I'm limiting my outdoor exertion levels.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:49 PM

When I lived in NE Texas, I preferred riding in the late afternoon instead of the early morning. It was hotter but less humid. My Garmin would show higher than ambient temperatures because of the black asphalt. Made me feel tougher. In AZ, when I would ride in the summer, whether road or mtb, I rode at dawn to be home by 0830. The high UV hurt as much as the temperature.
Old 06-02-2023, 02:17 PM

It can actually be quite a bit hotter out on asphalt. I tend to trust a thermometer that is right where you're taking a reading versus one far away. I live a mile from an airport, the airport's temperature readings in the sun will always be quite high.

But in any case, very hot for the first week of June.

I didn't look at humidity but it seems like it wasn't that bad. I have a big climb on the way home and it felt pretty great going down it, nice cooling effect, which would not have been there if it was super humid.
Old 06-02-2023, 02:31 PM

I'm not saying it's 100% fabulous here, but when I commuted in this morning it was 52 degrees when I started at 7:30am. I'm expecting low 70's for the ride home at ~4:00pm.

(You're all welcome to laugh at me next winter when we're hitting our 50th day in a row with rain and no sun.)
Old 06-02-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I'm not saying it's 100% fabulous here, but when I commuted in this morning it was 52 degrees when I started at 7:30am. I'm expecting low 70's for the ride home at ~4:00pm.

(You're all welcome to laugh at me next winter when we're hitting our 50th day in a row with rain and no sun.)
Were you effected by the recent heat dome?
Old 06-02-2023, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Average Temp for my ride today 94 degrees, Max 100.4, maybe the weather wouldn't say so, but my Garmin's thermometer recorded that.

Kind of ridiculous for June here I guess. Estimated 1027ml fluid loss for one hour. Didn't weigh myself but that's a kilogram, I have not thought about that like that in the past. No wonder a 100+ mile ride feels so rough in 90 degree weather, in retrospect I'd be 50% off on the # of bottles on a long ride.

All in all not that bad, I took my MTB, rode to the trails, and stayed mostly in the shade. But lots of slow climbing, so it certainly did feel hot.
meh. Didn't you read that thread about how great the riding is everywhere in New England? Quite your whining and enjoy the nice sunny day. Be thankful you're not in Boulder or Colorado sucking donkey cojones.

Last edited by gdw; 06-02-2023 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-02-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Were you effected by the recent heat dome?
We had some warm temperatures a little while ago ("hot" for us, mid- to high-eighties), but I wouldn't say that they reached "heat dome" levels, which I think describes a particular effect that creates a long-lasting stagnant pocket of hot air. I'm sure at least one of them will come this summer.
Old 06-02-2023, 03:43 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
This is what I like when it's hot. Shady rides, slower, and I do still prefer climbing and descending to flat rides. MTB is ideal for this but road works too.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:06 PM

I got a 2:06 30 mile ride in today in Southern Ct.Hot here also!
Old 06-02-2023, 04:26 PM
Randomhead

I need to get in better shape so my asthma doesn't kill me on rides in hot weather. Not climbing over any mountains in the near future because I always have an bronchospasm on the third climb of the day if it's this warm.
I guess it's the trainer again today.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:14 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post

...or in our case here in Spokane..our 50th day in a row with sun and no rain.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:12 PM

My Garmin recorded 28 degrees on my morning ride today. I believe it, there was frost on the roofs I rode by.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:31 PM

double post