Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Thanks for that.

I can see if it had a gap but it didn't seem that way and the odd 4x4 does maybe indicate that. Either way the treads do look narrow in the pic and I'd have to loose that 4x4. Seems like it would have been easy enough to terminate the treads into the structure.
And attach a rail to the lap siding.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
And attach a rail to the lap siding.
Exactly
Old 09-28-2019, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
You hired a contractor that didn't completely savage your bung hole.
That's a win.
Put a chair on the deck and enjoy a beer.
This made me laugh, first time for an entire day haha
Old 09-28-2019, 07:09 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Thanks for that.

I can see if it had a gap but it didn't seem that way and the odd 4x4 does maybe indicate that. Either way the treads do look narrow in the pic and I'd have to loose that 4x4. Seems like it would have been easy enough to terminate the treads into the structure.
The awkward railing construction is due to the use of prefab railings. You can see the builder did not shorten the railing sections and that pushed the outside railing into the stairs narrowing the path width. The newl post part way down the stairs would not pass code anywhere. It was done because the prefab sections come in only one length. The use of prefab is also behind the poor placement of the railing against the wall side of the stairs. The prefab posts srcew into the surface they are resting on and do not continue into the structure below. Again why the placement is so awkward. Lazy or unskilled would be the culprit here. Poor application of the materials and poor choice of the same.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:32 PM

Obviously having the original contractor fix it is the superior option, but given that he's family that may not be possible. Sometimes these guys don't want to take these jobs on just because they're too busy with other projects or a fix-it situation is too small to them -- still not not excusable in my opinion but a reality. Would it be possible to get a quote from/have the work done by another contractor and then ask the original contractor to reimburse you the difference? Spending more money sucks, but maybe it could also give you a basis to go after him in court for the damages? I know cmg was being sarcastic, but easier than hiring an engineering company or anything like that. If the Contractor 2 sees that the work was obviously done in a ****ty way and fixes it that's good evidence in your favor. And you get your level deck too.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:51 AM

contractor finally came out, they ended up lopping 1.5" off the offending post -- that's a boat-load for such a small deck!

when they lowered the deck onto the trimmed post, water held from overnight rains started draining from the deck framing.

*now* i'll enjoy that on my deck!

before:

after:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200523_100637.jpg (101.6 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by wallymann; 05-23-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:13 PM

I realize this has been resolved but did anyone suggest getting a larger birdhouse to weigh down the offending corner? That’s what I would done.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:07 PM

Glad to hear. I was getting ready to put my tools in the car and come over.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:17 PM

Clap Clap Clap
Old 05-23-2020, 08:54 PM

Since the contractor was a relation and it sounded like there might be some familial friction in trying to get your deck repaired, was their any problem? Did you get any grief? Did they ask you to pay for the "repair"?

Thanks for the update, by the way.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:04 PM

no added cost to correct.

friction in the form of a general unwillingness to resolve immediately or own up to installation error.

water under the bridge, but no longer on our list of go-to contractors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Since the contractor was a relation and it sounded like there might be some familial friction in trying to get your deck repaired, was their any problem? Did you get any grief? Did they ask you to pay for the "repair"?

Thanks for the update, by the way.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:16 PM

There’s a guy who’s been working on my house for 14 years. He’s a hack electrician, lousy plumber, wood butcher of a carpenter, is terrible at finishing projects, leaves his tools all around the place, doesn’t sweep very well, and can’t read a tape measure. Jobsite safety is a concept completely lost on him, I’ve seen him climb ladders and scaffolds in flip-flops. He keeps insisting that projects don’t have to be done, just “done enough”. Not only that, he does a terrible job tuning my bikes, can’t edit my blog worth a damn, drinks all my beer, and sleeps with my wife.

I’d say you got off pretty easy with the fix on your deck.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:26 PM

I bet he's pretty cheap, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkalugi View Post
There’s a guy who’s been working on my house for 14 years. He’s a hack electrician, lousy plumber, wood butcher of a carpenter, is terrible at finishing projects, leaves his tools all around the place, doesn’t sweep very well, and can’t read a tape measure. Jobsite safety is a concept completely lost on him, I’ve seen him climb ladders and scaffolds in flip-flops. He keeps insisting that projects don’t have to be done, just “done enough”. Not only that, he does a terrible job tuning my bikes, can’t edit my blog worth a damn, drinks all my beer, and sleeps with my wife.

I’d say you got off pretty easy with the fix on your deck.