Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2019, 10:32 AM
hoolered

Shimano GRX

Anyone see the new shimano GRX group? Like many of their new groups I'll hate the way it looks until it eventually grows on me. Interesting that one of the groups is 10 speed but I think I'm for it; less accuracy required on hanger alignment, makes sense for rough use.

https://gravel.shimano.com/en/components/

https://bikerumor.com/2019/05/07/shi...speed-options/

Old 05-07-2019, 10:44 AM

Well done on getting this posted but very weird to see a BRAND new 10 speed group in the RX400 line.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:44 AM

They claim a lot of cross compatibility with existing road groups, but I'm curious if the 10 speed stuff is compatible with just the 4700 shift cable pull, or everything else in 10 speed road.

46-30t crank option is great.

Dropper post capability on the left levers when running 1x11 is also great.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:46 AM

It looks like there are 11 cogs in that cassette.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
It looks like there are 11 cogs in that cassette.
Did you click either of the links? There are new 10 and 11 speed groups.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:51 AM

Other than 46-30 crank set I don't see much here to get excited about. This looks more like a marketing exercise than a new group intro.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Did you click either of the links? There are new 10 and 11 speed groups.
No, I counted the cassette. Then I Google'd up "Shimano GRX" and the picture was the same.

Seeing how I can't be bothered with anything gravel and the last time I was on 10-speed was when 10-speed was the new 9-speed, 2x10 compatibility is irrelevant to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider
Other than 46-30 crank set I don't see much here to get excited about. This looks more like a marketing exercise than a new group intro.
This.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
And, as I predicted, not only new chainring BCDs, but also an increase in chainline & Q factor.

But wait - these new cranks and front derailleur have a maximum chainring differential of 17 teeth. Didn't SRAM assure that this was imposslble, which is why their new AXS drivetrain only has a maximum chainring differential of 13 teeth? (Or maybe SRAM still doesn't know how to get front derailleurs work well.)
Old 05-07-2019, 11:13 AM
mentholated

hydraulic crosstops are cool but id never use them.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
They claim a lot of cross compatibility with existing road groups, but I'm curious if the 10 speed stuff is compatible with just the 4700 shift cable pull, or everything else in 10 speed road.

46-30t crank option is great.

Dropper post capability on the left levers when running 1x11 is also great.
it claims compatibility with existing 10s road dual control levers. I'd probably be most interested in getting this clutch RD myself and use on my existing 10speed gear. Replacing my older Tiagra non clutch seems like a no brainer for off road. My chainstay will thank me hahaha
Old 05-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Vendor

The key things for me are the lower gearing options. Finally, there's something lower than a 50/34 and 11-34 that's available officially. Everything else is a distant second. For sure there are some things I don't like - wider Q factor especially, but those gearing options are enough for me to give some serious consideration.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:48 AM

I like the in-line brake levers. At least I like the idea -- I've never used them. Not so sure about the now effectively-longer brake lever bodies. Or the 30T minimum chainring. I'd like to see that down to 28 or 26T. But with their choice of a new bolt pattern, maybe that's all they can do. I only read the GravelCyclist article, but I didn't see which BB shell width this was designed to -- maybe they're achieving the +2.5mm chain line by going to a 73mm shell and a longer spindle on the cranks...
Old 05-07-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safepants View Post
it claims compatibility with existing 10s road dual control levers. I'd probably be most interested in getting this clutch RD myself and use on my existing 10speed gear. Replacing my older Tiagra non clutch seems like a no brainer for off road. My chainstay will thank me hahaha
Point is, there are two completely incompatible sets of "existing 10s road dual control levers" - 4700 and everything else 10 speed. These derailleurs can't work with both.

Last edited by jtbadge; 05-07-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:27 PM

Here is another overview:

https://bikepacking.com/news/shimano-grx/

I think it's pretty cool that Shimano went through the effort to make this, and it sounds like some of the innovations are for real.

I think the brake lever redesign is worth mentioning. The moved the pivot for the brake levers up by 18mm for better braking from the hoods and a more secure grip up there.

46-30 chainrings should be well received as well.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:39 PM

Yeah this is super cool. My Di2 Hylex hack job is past due for replacement.

I think the brake lever redesign is huge. more leverage from the hoods is big for riding single track on a drop bar bike. Very pumped about the cross top levers as well. Gonna need drop bars to go even wider now just like mtb.

Do you guys know if the increase in q factor is on both sides of the crank arm? ie did they push out the chainline/increase q so that there's more room for fat tires and short stays vs just making the crank arms thicker/wider?

My 2021 dream gravel bike getting closer to being a reality:

wide ass bars with cross top levers
50mm ocho fork
29x2 tire clearance
short chain stays
long reach frame
short stem

Like others wish they'd gone 12s with 11-46. Oh well. They've gotta leave some stuff on the roadmap for three years from now I guess.