Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 02:16 PM

stuff that you retrogrouched and now regret?

the progress train comes along more and more often now. we either hop on, begrudgingly go for a ride, or just stay behind on the platform. i've been known to stay behind a few times myself, but for some reason, paceliners seem to really like their old tech more than average.
every time shimano/campy releases a new hood shape, or electronic, or discs, or more cogs, or a new crank (ok, i'm with you this one), there's always a handful that take pride in 'stocking up' on the old version because 'there's nothing wrong with it' or they won't take on any anticipated tradeoffs. only to find that they're still sitting on 2 complete 7700 groups a decade later after having built up 2 frames with di2.

i didn't really get it, but then i look at the mint condition hardtail 26er i built up in the dying throes of that wheel size. i have a fs 29er that rides faster, more efficiently, and is loads funner and i can't believe i didn't at least try 29 before buying that 26 frame. that poor thing will be a neighborhood cruiser for its foreseeable lifetime as it has nearly no market appeal.

another for me that i got over pretty quickly is lugged steel frames. i know people still fawn over these, but i'm selfish and want to build them up with modern contact points. improvising lame solutions to get around 1" threaded steerers got real old real fast.

anything in your parts bin you don't know why you have anymore??
Old 09-20-2019, 04:26 PM

I bought an old road frame from 2012 that at the time would’ve been the top tier bike in their line. I had listed for on for years and found one nos and had to bite.

Unfortunately I haven’t ridden andhing narrower than 28mm tires since probably 2013 and didn’t even contemplate that they wouldn’t fit. First ride with a small dirt section and I tore all the paint off from the fork and the rear brake bridge. Bike got pulled apart and has been hanging on a hook since. 3 rides total. Sad.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:31 PM

I have some Mastik tubular glue still. Smells crazy as ever.
Effetto Mariposa tape works more than fine these days.

I also have a dozen+ sets of Compass/RH/GB tires... probably a grand worth (edit 24 tires x 80 is approaching $2,000. ). I am using maybe 4 sets, and the rest I just fondle on occasion...while trying to justify keeping them for maybe someday usage. This isn't retrogrouch really, it's straight up hoarding.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 09-20-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:41 PM

Sram 10 speed bits.........
Old 09-20-2019, 04:43 PM

Aero wheels. 29er wheels.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:23 PM

I think the newest road bike I have is the Helix I got from JeffN. Not sure of the year but probably late this decade. None of my road bikes will handle much more than a fat 25 on a wide rim or a 28 on a narrow. I've hung on to two bikes the longest, a Merckx MX Leader I got new in 99, and a Pegoretti BLE I got gently used in 2006. Both are great bikes, the BLE sees more action. I don't have any electronic but I've got newer Chorus/Record and an 8000 group on the Helix.

Probably the most up to date bike is the Coconino Dirt Road Racer with 8000 and 685 levers to 785 calipers. The stuff works great. My Coconino MTB is Boost with 1X11 XT and Hope/WTB handbuilts.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:35 PM
ferro verum est

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Sram 10 speed bits.........
I must say, if you can deal with the bad front shifting and loss of 1 cog, SRAM 10 still has a great cost/weight ratio. Force 10 is a pound lighter than R7000 and half a pound less than R8000.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:41 PM

Snip:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
another for me that i got over pretty quickly is lugged steel frames. i know people still fawn over these, but i'm selfish and want to build them up with modern contact points. improvising lame solutions to get around 1" threaded steerers got real old real fast.
Well shame on you. Nothing rides better than a lugged steel frame with modern parts. As for contact points, nothing prevents you from using whatever newfangled saddle and pedals you run. Soma Highway 1 is a great 26.0 modern shaped bar. If you want a 31.8, Nitto makes a great quill stem in 31.8 diameter (UI-12).
Old 09-20-2019, 05:47 PM

I love my 26in rigid and hardtails. They bring me lots of fun and are nice to look at.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
improvising lame solutions to get around 1" threaded steerers got real old real fast.
I'm confused, what's the issue you run into? Road bike geometry hasn't changed much in quite a few decades, I've been able to achieve functionally similar fit on my ancient steel road bikes as on new ones.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:36 PM
Randomhead

if your fit allows you to slam a quill adapter, it looks fine. If you need a lot of vertical under your stem, a quill adapter looks horrible. OTOH, there are nice quill stems and handlebars that fit them.

I have been fully assimilated into using modern parts on my steel frames for the most part. As far as regret goes, I would say I only regret holding off from using discs.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:04 PM

still have a NOS 1993 Mantis Profloater and nearly new Rockshox Judy XC with 1" steerer uncut that I think I will build up and ride one day.
Still use Time TVT pedals on my 2nd bike which means I have a second pair of shoes with the cleats to ride them. My Gravel bike has some of these on it. Plenty of other examples but my main ride is Etap 11S Carbon goodness. I swing both ways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scott-AT-4-Vintage-Handlebars-MTB-Mountain-Bike-Tri-_1.jpg (18.7 KB, 365 views)
Old 09-20-2019, 09:06 PM

Still loving my 26er Rigormootis. But then I've never swung a leg over a 29er either. And if I wanted to sell it I'd have to give it away.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:11 PM

After a limited poor experience with full suspension in the early 2000s, I didnt ride another FS until 2017. I was a full on rigid SS evangelist until a move to a place with real trails and my cranky knees forced a change.

Modern mtbs are effing amazing.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:56 PM

eTap.