Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2019, 10:05 AM

What about White Industries and their VBC rings? The square taper setup lets you play around with the spindle length and they offer a wide range of gearing choices. The crank arms come up pretty regularly for not a lot of money. You'd just have fork out the money to get the rings you want. Maybe their q is too wide...I've never been that sensitive to such things. I do like the set I have!
Old 10-09-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
What about White Industries and their VBC rings? The square taper setup lets you play around with the spindle length and they offer a wide range of gearing choices. The crank arms come up pretty regularly for not a lot of money. You'd just have fork out the money to get the rings you want. Maybe their q is too wide...I've never been that sensitive to such things. I do like the set I have!
Thanks!

That may be a good option, but i am not sure yet. i probably should call them and talk to them. The Q is low, but not as low as sram, 150mm at least with their posted bb size which i THINK is a 113. a 107 would get it where i want it, but i have not found chain-line figures or other clearance figures to work with. The cranks my need a little shaving in the middle, which i am ok doing, but it kills resale (where i know the sram force work at 145mm on this frame 100%)
If the White cranks work with a BB I have the cheapest i can get the cranks and chainrings is 190 for the cranks, and 174 for the chainrings. I have not seen them used, but i have only been watching for a several months. These chainrings are claimed to work best with 9 speed and under too, which is not a killer for me, but moves things around a little... https://store.oceanaircycles.com/col...s-vbc-crankset

If cost is the main objective, with the sram stuff one should be ready to go for far under that price, due to readily available used and NOS parts. Not if one is running the fancy spider and sugino chainrings i previously posted though.

I just found this... i need to finish reading it. https://www.peterverdone.com/spider-attack/

Existing sram mish mash seems like it may be the best wide range double option at this Q, per dollar.

I have some time to wait and hunt cranks and chainrings, as my list to complete this build is still long.

Thanks again!
Old 10-09-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
What drivetrain setup are you running with your VCB? thanks!
Old 10-10-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmokey View Post
What drivetrain setup are you running with your VCB? thanks!
Right now, Shimano 105/5700 with an 11/28. But I used to run an 11/36 mtb cassette and 9spd Xt/Deore derailleur with the same 5700 shifters. I was using some larger chainrings 50/34 I think and decided to go to smaller ones. I want to say they’re 48/32(edit:46/34) now, but I’ll have to look to confirm... I swapped around tire size, cassettes, and rings a few times before settling.

Last edited by dustyrider; 10-13-2019 at 06:40 PM.