Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 08:15 AM

Question Multitool for the road

Emphasis on "road", although I do have some new fangled disc brakes, which I'm not all that happy with.

I want the usual hex wrenches, from about 3-6mm (what is 8 used for?). Not sure about torx. A Phillips screwdriver would be nice, but a so-called combo screwdriver will probably do in a pinch, unless y'all have experience to the contrary.

Anywho, I'm looking at a Park MTC-25, but also other Parks and the 9 piece Silca.

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:19 AM

Lezyne seems to have every possible combination and size of tool. Wolftooth makes some super interesting stuff but some might be overkill.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:26 AM

I like the Topeak Hexus: https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...-hexus%C2%AE-x

A big plus for me of the Hexus is the chain tool. I don't use it often, but when you need it, it can really save the day.

Chris
Old 08-03-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
I want the usual hex wrenches, from about 3-6mm (what is 8 used for?). Not sure about torx..
8mm hex is for pedals. Never needed that outside my garage though.
You might not need the Torx if you're not running Campagnolo, but their gruppos have a few bolts on the brakes and not sure where else that are T25.

I went with the Crank Bros M17 for my road multitool since it has a chain breaker, which is something I have needed precisely once. That plus a set of the Wolf Tooth masterlink pliers with a couple quick-links stashed in the handles, and a couple of Park Tool tire levers covers my road tools. It all fits [snugly] with a couple tubes and a patch kit into an Arundel Dual.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:06 AM

slime multi tool

this one is pretty handy for on the bike use
Old 08-03-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
8mm hex is for pedals. Never needed that outside my garage though.
You might not need the Torx if you're not running Campagnolo, but their gruppos have a few bolts on the brakes and not sure where else that are T25.

I went with the Crank Bros M17 for my road multitool since it has a chain breaker, which is something I have needed precisely once.
I'm running Shimano.

Do the chain tools in any of these multitools actually work without a lot of foul language and frustration? BITD I used to carry a real chain tool (I still do), but maybe things have changed for the better.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I'm running Shimano.

Do the chain tools in any of these multitools actually work without a lot of foul language and frustration? BITD I used to carry a real chain tool (I still do), but maybe things have changed for the better.
The Topeak one does work well. I haven't had great luck with the Crank Brothers chain tool, but that could be user error on my part.

Having a stand alone chain tool is nicer though. If you already have one, I'd lean towards a smaller multi tool.

Chris
Old 08-03-2020, 09:47 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Big thread here:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=248465

My recommendation:
https://fabric.cc/products/tools/16-in-1-multi-tool/
Old 08-03-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Do the chain tools in any of these multitools actually work without a lot of foul language and frustration?
Well in my case the foul language and frustration were mostly due to needing to use the chain tool in the first place.
But yes, the Crank Bros one works fine as did the one on my old Topeak Alien that I keep on the MTB. They are certainly more fiddly than a proper workshop chain tool, but it's a sacrifice for portability, and they get the job done.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:03 AM
PezTech

THIS:

https://silca.cc/products/updated-t-...-ti-torque-kit

Old 08-03-2020, 11:56 AM

Fix it sticks are the nicest to use I think, but I have yet to use their chain tool.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:09 PM
Forward the Foundation

Another vote for Topeak chain tools, Hexus folding hex key style.
Working chain tool, w/chain hook.

For the lots bits to lose style, the Mineral Designs Mini Bar,
lots of magnets hold it together. A magnet for each bit.
The include a large selection on bits, more than fit the
holder.

None them come with a JIS screw driver bit.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:25 PM

i like the silca smallest italian army knife for the road. everything you need, nothing you dont.

i've had bad luck with the topeak tools rusting badly in short order, so i avoid those.

i also do not like the tools that come with small bits like the one shown above. i've lost just the one i needed when i dropped it in some gravel and spent too long looking for it. never again.

my philosophy is to keep my chain maintained, and not push it to the limit of wear and i dont think i'll ever really need a chain tool on the road, knock on wood!

Old 08-03-2020, 12:39 PM
That guy..

Lezyne CRV20.
I've had to use the saw too. Cool to have.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:47 PM

Y'all are great.

The Topeaks look good, and I know that an LBS carries them. Actually being allowed in the store is another matter these days, but better safe than sorry i that realm as well.

The CB M17 looks good. There are differing views on the utility of the chain tool, but that seems to be the case with most integrated chain tools. I'm not worried about a 50 or 100 grams - again, function over form (and mass) in this case.

Regarding corrosion of the CB or others - well, regardless of whether you're 5 or 50 miles from home function will trump form, and in those cases I'll take a tool that fixes the problem over one that looks good any day of the week.

Silca SAKs also look good, as do Lezyne, Topeak, and others, and could be paired with a real chain tool if I stay on that path. I dare say that I have too many choices!

kpploch - I have duly noted the other thread. Thanks.

Blackburn - I forgot they existed! That's what happens when you take a multi decade hiatus.

A real chain tool plus a minimal multitool may still be in the cards, but I surely appreciate all of the input.