Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2019, 07:44 AM

Boost adapter?

Has anyone used a rear wheel boost adapter like this one?https://problemsolversbike.com/artic...our-old-wheels

I'm getting a replacement frame under warranty and of course it's boost. So I have to get a new crankset and rear wheel. Just wondering if the adapter is worth it or should I just pony up and get a new rear wheel.

Thanks for the help
Old 11-08-2019, 07:48 AM

The manuf should give you everything you need to get back on the road, no?
Old 11-08-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
The manuf should give you everything you need to get back on the road, no?
Nope, at least Niner doesn't do it. I can see both sides. I wish they had some old stock laying around for warranty purpose but I can see how that would be hard to do. They did honor the warranty and they did it in a timely matter, so I'm just a little bit miffed.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:05 PM

I've been using adapters to run a non-Boost wheelset in a Boost frame and fork for 4 years now. It works fine but the chainline will be off since the cassette is 3 mm inboard of recommended. I haven't had any issues but it will wear out your drivetrain faster. It's also kind of a pain getting the spacers lined up on the axle when you put the wheel back on after a tire change. I cracked one of my rims so I'm using it as an excuse to finally get a Boost wheelset. If it weren't for that I'd still run the adapters.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12snap View Post
I've been using adapters to run a non-Boost wheelset in a Boost frame and fork for 4 years now. It works fine but the chainline will be off since the cassette is 3 mm inboard of recommended. I haven't had any issues but it will wear out your drivetrain faster. It's also kind of a pain getting the spacers lined up on the axle when you put the wheel back on after a tire change. I cracked one of my rims so I'm using it as an excuse to finally get a Boost wheelset. If it weren't for that I'd still run the adapters.
Thanks, yep the problems solver adapter use one 6mm shim and states you need to re-dish the wheel. I think I'm going to try one of the adaptors with two 3mm spacers and see how that goes. Thanks again
Old 11-09-2019, 07:07 AM
ergottWheels

If you can afford to, you should take the opportunity to upgrade to boost. This is one of the few new standards that makes the wheel stronger. The shell is wider improving the flange spacing.