Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2017, 02:16 PM

Way OT: a phone for a 9 year old

This morning we had a very scary medical emergency at my home. While I was dealing with it, I was also trying to tell my 9 year old how to get into my iPhone and dial 911. It was way too complicated in the moment.

Luckily, after 6 hours in the ER, everyone is fine.

But now I am wanting a phone for my 9 year old. Something that can just call me and 911, etc. We do not have a home phone - house line.

I'm sure there is a phone for this but I am looking for some feedback/advice.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:24 PM

New Nokia 3310 from Amazon or Best Buy. $60.

Or get acquainted with the emergency dial feature on iphones.

While you’re at it, check out https://www.waituntil8th.org/
Old 12-10-2017, 06:17 PM

jitterbug.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:25 PM

Any old cell phone will dial 911. If it says no service on it it still can work.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:41 PM
Administrator

i have zero experience with other phone platforms, but it doesnt get any easier than an iPhone.

from the lock screen, bottom left - emergency call - then deal 9-1-1

---

that said, the only way a child is going to know how to do this quickly in the face of high emotions and high stress is to practice.

it's the reason you run lifeboat drills on a boat, and the reason the NAVY runs flooding drills regularly.

in high stress/pressure situations - this is not the time to be seeing anything for the first time.

almost all cell phones now are pretty user friendly, especially for young kids. your child can become comfortable with any phone you buy, and should know how to use yours in an emergency, all it takes is some practice during a safe time in your life.

NOT a criticism of you. i know my 6 year old can pick up my iPhone and know more about it than i do somehow, but i dont know if he could call 911 if i needed him too. It's good food for thought, and i'm going to sit down with him and show him how to do it, that's the only way.

sorry to hear about your situation today, but it sounds like you got things under control - use this as a learning situation and move forward smartly.

to sum up - it's not about the phone, it's about the preparation, and my advice would be, even if you buy your kid a simple phone, make sure he/she knows how to use yours too in an emergency. we all know that nothing goes according to script when the pressure is on.

cheers!
Old 12-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Riding Along

This is some great advice. Really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i have zero experience with other phone platforms, but it doesnt get any easier than an iPhone.

---

that said, the only way a child is going to know how to do this quickly in the face of high emotions and high stress is to practice.

it's the reason you run lifeboat drills on a boat, and the reason the NAVY runs flooding drills regularly.

in high stress/pressure situations - this is not the time to be seeing anything for the first time.

almost all cell phones now are pretty user friendly, especially for young kids. your child can become comfortable with any phone you buy, and should know how to use yours in an emergency, all it takes is some practice during a safe time in your life.

NOT a criticism of you. i know my 6 year old can pick up my iPhone and know more about it than i do somehow, but i dont know if he could call 911 if i needed him too. It's good food for thought, and i'm going to sit down with him and show him how to do it, that's the only way.

sorry to hear about your situation today, but it sounds like you got things under control - use this as a learning situation and move forward smartly.

to sum up - it's not about the phone, it's about the preparation, and my advice would be, even if you buy your kid a simple phone, make sure he/she knows how to use yours too in an emergency. we all know that nothing goes according to script when the pressure is on.

cheers!
Old 12-11-2017, 07:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
This morning we had a very scary medical emergency at my home. While I was dealing with it, I was also trying to tell my 9 year old how to get into my iPhone and dial 911. It was way too complicated in the moment.

Luckily, after 6 hours in the ER, everyone is fine.

But now I am wanting a phone for my 9 year old. Something that can just call me and 911, etc. We do not have a home phone - house line.

I'm sure there is a phone for this but I am looking for some feedback/advice.

Thanks.
Good call....no pun intended..first, glad all is OK and this is something I'm going to ask son, father of a 4 and 6 year old..do they know what 911 is and how to dial it?..They are very familiar with iphone, ipads, tablets in general(freaky amount of knowledge too...)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:55 AM

[QUOTE=AngryScientist;2277145]i have zero experience with other phone platforms, but it doesnt get any easier than an iPhone.

---

This was confusing to me but then realized I don't use the lock screen feature.

Helpful in any case.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:10 AM

There are smart watches for Kids that only allow calls to numbers a parent programs (as well as emergency numbers).
Here's an example: https://gigaom.com/2013/07/01/meet-f...-to-call-home/
(I found this with google, it's an old posting, I just posted as an example of what to look for)
Old 12-11-2017, 10:29 AM

I think my 9 year old grandkids can operate anything. It just depends on what you want them to have, or what you want to spend.

It's a good time for you to upgrade, and pass a decent phone down.