Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2017, 11:10 PM

iPad Handlebar Mount for Trainer

Any recommendations for an iPad handlebar mount? My wife wants one to help make winter trainer miles go by faster. Thanks!

Greg
Old 12-09-2017, 11:41 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

I've seen alot of people use cheap music stands in front of their bikes on the trainer. Not sure there is such a thing for an ipad on a bike handlebar.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:43 PM

Minoura tablet grip

This thing is super solid, I use it with the new ipad when doing the zwift. Made in japan quality.

http://www.minoura.jp/english/traine...ion/tph-1.html
Old 12-10-2017, 12:27 AM
なんでやねん

My Tacx Vortex came with the Tacx tablet attachment, it works pretty well. I wish it adjusted down to phone size but I guess it isn't made for that.

https://tacx.com/product/bracket-for-tablets/
Old 12-10-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceolwulf View Post
My Tacx Vortex came with the Tacx tablet attachment, it works pretty well. I wish it adjusted down to phone size but I guess it isn't made for that.

https://tacx.com/product/bracket-for-tablets/
That's the mount my wife uses and she has no major complaints. The one thing that bugged her initially was that the screen moves when the bike moves which took a little getting used to but I don't think it's a big deal. It also won't work with a 12.9 inch ipad but works well with her 10.5 pro and should work great down to a mini.

We got hers through amazon.

EDIT - to clarify the tablet holder is solid. The holder doesn't move on the bars and the iPad is held firmly in the unit, it's the bike moving a little while on the trainer while pedaling she mentioned.

Last edited by commonguy001; 12-10-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:18 AM

I bought the wahoo trainer table - it’s expensive but very handy. I generally watch tv and have the iPad on the table with the remotes, my phone drinks etc. it’s hieght adjustable has a rubber top and has insert slots that hold phones and tablets upright. It also doubles as coat hanger in the summer.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:24 AM

+1 on the Tacx tablet holder. My wife swears by it. She has the iPad 2 whatever size that is. She hasn’t mentioned any bouncing around with it but she takes it out of its case to put it in the Tacx thing and tightens it up. I know that at some point she switched the grey pieces that lock on the bar too. I am more into leaving the iPad on the window sill and Apple TV streaming it to the TV on the wall.

Last edited by htwoopup; 12-10-2017 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-10-2017, 01:34 PM

I use one an iKlip Expand mounted on a mic stand. No hassle removing something from the bars when I want to take my bike on the road. I put it off to the side a bit and airplay to my AppleTV.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:46 PM

I have a brand new Tacx tablet holder I'll never use. PM me and we can work something out.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:35 PM

Hi Team, after a quick search came across this older thread. Curious if any new recommendations have bubbled to the top over the past few years.

I am looking for a handlebar or alternative ipad mount while on the trainer. TIA
Old 02-12-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freier View Post
Hi Team, after a quick search came across this older thread. Curious if any new recommendations have bubbled to the top over the past few years.

I am looking for a handlebar or alternative ipad mount while on the trainer. TIA
Mic stand looks like a pretty strong option.

Duct tape might be a cheap alternative

In my case, I need an ANT+ adapter to plug into my Mac (which means the iPad is out), so the laptop sits on a table in front of my trainer (and treadmill). It feeds an LCD tv on the wall and an older repurposed stereo with ADS L520 speakers sitting on the floor.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 02-12-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:55 PM

I use model specific Ram Mount cradles for transferring iPads between trainers and other locations. Cradles mate up to a wide variety of hardware to mount to flat surfaces, bars, etc.

https://mounts.factoryoutletstore.co...-mounts-ram-ho
l-ap21u.html?category_id=78648&catalogitemid=456146
Old 02-12-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
I've seen alot of people use cheap music stands in front of their bikes on the trainer. Not sure there is such a thing for an ipad on a bike handlebar.
This.. I use my music stand, I think they're a much better solution than trying to cram stuff on the bars.

1) As long as you get a music stand that's plenty tall it puts the ipad/computer much higher than a handlebar mount. That gets you looking up as if you were riding outside instead of looking down with bad posture.

2) You can get out of the saddle and ride really hard and the ipad is never going to move no matter how much you yank on the bars

3) The music stands are no more expensive than these cycling dongles and have everything included.

4) I usually don't actually have enough room on my bars for something else. I leave my Garmin up on the bars for recording + so I'm not messing with my bar setup. And I've gotta put the control unit for the trainer somewhere. (I have a Tacx.) . There's no room left.

5) Don't have to remove the iPad mount if you decide to take the bike outside on a nice day

You do need to make sure you get a tall one though. I end up putting mine up higher when using it with the trainer than I do standing to play guitar. There are a lot of music stands that are too short for either playing music standing up or for using with a trainer.

And you don't want the portable style with the metal fold-up top.. you want one with a solid back for iPads. They're too heavy compared to paper and too valuable to risk on the ones that fold up and are way more likely to drop your stuff.

I can't find the one I have on Amazon right now.. I can't remember what it is. But it's cheap, solid, and adjusts high.

Last edited by benb; 02-12-2020 at 02:43 PM.