Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Anyone else get some.....odd.....looking offers to your classifieds ads?

I have an ad for tires for sale. I got a reply from a user ID (removed), saying:

Hello,
I would gladly purchase your veloflex Carbon tubulars for your asking price of 155$
Let me know your PayPal account name and I will send the funds.
Thank you
J**** H***

(edited out part of the name he gave...)

Said user ID has been registered since 2013, but has zero posts on the forum....
Regardless of past similar experience that proved legit, I'd be inclined to send the guy a reply asking for his PayPal account and offer to send a bill.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:44 PM

Perhaps some of us are just too conditioned to be prematurely paranoid. I know that I unfortunately tend to be that way, and yet:

*I posted a Classifieds WTB for a black/blue Fizik Arione saddle.

*A few days later I received not one, but two PMs, offering to send me not one but two Ariones, for free.

*What??? I was immediately all looking-behind-me-all-around-me-antennas-up-suspicious-like....

*It turned out (also with the help of a very kind mod) that the PMs were from siblings, with of course different usernames, but only one had ever posted here at all.

*A couple of emails cleared up the confusion: the saddles were free because the "seller" no longer uses Ariones; is moving; and just wanted them gone. The sibling was simply trying to help.

*The saddles were packed very well; shipped faster than most "regular" PL members have ever shipped me anything; and are in perfect condition.

*The "seller" still refuses to accept any payment, not even to cover the shipping.

*The moral is: much to our far-too-insulated shock, sometimes people really are just being nice and polite.

The two siblings, you know who you are, and again I greatly appreciate your very kind gesture.

Cheers.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
Bike people are weird, getting weird messages is normal.
Hahaha, and paceliners seem to be a fair bit saner than my local CL bike people
Old 12-08-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Anyone else get some.....odd.....looking offers to your classifieds ads?

I have an ad for tires for sale. I got a reply from a user ID (removed), saying:

Hello,
I would gladly purchase your veloflex Carbon tubulars for your asking price of 155$
Let me know your PayPal account name and I will send the funds.
Thank you
J**** H***

(edited out part of the name he gave...)

Said user ID has been registered since 2013, but has zero posts on the forum....
If you still have said tubulars I will pay you 3x your asking price and just send the difference back to my Nigerian account
Old 12-08-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
If you still have said tubulars I will pay you 3x your asking price and just send the difference back to my Nigerian account
See, now this I trust, cause you have over 1k posts here! Plus, I'm guessing you are of Nigerian royalty, so nothing to worry about.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:11 PM

It reads just like many a Craigslist scam text I’ve received. Totally understand getting weird vibes on this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2017, 05:16 PM

Honestly the inquiry to your ad sounds weird to me too, OP. I would immediately think scam if I had received that message along with the other factors you mentioned.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostondrunk View Post
Probably worried that dnovo and dbrk are trying to corner the market for veloflex carbons...
Truer words never spoken
Old 12-10-2017, 08:37 AM

If you had posted to craigslist I’d say scam as well. But 4 years waiting for a set of tubulars to send you a pm to buy them screams either a crappy scammer or just a plain lurker who never feels the need to add to conversations, but uses the forum to find good deals.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:40 AM

The same day I posted this thread, I replied to him/her saying I had made a mistake, and that the price was actually $250, and asked if that was acceptable.
I haven't heard back yet...
Old 12-10-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Perhaps some of us are just too conditioned to be prematurely paranoid. I know that I unfortunately tend to be that way, and yet:

*What??? I was immediately all looking-behind-me-all-around-me-antennas-up-suspicious-like....

Cheers.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalderman View Post
It reads just like many a Craigslist scam text I’ve received. Totally understand getting weird vibes on this one!

Yep. I think your suspicion is justified because the script reads like a script...
Old 12-10-2017, 07:25 PM

Will consider interesting trades....
Old 12-11-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
The same day I posted this thread, I replied to him/her saying I had made a mistake, and that the price was actually $250, and asked if that was acceptable.
I haven't heard back yet...
Why did you do that?

There are some aspects to the Paceline "culture" that leave me scratching my head. You would think paying for something would grant most people the privilege of receiving goods for sale.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Why did you do that?

There are some aspects to the Paceline "culture" that leave me scratching my head. You would think paying for something would grant most people the privilege of receiving goods for sale.
I don't get that either. Why would one say the price was actually $95 more, just to gauge a reaction? I know that I as a potential buyer would be 100% done with that seller right then.

And, who knows, maybe the potential buyer started a thread on a forum somewhere titled "Odd offers to sell in classifieds?" about a seller who raised the price on some tires by $95 just like that, and all the posters there are replying, "Yes, extremely odd behavior indeed...."