Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2017, 05:15 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
Haha! Nope.
then, do you have a daughter that looks like this gal on the video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybFvomdhW2Y
Old 12-10-2017, 05:17 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Weisan-those rollers look like they have plastic drums and not alloy, no?

Kreitler offered a plastic drum for a period of time. My friend has a pair; probably 30 years old.

Obviously, the plastic doesn't have the issues with the build-up on the tires.

One problem I had with plastic rollers of a different brand-static electricity build-up. I'd stop riding, grab on to the steel support column in the basement, and my hand would about explode! I solved the problem; it's just something to be aware of if it happens to you.
peter pal, you are correct. my research also seems to point them to an older version. the seller claimed that they were 4-5 years old.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:37 AM
Redbasso2

I had a set of these of these older PVC drum sets for years. Once you get a little use to the roller action, no trainer setup can compare to it. The trainer seems so boring, so locked in! I finally got a set of Kreitler full alloy drum rollers off of a local CL ad and really not much different from what you have...the full alloy drums are a little smoother, but I thought the PVC drums were a little stickier/ easier to ride on.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
peter pal, you are correct. my research also seems to point them to an older version. the seller claimed that they were 4-5 years old.
The plastic rollers they made that I ever used had a different profile on the edge of the drums. But they changed so many things with no rhyme nor reason. It never occurred to me to think about those rollers. They were a brief and not too successful period in Kreitler's history. Two minor issues about them: First, don't put them in a car where they can get hard; the plastic can get soft and sag, and doesn't recover. Second, the plastic drums sometimes developed cracks around the bearing mounts on the sides (this was not the same plastic used on the Challenger series). Still, good rollers.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:44 AM

FYI, the first pair of rollers I bought, back in '79/'80, were then Bike Warehouse (maybe they just switched the name to Bike Nashbar; I don't remember). The rails were "C" channel aluminum, the drums were plastic, and the end caps were oak!

Shortly after ownership, I cracked a drum, and somehow contacted BW/Nashbar about repair. I was stationed in northeast Mississippi, and it just so happened the rollers were actually made in Greenville, MS, 130 miles away on the western border. I actually drove out there and exchanged my damaged roller with a replacement! The replacements had an oak disc wedged inside the roller to shore up the drum and prevent cracking. For the life of me, I can't remember what I did with those rollers...
Old 12-10-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
FYI, the first pair of rollers I bought, back in '79/'80, were then Bike Warehouse (maybe they just switched the name to Bike Nashbar; I don't remember). The rails were "C" channel aluminum, the drums were plastic, and the end caps were oak!

Shortly after ownership, I cracked a drum, and somehow contacted BW/Nashbar about repair. I was stationed in northeast Mississippi, and it just so happened the rollers were actually made in Greenville, MS, 130 miles away on the western border. I actually drove out there and exchanged my damaged roller with a replacement! The replacements had an oak disc wedged inside the roller to shore up the drum and prevent cracking. For the life of me, I can't remember what I did with those rollers...
Haha. Probably sold them to me. I've owned every kind of roller set in existence, from turned wood drums to the early ear-splitting Cinellis to TruTrainers and eMotions. I could be the DCRainmaker of rollers. Big audience. Great future. OCD? Absolutely.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i love rollers.

i definitely think they keep your bike handling skills a little sharper. have fun!
No kidding.

PSA: Do not watch motorcycle racing on television while you are on rollers. You will be inclined to lean into the corners with the racers on the screen, with the predictable consequences!

Not that I would do anything so silly. Just sayin'

And yea, it hurt.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:24 AM

FYI: Kreitler used to provide replacement belts at no charge

Don't know if they still do...but on the Kreitler website they list a lifetime warranty...so maybe so!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:25 AM
ZhugeLiang

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...3&postcount=27

Last edited by weisan; 12-11-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:26 AM
ZhugeLiang

Old 12-11-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Weisan secretly wanted to be a skateboarder, not a cyclist. His mother wouldn't let him, which led to his dysfunction as we know him today. This is the proof of it.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
No kidding.

PSA: Do not watch motorcycle racing on television while you are on rollers. You will be inclined to lean into the corners with the racers on the screen, with the predictable consequences!

Not that I would do anything so silly. Just sayin'

And yea, it hurt.
It usually takes at least 1,200 posts here to acquire that much wisdom.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
It usually takes at least 1,200 posts here to acquire that much wisdom.
Yea well, I've been posting on forums (rec.bicycles.just.riding.along) since before they were forums.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:25 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Weisan secretly wanted to be a skateboarder, not a cyclist. His mother wouldn't let him, which led to his dysfunction as we know him today. This is the proof of it.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Training wheels

You are shooting video right? :-)