Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2017, 05:53 PM

Campy Chorus crank failure

Just found the right crankarm pedal insert is loose on my 10 year old Chorus crankset. So, it appears I need a replacement. As these are on my backup bike I don't want to spend a lot. I assume the Potenza 11s crank will work with a 10 speed setup and a new BB will be needed. Can anyone, old Spud?, verify for me? The old cranks are 172.5 34/50 so I want to replace with the same type setup.

Tim
Old 08-09-2017, 06:10 PM

Why not look for the new Centaur 10 speed crank? Might save you some more buckaroos.

But yes, 11 speed and 10 speed stuff plays fine together from Campy.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Why not look for the new Centaur 10 speed crank? Might save you some more buckaroos.

But yes, 11 speed and 10 speed stuff plays fine together from Campy.
Saw that on Campagnolo's site but don't see it for sale anywhere.

Tim
Old 08-09-2017, 06:32 PM

May not be out yet, I know they just announced it.

But yeah, no issues. Potenza crank and Powertorque BB and you're good to go.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Why not look for the new Centaur 10 speed crank?
if you're referring to the new new centaur - it's 11-sp, not 10.

in any event, yes, the potenza crank will work. it uses powertorque cups, which are different than ultra torque, but have the cool self extracting arm, so no need for a crank puller to remove them.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:11 PM

New Potenza HO ("hydraulic optimized") cranksets are Ultratorque also and despite the name work with both rim and disc brakes

I'd guess that coupled with Centaur being Ultratorque means eventually Powertorque will be phased out completely?
Old 08-09-2017, 10:27 PM

Beware of the Q factor of Record / Chorus (145 mm usually) and other models, which have been 150-155 mm. It's a big enough difference for my knees to complain.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:33 PM

Funny you mention this, my older cf Centaur non-drive arm insert fully unthreaded and is stuck on my pedal as we speak. Tonight, I out on an alloy Record crank I bought on ebay. Square taper bb made it a no-brainer just to keep costs down.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:05 AM

Potenza will work just fine, get the BB and good to go.

I got one of those for my kid's bike. Really easy to set up, the thing I love is that self extracting crank. Never understood why campagnolo never designed power torque with that to start with, it would have helped to sell of those cranks like hot bread. Same with overtorque stuff...

The day I have money for another frame and money to buy a group I would buy potenza, looks super nice.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Just found the right crankarm pedal insert is loose on my 10 year old Chorus crankset. So, it appears I need a replacement. As these are on my backup bike I don't want to spend a lot. I assume the Potenza 11s crank will work with a 10 speed setup and a new BB will be needed. Can anyone, old Spud?, verify for me? The old cranks are 172.5 34/50 so I want to replace with the same type setup.

Tim
First, I'd try to remove the insert and JB weld it. Altho this is unusual, it's not unheard of. Second, with thet shifting system, you can use any crank/BB set up..10s or 11s. Potenza, Veloce, Centaur..Athena..lots of stuff out there. 10 years, 2007 UltraTorque, first gen or square taper, 2006 crank. If ST, lots of cranks on ebay..102mm spindle. Same for Ultratorque..the BB cup design is the same 2007 thru today.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-10-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
First, I'd try to remove the insert and JB weld it. Altho this is unusual, it's not unheard of. Second, with thet shifting system, you can use any crank/BB set up..10s or 11s. Potenza, Veloce, Centaur..Athena..lots of stuff out there. 10 years, 2007 UltraTorque, first gen or square taper, 2006 crank. If ST, lots of cranks on ebay..102mm spindle. Same for Ultratorque..the BB cup design is the same 2007 thru today.
Thanks Peter. It is an UT crank. The insert just wiggles a bit, not sure if I could get it out and JB Weld back in. Plus, I would hate for the thing to totally fail at some point. That could result in a painful crash.

I did search eBay but did not find much that would work. I am leaning towards a Potenza crank and BB, that should run me around $220 for the set.

Tim
Old 08-10-2017, 09:25 AM

Planet Cyclery has an eBay posting for a new Chorus crankset for $279 and 0 bids. If I could get it for that I may just move my 1st gen Chorus crank to the old bike and replace with this one. Not too sure about the appearance but I could get over it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-2...26.m2548.l4275

Tim
Old 08-10-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Planet Cyclery has an eBay posting for a new Chorus crankset for $279 and 0 bids. If I could get it for that I may just move my 1st gen Chorus crank to the old bike and replace with this one. Not too sure about the appearance but I could get over it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-2...26.m2548.l4275

Tim
See if they show the same crankset on their web site. Bypass E Bay. usually a bit cheaper. Still use Paypal etc.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
See if they show the same crankset on their web site. Bypass E Bay. usually a bit cheaper. Still use Paypal etc.
Tried that, it does not show up on their website. No compact Campy cranks do. Odd.

Update, if I search by brand they do show up, but for more money. I have had problems finding things on that website in the past.

Tim

Last edited by mcteague; 08-10-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
Beware of the Q factor of Record / Chorus (145 mm usually) and other models, which have been 150-155 mm. It's a big enough difference for my knees to complain.
That may have been true for Campagnolo cranks for square taper spindles, but they have standardized the Q factor for all their integrated spindle cranks (Ultra Torque & Power Torque). All integrated spindle double chainring cranks, from Veloce to Super Record, have a Q factor of 144.5 mm (and a U factor of 128 mm). This is one of the reasons I'm primary using Campagnolo cranks on my bikes.