Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2017, 10:06 PM

Clearance is already going to be a little tight with the Horizons - I wonder of those byways will fit. How much will those side knobs impact the tire width?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I'll be curious to hear actual comparisons between this tire and the larger, but 110g lighter Thunder Burt Liteskin.
The Cutthroat group on Facebook are not fans of the Thunder Burt. Pretty much universally reviled. They are on the OEM build. Apparently not durable. Not sure if it is the Liteskin version.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Clearance is already going to be a little tight with the Horizons - I wonder of those byways will fit. How much will those side knobs impact the tire width?
On that note, I wonder how the Horizon and Byway compare in width to Compass Switchback Hills. The SBWs just barely fit my bike and I'd love something a hair less plump....anyone have experience on Compass v WTB widths?

Instagram
Old 04-21-2017, 09:50 AM
I <Heart> Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
On that note, I wonder how the Horizon and Byway compare in width to Compass Switchback Hills. The SBWs just barely fit my bike and I'd love something a hair less plump....anyone have experience on Compass v WTB widths?
Byways came in at 47mm on WTB i23 KOM rims.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:24 AM

Well, crap, the 47mm horizon doesnt fit into the frame. The widest part of the tire doesnt match up with the most clearance in the chainstays. The tire measures just under 47mm mounted on 24mm wide (inside) easton rims. Its *so* close.... damn.

What 42-44mm tires will set up tubeless?

Panaracer sells a 27.5x1.75/42mm gravel king, but doesnt call it out as tubeless.

Edit: Looks like the tires that are spec'd on the Cannondale slate are made by panaracer, and are a tubeless version of the pari-moto 27.5x1.75... that might be what I "need"

What else is out there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18362612_1314349601947738_1834953168_o.jpg (55.0 KB, 234 views)

Last edited by .RJ; 05-06-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:33 AM

650b x 42mm Gravelking's set up beautifully tubeless. I've been on a pair for a couple of months with no issues. Plenty of others on them too - check the 650b Google Group.

My understanding is that the Slate tires are probably a Gravelking, not a Pari-Moto. P-M's are thinner, and I've seen reports of failed tubeless setups.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:36 AM
aka RAEKWON

the babyshoe set up tubeless, tons of people including myself ran them like that but they are not technically tubeless so ymmv
Old 05-06-2017, 09:17 AM
Bike Guy

that new WTB Byway looks to be pretty well unbeatable IMO. I am definitely looking at putting some on my Soma Wolverine.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:49 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

Soma Cazadero might work for you. They set up fairly narrow for their width.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keevon View Post
650b x 42mm Gravelking's set up beautifully tubeless. I've been on a pair for a couple of months with no issues. Plenty of others on them too - check the 650b Google Group.
I'm going to order a pair of these.

Anyone want to buy a pair of WTB horizons? Brand new, $45/ea.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
The internet provided with this nugget of info - https://www.instagram.com/p/BRgn7XGFb3n/
Also, this is really confusing... I tried putting these in my wife's bike (alloy crux) and they are hard up against the chainstays. How do they fit that guys bike?

Last edited by .RJ; 05-06-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keevon View Post

My understanding is that the Slate tires are probably a Gravelking, not a Pari-Moto. P-M's are thinner, and I've seen reports of failed tubeless setups.
Keevon, did you have any issues getting your gravel kings setup? I got mine home last night from the shop and when the tire bead drops into the center channel of the rim, its far too loose to take the blast of air. I've got a bontrager chamber pump and also tried with a compressor @ 120psi with the valve core removed, that should seat anything. I'm thinking I need an extra layer of tape around the rim to build up the center channel.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Keevon, did you have any issues getting your gravel kings setup? I got mine home last night from the shop and when the tire bead drops into the center channel of the rim, its far too loose to take the blast of air. I've got a bontrager chamber pump and also tried with a compressor @ 120psi with the valve core removed, that should seat anything. I'm thinking I need an extra layer of tape around the rim to build up the center channel.
It took some effort to set them up, but I didn't have a compressor. Here's my labor-intensive method:

1. Mount tire with a tube, inflate to seat both beads.
2. Deflate tube, pop bead on ONE SIDE ONLY, remove tube.
3. Install valve stem (with removable core).
4. Use a tire lever to manually seat bead as much as possible. There's a YouTube video about this - basically you hook the lever under the bead and pull it up into the hook on the rim. You'll only get about 3/4 of the way around the wheel until it becomes too hard to move the tire lever.
5. Hook up a floor pump and PUMP LIKE HELL. That should be enough to seat the remaining section on bead. A compressor would help here.
6. Deflate, remove valve core, squeeze in sealant, install valve core, pump up and shake.
7. Repeat with the other wheel and ride!

I sealed my Pacenti CL-25's with one layer of Gorilla tape. Once the tires were set up, they've been great. Picked up a few shards of glass that the sealant took care of quickly, and had to top off sealant in my rear tire after a couple of months.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2017, 07:57 AM

Old 05-10-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Did you try installing with a tube first? I find it helps big time having one side already in place.