Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2017, 07:24 PM

I've increasingly gotten into XC during the winter months, great exercise and beats the fluid trainer in the basement. There are so many places to go if you have any kind of snowfall -- from golf courses to state parks to more elaborate and groomed trails systems. I am self taught (mostly) but have benefited from having more expert friends. As with anything, if you want to go bang around the woods on skis, you can have fun and get good exercise without a lot of complexity. If you want to go really fast, have great form, etc., the. You'd probably benefit from lessons. I fall into the former category. As a side note, as with PL, there is plenty of cheap serviceable used equipment out there. After messing with various set ups, I've opted for the gravel grinder version of skis -- a mid width, steel edged, backcountry set up that is great for getting out in the woods.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
Are you skate skiing or classic skiing? Either one can be learned without lessons if you have a downhill skiing background.
Hmmm, I'm no sure about this with skate skiing. Skate skiing is all technique, and if you don't learn right, you're just going to flail - a lot - and get exhausted going nowhere really slowly. Been there. Skating with XC skis is nothing like skating on alpine skis.

Classic is the easiest, esp with no-wax skis, plus you don't need a groomed track.

My 2 cents,
Murph
Old 12-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Member?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
Hmmm, I'm no sure about this with skate skiing. Skate skiing is all technique, and if you don't learn right, you're just going to flail - a lot - and get exhausted going nowhere really slowly. Been there. Skating with XC skis is nothing like skating on alpine skis.

Classic is the easiest, esp with no-wax skis, plus you don't need a groomed track.

My 2 cents,
Murph
I found skate xc skiing to be very similar to skating on alpine gear. My opinion is if you can skate across the flats on alpine gear with proper technique, you can skate on xc skis quite easily. My .02 cents. Heck, I can skate on my long classic no wax skis without much difficulty. I did race alpine technical events (slalom and GS) for 10 years or so, perhaps that's the difference.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
I found skate xc skiing to be very similar to skating on alpine gear. My opinion is if you can skate across the flats on alpine gear with proper technique, you can skate on xc skis quite easily. My .02 cents. Heck, I can skate on my long classic no wax skis without much difficulty. I did race alpine technical events (slalom and GS) for 10 years or so, perhaps that's the difference.
I totally agree. I had only ever done downhill and classic, but tried skating for the first time last year and got completely, totally hooked. It blew my mind. I think it's actually more thrilling and satisfying than cycling in many ways. While different certainly than skating across the flats on downhill skis, it's not that different.

Can't wait to get up this year. I usually just mope about craving cycling when the weather's bad, but I've found myself craving skate skiing when the weather was good this summer and fall. So much fun. Entering a race this year. We'll see how it goes!!
Old 12-11-2017, 06:05 AM

Lived in Michigan for 20 years and used cross country racing/training as a big part of my cycling fitness program (both classic and skating). For you guys just getting into it and wanting to try it on ungroomed golf courses and the like: get a cheap touring ski ( if you get a performance classic ski or skate ski, it will be too narrow and sink down too much). If you are lucky enough to have access to groomed trails, look for "combi" equipment. It works for both classic and skating very well. If anyone has specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:44 AM

A reasonable, versatile set of skis are 60mm shovel, and traditional length. The Fischer Country is a perfect example. They will allow you to ski on and off track. You don't need BC boots. Don't be pulled into the short ski concept. They were designed for the US market to accommodate novice skiers who move with their weight centered between the skis. Metal edges are fine if you find yourself mostly on hard, icy snowmobile trails. If you are mostly on golf courses, bike paths, or other areas with un-groomed snow, the metal edges will never be employed. Same if you ski on groomed touring center trails. In my quiver of skis, I still have a pair of Fischer Countrys, and they get pressed into service a surprising amount.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:25 AM

Having only classic skied in Minnesota most my life until 2 years ago, I found skate extremely fun. Much more challenging to learn the basics, but highly rewarding and great training!

I'm working on my ski quiver. Aside my cheap and burnt out skate skis i'm hoping to get some metal edge/waxless fellas for romping around off groomed trails in the Boundary Waters.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
bump

i have never tried cross country skiing, but seeing all the cool carriage roads in minnewaska state park has me considering.

i think, if my local REI or someplace offers rental equipment, that would be the way to go to flesh out what i would want.

do you guys think that for someone who knows the basics of downhill skiing, lessons would be required, or just grab some equipment, watch some videos for basic technique and hit the trails?
Getting back to the OP's question: It depends a lot on what kind of skiing you plan to do - where you want to ski, and what you plan to get out of it. Do you want to go into the back country, or stay on well maintained trails? Do you want to get a an intense aerobic/anaearobic work out, or do you just want to stretch your legs in the outdoors? Will your skiing excursions be relatively short, or will you be doing long distances?

If you thought there was a lot of different kinds of cycling, there may be even more different kinds of skiing!