Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2017, 02:21 PM

OT: GPS watches

My wife has a tomtom gps watch, but doesn't like uploading her runs to the website/app. Is there a simple gps watch that just keeps track of stuff and then overwrites it without having to upload all your runs?
Old 12-10-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
My wife has a tomtom gps watch, but doesn't like uploading her runs to the website/app. Is there a simple gps watch that just keeps track of stuff and then overwrites it without having to upload all your runs?
My Garmin Vivoactive HR purchased last year does this. Pretty sure there are now a bunch of other competitive brand and cost options available.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Administrator

i'm kind of a gear junkie, and have never run with a watch that is better than garmin for gps applications, and i've tried a bunch. suunto has a few models out right now that are pretty good, but none that eclipse the functionality of the garmin IMO.

depending on actual needs, you will not go wrong looking at the specs of the garmin forerunner series and picking one that works with her needs and price point.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:45 PM

Ill look at the vivoactive and see if that might work. She doesnt want anyhing fancy, so just basic funtions like speed, distance, pace, time would be most of what she wants at this point.

Angry... do you know if the basic garmins like the 15/25 require you to upload runs to clear the memory? I use a tomtom as well and while I guess it's nice to be able to track all your activities since the dawn of time, I just use it as a pacing tool while running.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 12-10-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:48 PM

The 25 that I have has a 7 day memory. It overwrites automatically whether you’ve uploaded or not. It also has an on board menu for post activity. Pace and lap times. as well distance and time avg. Heart rate too I believe.. Pretty sure you can set custom lap distances, but I just use one mile.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:50 PM
Administrator

i'm pretty certain that none of the garmins do you HAVE to download the memory, they will just overwrite.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i'm pretty certain that none of the garmins do you HAVE to download the memory, they will just overwrite.
That is the way it is with mine - the last run/entry is overwritten (if you dont download it) but it does store it in history (in case you want to review previous events).
PS - Garmin support was excellent (on the two occasions that I contacted them).
Old 12-10-2017, 08:35 PM

Garmin Fenix 3HR

The Fenix I have automatically downloads my runs as soon as I get back to my house and it automatically syncs with Strava. No hassles.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:36 AM

Been running w Garmin for about 10 years with a brief stint w Nike TomTom and will echo that the Garmin is the way to go. With the vivoactive you don’t even have to save your runs. You can delete them or throw in trash immediately.

I am interested in the newest version of the Apple watch. However, it appears that I’d be paying a 10/mo fee because it would be on a cellular network?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2017, 11:26 AM

garmin forerunner if you are mostly running
Old 12-11-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Isn't there a way to delete the runs on the watch? I have a Garmin and once I complete a run I have the option to save or discard the run. I can save it initially and then delete it after I download. She should also be able to have it sync via bluetooth to her phone so as long as she sets up the app on the phone it will all upload automatically (she would not have to view the downloaded file).
Old 12-11-2017, 07:34 PM

You would think you could delete from the watch, but you cant. The only way to clear the watch is to download it. Its kind of a dumb design because if the memory is full you cant use the watch until you upload. Still prefers a flip phone, so no bluetooth to the app.
Looks like the garmin 15/25 will be great for what she wants from a running watch.