Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2017, 08:46 AM

Rapha Warmup jacket — was gonna write a review of my commuting get-up with it included, but... Anyhow, I wear it often off the bike, as well as on the bike when I’m riding in to work (about 8 miles each way, with a couple of decent hills along the way). I layer it either with a thin T-shirt or a T-shirt + thin wool long-sleeve down to 40*F, or with a thicker wool (Wabi Woolens) down to 30*F. I really like the fit and versatility. The off-center zipper is take it or leave it - I’d be fine with a regular. What I really want now is a vest version of this jacket... (and for my collarbone to heal) Too bad they Rapha don’t seem to carry it anymore?..
Old 12-09-2017, 09:09 AM

Agreed, a great jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
Not 30 mins ago I ordered this jacket/mid layer. They have been out of stock for at least 9 mos and just a week or so ago they announced they had some. It might fit your needs. They are a small Colorado Co, all products made in Pagosa Springs and even the sheep are from the USA. I hope they don't go the way of Ibex.

https://voormi.com/collections/midla...s-drift-jacket
I've had mine for a couple of years and it's both great looking and very functional. Great for skiing or tooling around town, but haven't ever worn it on the bike.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckred View Post
I've had mine for a couple of years and it's both great looking and very functional. Great for skiing or tooling around town, but haven't ever worn it on the bike.
Coincidentally, I intend on using mine as a midlayer skiing and also hacking around town, maybe on the bike some too.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:39 AM
underachiever

I just picked up a Kitsbow Tech Jacket on closeout. Was originally $325, then $195 and a closeout bargain of $97. Made in the USA too. It's seems exactly what you're looking for but unfortunately they sold out. Possibly it's available at a retailer somewhere on the interwebs. I also have a Kitsbow long sleeve all-mountain jersey I got a few years ago and it's a great jacket. Their stuff fits on the slim side which I like (I wear an XS).

Old 12-10-2017, 08:24 AM

Nice jacket. I like the Kitsbow designs, only wish they'd expand their color range outside of dark blue, gray, and black.

I tried out a couple of Marmots I might go with. Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.

Concluding sidebar: I tried out the Patagonia Adze yesterday. Talk about strange sizing. I normally wear a large and I fit into a... small? And the hems and arms are too long, even for me at 6' tall. Can't see how I'd layer that underneath something without looking like I have on an apron. I still like them but I wish they'd get more consistent with their sizing, which seems a little out of wack the past couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDangerPants View Post
I just picked up a Kitsbow Tech Jacket on closeout. Was originally $325, then $195 and a closeout bargain of $97. Made in the USA too. It's seems exactly what you're looking for but unfortunately they sold out.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:26 AM
Administrator

totally agree on the pagagonia sizing. a lot of their stuff fits me good, but a lot does not, very inconsistent. i pretty much wont buy anything i cant try on. they should really straighten that out.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:06 PM

You might consider one of the discontinued Arcteryx A2B softshell jackets if you can find a NOS one somewhere.
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/ar...r-men~p~9354h/

Swrve also has some casual cycling jackets. https://swrve.us/collections/jackets

KJ
Old 12-11-2017, 06:57 AM
underachiever

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhoo View Post
Nice jacket. I like the Kitsbow designs, only wish they'd expand their color range outside of dark blue, gray, and black.
My A/M jacket is a lovely green. Also check out Mammut as they tend to be on the slim side. I had a couple of fleece jackets a few years back and liked them a lot. For Patagonia, their slim fit isn't as form fitting as advertised. I still take an XS but the chest is a little more roomy than I'd like.

As @xnetter mentioned, try SWRVE. I have several pair of their shorts and the quality is superb.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I have the same jacket as AngryScientist, only a slightly newer version of it. I've had it 7 years and it's my go to jacket from feb - april and sept - dec. I've ridden in it when it's below freezing (road and mtb). In fact, I love it so much, i bough a bike specific winter jacket (pearl izumi) because I was afraid of slipping on ice and ripping the jacket.

I've worn it over my puffy jacket when it's in the tweens and windy/precipitating and I've worn it under my hardshell. It's roomy for layers but not too roomy to get in your way. It doesn't look baggy either.

Drawcord on the collar is a nice touch too.