Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2017, 11:32 AM

Get to know the other bike commuters who lock up in the same spot, and talk them into buying really, really nice bikes.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt eunuch View Post
I have to have a parking spot in a garage for my car anyway, ha!
wait, in an entire parking garage there's absolutely nowhere for you to lock up your bike? or is that just as insecure?

at least it'd be out of the rain though...
Old 10-12-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
wait, in an entire parking garage there's absolutely nowhere for you to lock up your bike? or is that just as insecure?

at least it'd be out of the rain though...
Other cyclist have been explicitly told, and notes have been left on bicycles threatening removal if they are not 'on the rack outside'
Old 10-12-2017, 12:12 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Other cyclist have been explicitly told, and notes have been left on bicycles threatening removal if they are not 'on the rack outside'
How many bikes are we talking about? If the building owner is only concerned about monetizing each parking space, see if you can work out a way to pitch in on a space for bike parking--or ask your employer to cover it (as they probably would for your car) and make X people happy as opposed to just 1 driver.

Find out which coworkers ride, and present your case as a group. As individuals and in aggregate you are significant investments for your company.

The comment on attracting talent is right on. Your employer needs to value you by helping you push this building owner into the modern era.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:33 PM

Telling the OP to solve his problem by getting his employer/building owner to change is not helpful.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
wow, so if a legit thief doesn't swipe your bike, the building owner will? that's rough.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
Buy a cheap beater cargo van and leave it parked in the lot. Put bike inside!
Genius lol
Old 10-12-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Genius lol
Strip it, build a rack inside, and make copies of the keys for your biking co-workers. Maybe they'll pitch in...
Old 10-12-2017, 06:30 PM

Somewhere nearby?, another building? Put a motorcycle movement alarm somewhere in the frame?
Old 10-12-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhlen1980 View Post
Telling the OP to solve his problem by getting his employer/building owner to change is not helpful.
True, although in my case I talked to HR, who talked to a VP who called and chewed out the building manager who eventually (OK it took more than a year) installed a rack in a secure location- just outside tinted windows where a thief would have no idea who's looking. We had 1 floor of a 5 floor building and our lease was expiring so the VP had an unspoken threat as we had some other issues as well.

But, prolly not helpful.

In the meantime I fixed a beater of beaters and loved it for what it was- an 80s rattle canned schwinn converted fixie with 35c Nashbar brand city tires, duck taped saddle and steel sawed-off handlebar to convert drops to a bullhorn, steel front rim wheel. Literally (pun intended) saved it from curbside recycling where it was too wrecked to get snagged by anybody. Attitude adjustment- I came to appreciate the bike as the ultimate practical urban warhorse that it was, took pride in the grunge before taking my place in taupe cubicle hell. The ride to work is in your head, make of it what you want and embrace it- it will become your favorite pair of threadbare jeans. When I changed jobs for another where commuting is impossible, I gave it to a coop, and I really miss it.

Oh, and just mount your lights to your helmet, and keep your tube and pump or whatever in your commuting bag. Nothing to steal here.

Last edited by zennmotion; 10-12-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efuentes View Post
Somewhere nearby?, another building? Put a motorcycle movement alarm somewhere in the frame?
This was my thought. Are there any other buildings nearby? Maybe other business that you patron that you could ask as a loyal customer? I would think in what sounds like an urban area there would be someone who would help. Or find a coworker who drives a van or truck with camper shell, etc and ask if you can store inside. Even a Large trunk, front wheel off, bike inside.

Last edited by msl819; 10-12-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:53 PM

So the OP has a reserved parking spot in a parking garage, yet he can't substitute his car for a bike?!

The property manager must really hate cyclists.

I think zennmotion said it best about using a beater. The OP is going to have to change his way of thinking. All you need with that beater is the right saddle, pedals, bars, and the fit. The rest is negotiable. Or get a folding bike and bring it in your cubicle.

Personally, I'd build that beater and plaster messages all over it saying "Property Management "X" Sucks"!

Another thought would be to see if an adjacent building has a friendlier property manager. Even though you may not work in that building, the management might have more secure bike facilities. Also, sometimes the dumpsters are surrounded by fencing. Lock your bike to a non-visible side of the fencing.

I feel for ya'.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:18 AM

this does make me curious as to the OP's city/and the management company working for one myself.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
Buy a cheap beater cargo van and leave it parked in the lot. Put bike inside!
DAMN, what an idea!
Old 10-13-2017, 10:17 AM

I wonder if one of these signs near the bike rack would have a convincing effect on would-be criminals...